Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Definitive List of Released Mods - TWC Wiki

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Definitive List of Released Mods - TWC Wiki

Due to increasingly less time in real life, I will no longer be maintaining the TWC Wiki tables.

I hope this resource is used and kept up, as it is by far the best listing on the Net for TW mods.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Can someone make an update on Battles of Asia mod ? The mod is now modfoldered.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

I've updated the entry for Battles of Asia. Have also added a new section and table for "Minor" modifications, which is described on the page. I'll be trying to maintain this in the absence of MasterOfNone, since I feel it could be a useful resource once it becomes fully realized. If you have any submissions, please submit them here and they will be promptly added. I've also been adding pages for the mods that don't have pages with a short description, team/credits, and links to download/release thread.

Will resolve to add 5 new modifications every other day at least, until all mods of a released form here and on the .Org are archived.

Mods Added Today to tables:

Casus Belli
    Res Bellicae
    Ancient Empires
    Mundus Magnus v2
    Pyrrhic Victory Total War

Mod pages added:

Res Bellicae
    Mundus Magnus v2
    Pyrrhic Victory Total War

Mod pages edited:

Casus Belli

I encourage all mod teams to be good about organizing their release threads and mod information, I really had to dig for some of the information in order to flesh out the mod entry and page.

Cheers,
    Augustus

Thanks for the PM.

It'd be great if you could maintain it. You only need to have the CB be aware of - and approve - such a role (which I am sure they will).

The tables were created by Makanyane, with a little input from me; I merely came along later and added/edited a few bits such as the key, mod folder names etc.

The numbers you refered to are indeed a timeline. It is mak's idea and it enables the mods to be sorted chronologically. I'm sure you'll work out the weighting system as you look at the numbers - though I believe there are a small few that still have the wrong numbers so best to do a thorough check.

It's not hard to update - it is hard getting mods to submit changes

One thing that needs doing is the paranthesis after the mod name to reflect any multi-platform or official alternative platform versions. For example, Chiv. TW has 1 build that works for both bi and rtw. fatw, on the other hand, is for BI but has an official RTW alternative (designated by the asterisk). I had though about adding creators/teams as well as filesize but the table width is at about maximum now...though tooltip text can be added when mousing over the modfolder. I'm sure it can be improved more. Anyway, it's all yours now

These tables are indeed imho the best listing of released mods out there - they have certainly proven invaluable to me. Personally I only use modfoldered mods and it's great to see them all at a glance when I go to that table, or be able to search out a certain time period etc.

Thanks for updating & I'll let you know of any changes!

Patrician Citizen

Okay thanks, I'll look into the possibilities for expanding the things the table addresses.

Just ran a couple tests with the style var sorting method and it seems to work as expected. I'll be using these variables to determined timeline of mods. If anyone has questions or suggestions to make additions to these variables or the things the table covers, they're appreciated.

Sorting Variables for Released Mods

5 = Pre-History to 5000 B.C.
    10 = 4999 B.C. to 1000 B.C.
    15 = 999 B.C. to 500 B.C.
    20 = 499 B.C. to 1 B.C.
    25 = 1 A.D. to 250 A.D.
    30 = 251 A.D. to 500 A.D.
    35 = 501 A.D. to 750 A.D.
    40 = 751 A.D. to 1000 A.D.
    45 = 1001 A.D. to 1250 A.D.
    50 = 1250 A.D. to 1500 A.D.
    55 = 1500 A.D. to 1600 A.D.
    60 = 1600 A.D. to 1700 A.D.
    65 = 1700 A.D. to 1800 A.D.
    70 = 1800 A.D. to 1900 A.D.
    75 = 1900 A.D. to Present
    80 = Present to Future
    85 = Fantasy - Trademark Series
    90 = Fantasy - Mythological/Traditional
    95 = Fantasy - Sci-Fi/Apocalyptic
    100 = Other

Cheers,
    Augustus

Thanks Augustus.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Sounds good, though I'd put the myth/trad category before the trademark one as it has a closer link to real history...I assume by trademark you mean fantasy mods based on novels, movies, games etc (Lord of the Rings,
    Warhammer, etc.)...

I suppose there might be some Sci-Fi mods out there but I doubt any will ever be done - modding for that genre is very unrealistic. But good to know where to put it. I guess EoD is apocalyptic???

