Thread: PBeM Campaign

Default PBeM Campaign

Hey guys,

since I'm bored of quitting because i go to a certain point and always get kicked my @ss, I want to play a PBeM campaign. I have started some, 1 being sucessful, other ran by me, but I did not play, and a third which I ran without sucess. So, do you want to play PBeM?

Ch33rs

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: PBeM Campaign

Excuse me asking, but what on earth is PBeM? Never heard of it.... :hmmm:

NEver heard PBeM? Well, I will try to explain what a PBeM is...

Well, this is: (please notice its from the org, and it had some links there. I hope you understand)
    Its quite simple really, one player starts off a campaign (usually the host plays the first reign).

A list of players is created, then when the player's king dies the savegame file is Zipped and uploaded to the Org's filespace. He then writes up the events of his reign for all to see.
    A title is given to his king to reflect his reign A historical example of such a title is King Edward I The Hmmer of the Scots for his brutal campaigns in Scotland.

The next player on the list downloads the .ZIP file extracts it to his savegame folder, and continues the campaign for the duration of his King's lifespan... He then uploads it for the next guy when done, write up his reign, gets his own title, etc.

Sometimes the host may decide to put some rules in a game, such as: avoid excommunication these are especially common in the GA Mode games and to keep the campaign going for a long while.

MODERATOR EDIT:

Further explanation of downloading and uploading saves:

One of the forum sticky's ("A file space for PBM") gives this link:

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Up.../pbmupload.php

Click on this and you can either:

a) download existing savegames. You do this by clicking the "view upload directory link" and then clicking on the savegame of your choice.
    or

b) upload your own savegame. You do this by clicking the "browse" button, finding your file (please zip them first) and then clicking the "upload" button.

A few other pointers:
    - It is good to post screenshots. These should be in jpg format. TW produces TGA format screenshots. These can be saved as jpg using packages such as Irfanview, which is available freely on the web. Reduce screenshots to 75% size so that people can view the thread easily without scrolling. Screenshots can be hosted by services such as Imageshack. If you have trouble taking screenshots in RTW (black screens etc), then you can use a package such as FRAPS, also available freely on the web. [1]
    - It is bad form to sign up for a PBM and then disappear; even worse if you disappear with the savegame. Everyone understands that real life takes priority, but keep communicating while playing the PBM (e.g. post every couple of days) and pass on your turn if you just don't have time.
    - To conserve space, only upload *.ZIP or *.RAR savegames to the Org uploader. Packages to zip and unzip these formats are freely available on the web.

[1] A more explicit guide to taking and hosting screenshots:

(1) I use FRAPS to take screenshots. FRAPS is a free programme you can download from the web. RTWs screenshot function should work as well, but gives me all black TGAs. FRAPS is very easy to use: download & install it, then run it before each RTW game and during the game you can press F10 whenever you want a screenshot.

(2) Screenshots are saved in TGA format and are rather big. So I edit them with Irfranview to reduce them to 75% size and save them as JPG. Irfranview is a free programme you can download from the web. Many other packages would do as well.

(3) Finally, I upload the jpgs on

http://www.imageshack.us/

Once you've browsed to your jpg and clicked "host it", imageshack will take you to a list of various links you can copy into your post. I find the one they list as "hotlink for forums (2)" works fine, so just cut and paste that link into Org post and you are done.

FURTHER MODERATOR EDIT: WotS or Will of the Senate Style Games

The type of PBM that the the Emperor describes in this post is sometimes called a "succession game". A variant which has become popular was first tried in the "Will of the Senate" (WotS) RTR PBM here in the Throne Room. It was then adopted in the "King of the Romans" (KotR) M2TW PBM.

What WotS style games add to standard succession games are:
    (1) Devolved battles: Each player is represented by a general (avatar) and when that general gets into a battle, the controlling player fights the battle.
    (2) Democracy: The player who runs the faction (typically for 10 or 20 turns) is elected by other players. These players can also vote on laws that dictate what the ruling player should and should not do during his time in office.

This style of play leads to more in character debate and, particularly in KotR, story-telling.

I'd like to have a WotS game.

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

THis sounds fun count me in. However I am not the smartest player it is the fun part that counts

Sounds interesting. Might have a go at it.

I tried to runa WotS style PBeM, called My beloved Brittania, but failed. Can you suggest some mods or minimods to improve the game?

I think Roma Surrectum is best for stuff like this, though I suppose SPQR would do just as well.

I will try to install SPQR 6.4. I think we need a sub-forum or something for this game. We need 4 or 5 threads that can be easily lost by the forums activity.
    Last edited by Caius Flaminius; March 23, 2008 at 04:05 PM.