Thread: Diaries of a Sicillian King

warluster's Avatar Miles

Default Diaries of a Sicillian King

Introduction
    A Stronghold of Will

Here I stand, top of the world. Or so it seems. I, Roberto, King of Sicily and Duke of Calabria, am ruler. My father died in battle this year. A tragic death, and very unfortunate as he was shot down by a wall of bolts. And now I am King.

To put my reign in concrete I must, I repeat, enforce my rule. I have many brother’s and many more nephew’s all who want this title. So, to make sure I don’t appear weak, I shall conquer the rest of Sicily. I am ashamed to call myself King of Sicily, and a Christian, when the Muslim’s own at least half of it as well.

A large army stands outside the large Muslim city to the south. So; even though they have at least 200 more men, I must do it to appear a strong ruler, and to please the Pope.

Gergenti

The battle was easy.

A favourite French artist of mine painted the whole battle, or at least its main highlights. Our plan was easy and simple. Our strongest units, the Sarcean Swords, entered battle with the enemy frontline

. I assigned reserve’s behind, Frankish Footknights and Urban Miltia, while I and my bodyguard

, and my nephew’s bodyguard, charged behind them and annihilated their archer’s, thu we stabbed them from behind and won…

This leaves Gergenti, and one more piece of Sicily, open to my grasp. Can anyone question my motives now? Can any of them say why I concentrate on killing Christian’s in te north and head for Rome, like my father did, instead of wiping Sicily of any Muslim invader’s? Now, let the wolrd know Roberto, Norman, Sicilian and Christian, shall not let anyone touch Sicily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was wrote a HRE AAR about a year ago; I enjoyed it very much and when I tried out the Rome Medieval mod I also decided to give CTW another go. Hooked once again so here I am; my second AAR about the King's of Sicily. Every King is diffrent obviously; so I hope to Role Play them diffrently every time. This time; there are picture's.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Diary's of a Sicillian King

Nice

I will add it soon to the stckied AAR-list.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

warluster's Avatar Miles

Chapter I
    The Second Piece of a Crusader Puzzle

I stood in a large pavilion, at its mouth. I was observing Girgenti. It was rather a small town, though valued highly by the Muslim’s for its ports to Africa and the Middle East. Its garrison was tiny, our Army was 3 times bigger easily. So why not give up?

Because we’re Christian.

That fact was certainly true. The more he thought about it the more it angered him. Because by thinking of what favour they were doing here; sacrificing good Sicillian, Greek and Christian lives, it received no gratefulness. The Pope said nothing, but I still remain loyal.

Someone shuffled around the corner and he stonily stared at a wondrous advisor.
    “My Lord, we have several notice’s.” I nodded confirmation.
    “On this day Boemundo d’Altavilla was born in Palermo. He is a true Christian and his parent’s seek your blessing.”
    “Are all the custom’s holding through?”
    “Yes, my lord.”
    “Then I shall.”
    He sat down.
    “Anything else?” I asked wearily.
    “A bishop has joined Ruggero.” I nodded and he left bowing and left me to my planning.

That siege lasted a long two year’s. Still no word from the Pope, and still nothing new about Sicily! Girgenti remains under siege, and I impatient. Was, impatient I mean. Today our scouts spotted a relief Muslim army speeding toward’s us. With the garrison they make a combined army of over 600 soldier’s. Being true Christian warrior’s we armoured up and prepared for another battle; let us hope the Lord gives us a well deserved victory.

The Second Batle of Girgenti

A hard battle. I was worried about Italian matter’s and my mind was not on the job, so much that my knight’s, so inspired by the outbreak of pious people, were worried my sickness was coming back. I broke this by quickly ordering Ruggero, my trusted nephew, to my flank while me and my knight’s quickly covered the other.

Once again using the double line formation I rushed my knight’s forward, I amongst them, at the approaching Army of Levy Spearmen.

Ruggero still says it was a gut full of brvery, though I know he means stupidity. Me and my 35 knight’s charged a 400 strong army of soldier’s. Half of them were archer’s though but reinforcemet’s, Sarcean Heavy Infantry, were running to their aid.

So we charged and attacked. We were winning, then losing.

We lost one knight but they at least fourty. I was hardly aware of anything until I saw Ruggero charge them from behind. We crushed them between each other and only 20 were left out of some 400. Both of our group’s galloped behind the reinforcement army but were noticed by more Sarcean Heavy Infantry. With our hopes dashed we charged them head on with spectacular result’s.

They ran and we killed every last one before hearing the horn for help. I then saw my precious Norman Cavarly was being killed by heavily armoured Ghulam Cavarly. Me and Ruggero both seemed to kick them in the behind as we charged them. As the last two case’s showed, the Ghulam soliders were all killed, every…last…one.

As victory was proclaimed, I noticed my infantry never moved once. Me, Ruggero and those Norman;s single handily won this battle.

As we cleared the field I was approached by a wary messenger.
    “My Lord; a new knight apprache’s.” he informed.
    “It does every day, soldier, followed by day.”
    “No! No, my Lord! A new person for Sicily. He is scared though; scared he will not not be accepted as Sicily is entirely d’Altavilla.”
    “Invite him here.” And so for the following hours I met Serlo Moncada. A Greek Christian who was eager to serve Sicily, and said he had advice to give me when settled in. He seems fine enough, I tell my nephew. I hope, when I pass, he is accepted into such a family strong country.