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I guess EoD is apocalyptic???
    Of the categories, it could be mythological as it's based on myth/prophesy, but I'll not quibble if it's categorised as APOCALYPTIC!!!..

Kudos for taking this on 'Al'...

Well, EoD's description of Dark Age was a bit misleading

Another thing - AL - you'll have to be careful in what you accept and list. Clearly the table would be very long if every minor submod and "tweak" mod were included. Mods of substance should be the ones promoted.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Sounds good, though I'd put the myth/trad category before the trademark one as it has a closer link to real history...I assume by trademark you mean fantasy mods based on novels, movies, games etc (Lord of the Rings,
    Warhammer, etc.)...

I suppose there might be some Sci-Fi mods out there but I doubt any will ever be done - modding for that genre is very unrealistic. But good to know where to put it. I guess EoD is apocalyptic???
    Yeah, that is what I meant about trademark, figured it'd be good to differentiate fanfic type mods from purely creative mods. As for Sci-Fi, there's already planned a Zombies-esque mod for E:TW, which to me qualifies as apocalyptic/sci-fi since it isn't in the realm of shield and sword fantasy that traditional fantasy occupies. As well, with the E:TW gun advancements(who knows, we could even see machine gun support if CA was smart), there will be a lot more ability in a year or two to conceive Warhammer 40K or Battlestar Galactica type themes, because really if you have a good modeler it's almost easier to make a sci-fi world than a historical one, because the sci-fi world needs to be extremely well described for people to get into it, the history doesn't and often isn't, so it's harder to make unit rosters.

Just another note on the dates I chose to apply(haven't re-classified all the listed mods yet, set them all to 00 and will do so today though). Reason I made it 100 years as it got closer to recent, and not before the medieval timeframe, is because I think in the scope of things, more information becomes available the closer to modern history we get, and more "small conflict" mods will arise. A WW2 mod would only last 5 years at most, etc. whereas mods of antiquity will generally be based on larger scopes since it's harder to provide excruciating detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Of the categories, it could be mythological as it's based on myth/prophesy, but I'll not quibble if it's categorised as APOCALYPTIC!!!..

Kudos for taking this on 'Al'...
    I suppose it could be either really, the classification isn't really what matters, but for the record I'd consider it Sci-Fi/Apocalyptic purely because it includes non-human races that were born of that genre(whereas dwarves, elves, et all were born of traditional fantasy, werewolves are usually associated with machine guns, at least in Hollywood). Also would depend I think on the tone of the mod, it's a darker mod so also can qualify under that respect.

Well, EoD's description of Dark Age was a bit misleading

Another thing - AL - you'll have to be careful in what you accept and list. Clearly the table would be very long if every minor submod and "tweak" mod were included. Mods of substance should be the ones promoted.
    Indeed. I'm probably going to move the Minor Mods table down below the tables for all of the three mods Major. So it would be:

E:TW + Expansion Major

M2:TW + Kingdoms Major

R:TW + BI + Alex Major

Minor Mods

I think there's merit to including even the smallest mods. I think it's important to separate them from the more prolific and completed mods, but the Released Mods area among other areas (found the Mundus Magna thread in the Mod Workshop Mapping area ), and the Download section, are extremely hectic. Having all of the minor mods in a centralized location and sortable, would make them more publicly available. As instanced by a recent thread in M2TW Proposals where I tried to help a guy combine some small mods, not everyone is looking for the big gunners. So the goal will be to disambiguate the two, but make sure all mods of release status are at least chronicled, because it isn't that hard to do, and if it means one person finds their dream mod in the vast expanses of the Minor section, than its well worth the effort .

EDIT: Oh, and one last note, the criteria I listed on the page for what makes a minor mod is very loose, I'll probably end up moving some very extensive minor mods up if I think they stand to be a gem in the rough, per se, and can hold their weight with the Major neighbors, even if they don't meet the listed req's. Additionally, might prune some mods that are of a bugged or incomplete release later once it starts getting crowded, this is partly why there's the "Stable" column, also so I can easily sort for bugged mods to parse out if it needs cleaning.

Cheers,
    Augustus
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; August 22, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

Could you make some changes to Res Gestae Total War? It is modfoldered now(completely) and its sub-forum is called RG. And it has its own campaign map now going from Britain to India(a good part of India included) so the European tag would not do for it imo. And the era should be Roman Republic to Empire. Thanks!

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    Could you make some changes to Res Gestae Total War? It is modfoldered now(completely) and its sub-forum is called RG. And it has its own campaign map now going from Britain to India(a good part of India included) so the European tag would not do for it imo. And the era should be Roman Republic to Empire. Thanks!
    Made the changes you asked for. Classified it as "European Extended". Really the part after Yes is just courtesy text for focus, it can't truly help a user decide on a mod, besides ones that say America or Asia or a fantasy name, that area isn't going to raise any eyebrows. "European" is just used for a mod that focuses 75%+ on the regions of Europe I'd say.

Cheers,
    Augustus

Well, imo the extent of the map is important. Though I realize it`s hard to explain it in a word or two. The fact that res gestae goes that much to the east means among other things that it has a playable indian faction(Maurya). It also means it is not focused only on the Mediterana area which rtw vanilla was. Of course, it`s just my point, I have no intention to contradict you for the sake of it or to "win" the argument.
    I think the "extended" addition is a good one.

EDIT: Oh, and one last note, the criteria I listed on the page for what makes a minor mod is very loose, I'll probably end up moving some very extensive minor mods up if I think they stand to be a gem in the rough, per se, and can hold their weight with the Major neighbors, even if they don't meet the listed req's. Additionally, might prune some mods that are of a bugged or incomplete release later once it starts getting crowded, this is partly why there's the "Stable" column, also so I can easily sort for bugged mods to parse out if it needs cleaning.
    The stability column is a good idea. I tried to introduce it for the main table but Makanyane said it was not fair that Fourth Age Total War should have yet another category to be the best in

One note though - you'll probably get some hot discussion on what is termed stabled or not. Quite frankly, few of even the major mods are truly stable.

I agree. You`ll see too many discussions on the stability issue. Who`s to decide the level of it and on what exact criteria? The "stable" chapter would be better left out. RTW itself had issues...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I suppose it could be either really, the classification isn't really what matters, but for the record I'd consider it Sci-Fi/Apocalyptic purely because it includes non-human races that were born of that genre(whereas dwarves, elves, et all were born of traditional fantasy, werewolves are usually associated with machine guns, at least in Hollywood). Also would depend I think on the tone of the mod, it's a darker mod so also can qualify under that respect.
    EODI would be apocalyptic (ahistorical or alternate history) ..

I'd not bother with Sci-fi, I only know one sci-fi mod (Metal Mayhem and that's dead (the star wars mod isn't big enough to warrant inclusion)..

EODII is more traditional, Vampyres and Werewolves were around long before Dwarfs and Elves, even in Hollywood..

Patrician Citizen

Well, imo the extent of the map is important. Though I realize it`s hard to explain it in a word or two. The fact that res gestae goes that much to the east means among other things that it has a playable indian faction(Maurya). It also means it is not focused only on the Mediterana area which rtw vanilla was. Of course, it`s just my point, I have no intention to contradict you for the sake of it or to "win" the argument.
    I think the "extended" addition is a good one.
    Oh I agree with you definitely, if anything I strongly encourage teams update the pages that are linked to by clicking the Mod name, to provide all of this information. There's just no easy way to say it in a few words as you acknowledged, so we have to settle for the continent that it focuses most on for the table display. Since it has all of Europe, ~20% of Africa, and ~35% of Asia, the all of europe would be the most.

The stability column is a good idea. I tried to introduce it for the main table but Makanyane said it was not fair that Fourth Age Total War should have yet another category to be the best in

One note though - you'll probably get some hot discussion on what is termed stabled or not. Quite frankly, few of even the major mods are truly stable.
    Well all of the mods that make it into the Major section are "stable", they have to be, a big mod that is broken is not a very useful big mod. Even the few that aren't wouldn't be worth adding the column for, since most of the big mods have PR divisions who will make you readily aware of any issues. The stability section is mainly for the minor mods, because I don't want to exclude a mod purely based on the fact it isn't stable, since a talented modder could still take the files and transform it into a stable mod, especially if it makes very nice changes just with bad implementation. More on the stability definition in response to florin's post.