The Muslim Army was thrashed so entirely that it routed completely.

Though we have the worry that Muslim bandits now roam Sicily, it weakens the city considerably. The next day the doors to Girgenti opened and our Army entered victoriously as half the population was enslaved and sent off to Palermo. For every passing Muslim I mutter;
    “For Sicily, d’Altavilla reign and the Lord.”

As this happens words about me travel Europe, about my devotion and piousness and how I am a ‘fanatic’. How does that work out?

The puzzle of our small 'Crusade', you could call it, is finally coming together. I only hope I live long enough to see all of Sicily ours; or at least out of hungry Muslim hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunely I had no time to add my effects to it; but have kept the pictures as they are. Some mighty good ones were captured.

I am keeping to 13 pictures each Chapter to lessen the strain of loading. Is it too much or should I add a few more? I only hope Roberto lives long enough to see all of Sicily conquered; his heir looks pretty bad...
    Last edited by warluster; March 23, 2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Adding my comments

Patrician Artifex

I like your AAR as is ... but, what is the version you are playing? I'm sure it is not a 0.9x version
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

warluster's Avatar Miles

Waiting for someone to notice.

0.65. I never downloaded the new one as
    (a) Takes a while.
    (b) I'm happy with 0.65, don't see any really new feature's I want too download it for.

Though I'd be happy to try 0.90, unfortunely there is only 0.95... Any recommendations for 0.9x?

Patrician Artifex

Well, every Chiv version has several updates (changes, added material and fixes), and of course also special features, but if you think you're happy with a version from December 2006, why not ... otherwise, i recommend the current version 0.96 until we have the new build out.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 23, 2008 at 08:15 PM.

warluster's Avatar Miles

Chapter II
    The Beginning...

Victorious; top of the world. Half of Sicily mine; the Muslims are defeated and my name is known around Christendom. The Muslims are still here; but age grabs me. So; I have sent Moncada and Ruggero with a large army and they lay siege to Sycruase.

It is rumored to have Greeks in it; it does I know. But I do not care; those Greeks should've thought twice when they meddled in Sicillian matters. But... their empire is large, we can not afford such a war.

News reaches me slowly; the siege is boring and long. I am though preoccupied when my son, Ruggiero, comes of age. THis is good; but all garrison's are full. None have space to offer.

So I make some.

Ruggero slips up in Sycruase when he basiclly gives the enemy a regiment of good spearmen. So; today he has been brought back to Palmero and replaced with Ruggiero.

Though he remains a brother; Ruggiero is a son. Before Ruggiero leaves he is married. The line continues! I have appointed him heir to the throne, replacing Ruggero, and he is joyous, though Ruggero has gone into exile.

The Greeks; far from angry; have offered to help me in my crusade against the Muslims in Sicily. They gave us rights to trade and a map of their empire. The Emperor is kind, thankfully.

Or maybe scared? Moncada, full of infomation, tells me we are the richest in Christendom. And for good, eh?

Sycruase sallied forth with their mixed cultural garrison, even some Sicillians were there. All in all; they were executed.

And we enslve them once again! The Kingdom grows! Three major cities expand their population as Greeks, Lombards, Normans and Franks fill the cities with news of riches!

Chirstendom knows we're rich! We have many victories and stand for why they fight! They flock to us!

And Sicily... is united.

TO my intense pleasure Moncada is practically adored. He captured a Muslim banner and holds it in fine guard. He goes well... I hope Ruggiero eaccepts him.

The Muslims come on their knees and beg for a ceasefire. Hah! I do such a thing? No! It was easily refused.

Moncada grows eager. With the Muslim Caliphate's in Sicily gone he heads north and waits on the border. To my prediction Ruggiero comes to me begging for authorisation to attack the Lombard's up north.

I refuse! How dare he!? Kill innocent christian's? Destroy the image I worked so hard to create? No... I shall never.

As soon as he leaves the city stirs. Palermo rioted today and the doors to my chamber's were ripped open.
    "My Lord! We must leave at once!" and so we left for Palermo docks where I write from now. Unfortunely... two of my famioly were killed in the riots... Boemundo and Ruggero.

This grievous news travels the Kingdom and received with bowed heads. Boemundo; unknown but surely a fine christian. And Ruggero; a hero of the Sicillian Campaigns...

The later news receives raise heads though. The Greeks had, in the last 5 years, occupied Bari in Southern italy, north of Calabria. Its population remained unhappy so they kciked the Greeks out and raised our flag. Already Moncada and Ruggiero are in Bari celebrating.

Unfortunely... this means war with the Greeks as they ask for it to be returned to their cold hands.

I have been involed in fiearce duels with Greek diplomats lately so I was unaware of more recent events. The Duchy of Naples further north have been supporting the Greeks so Moncada and Ruggiero swept in and sieged it.

As the Greeks tried to appeal to my kinder side...

The Muslims seem to be aiming to please us as they set up a deadly assasain's guild near Greek lands. This will defintely distract the coming Greek tide.

And then Moncada rode into Capua and claimed Naples Sicillian and Norman... forever. He has served the Kingdom well...

Now our Kingdom is becoming more of a Empire... I dare not voice that in Palermo as the Romans, Germans or Greeks might rush forward and stop us at once, but it seems inevitable. Sicily, South Italy... Now only Roma stands in the way, along with Spoleto...

of a Empire...

Patrician Artifex

Added to the stickied AAR list