I agree. You`ll see too many discussions on the stability issue. Who`s to decide the level of it and on what exact criteria? The "stable" chapter would be better left out. RTW itself had issues...
    I'm not applying stability nearly as rigorously as you are, I'm using it as a relative term, the usage is very broad and refers more to the propensity for a mod to resolve issues more than the existing issues. Here's the list of the various levels of stability from the page:

STABILITY: STABLE - This mod is stable, and there shouldn't be any large occurrences of errors
    STABILITY: SUPPORTED - This mod is known to have some issues, but it supported by the author/team, so issues might still be resolved.
    STABILITY: BUGGED - This mod is known to have issues, and is not supported by the author/team, so issues will persist unless the user has the requisite knowledge to fix them.
    STABILITY: WORK IN PROGRESS - This mod is not a mod in the finished sense, it is a release of work that can be used by others in their mod.
    What this means is, if a mod has bugs, but they are reported in a bug thread and there are team members actively working to fix them in a patch release or similar, the mod is stable. It doesn't matter if the bug is a Turn 1 CTD for certain factions, the point here is the mod team is actively providing bug fixes, so it is in essence a stable usage of the end users hard drive space. Or a mod that doesn't have such bug fix initiatives, but has been noted as containing very few bugs.

A supported mod is a mod like Blue Lotus(if it were a minor mod) was before there were changes being made to it. There were team members still patrolling and offering suggested bug fixes and making some edits, but there was no team initiative to provide the fixes. So the mod is supported and might eventually be stable, but less likelihood than a mod that has team initiative in that regard.

A bugged mod is a mod that was supplied by someone who no longer visits the forum, or who doesn't provide support for it, assuming there's some bugs(99.9% of the time if the user is one of the above there will be). Mods like Mundus Magnus v2 which in the thread have numerous bug reports of it not working, and the creator having left a year ago, are "Bugged", because while some people can get it to work, there's no support from someone dedicated to maintaining the mod to fix them. Note: In the actual section, MM is listed as stable, but this is based purely upon the existence of a reportedly stable v1.0, so even if 2.0 is bugged, 1.0 seems to work.

A WIP mod is like a skin pack or a script pack, not necessarily bugged, but not a mod in the sense that you have to do the installation yourself, and if you want to apply it with other mods or use it in your mod, you need to make the requisite changes.

Hope that helps explain my reasoning a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    EODI would be apocalyptic (ahistorical or alternate history) ..

I'd not bother with Sci-fi, I only know one sci-fi mod (Metal Mayhem and that's dead (the star wars mod isn't big enough to warrant inclusion)..

EODII is more traditional, Vampyres and Werewolves were around long before Dwarfs and Elves, even in Hollywood..
    Hey, you're the (benevolent) mod creator, I'll take your word for how to classify it . Heck I'll take most people's word on information if they seem like they aren't clinically insane, saves me the trouble of forum diving and DLing a ton of files(and it's not like I could stop them from editing it themselves anyways, even if I wanted to.. which I don't ).

Also, made some format changes. Added a statement at the top, and a Format Information section, and moved the M2TW mods above the RTW, since I think in practice it's best to have the most recently released at the top. Also moved the Minor Mods to the bottom, and created further sub-categories for Rome/Med2 within that section. Oh, and added lots of spacing, because I looooooves me some good spacing!

Cheers,
    Augustus
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; August 22, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

About the stability issue. I still think you`re scratching yourself without an itch. Those tags and info would require constant updating. It`s too much work(for you atm) imo.

It's looking good!

p.s. Halie, now come on. Dwarves and Elves have been around in the Germanic myths for no short a time than the idea of 'were' creatures - and as for vampires, well in their modern sense they are quite new!

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Augustus L, thanks for your PM.

As for the stability column i'm with florin, not only because of permanent updating, also because there is often

a. no evidense for a lot of mods for a stability or instability
    b. mod updates mean eventually instability or improved stability
    c the idea "they have to be stable" (to be listed under major mods) won't help a lot

Another example: ChivTW has been stable, proofed by players who indeed played the mod to the end, since version 0.50 to our last main release 0.95. Now, recently we have an explicite open beta out, which isn't stable.

Also, it makes no sense to give here in the wiki overview-list a hint for stability, imo., and is rather a stigmata to those minor mods, which, eventually have then no chance to grow or to get any interest and have then perhaps also no chance to become stable in future through playtesters who solve bugs or bring up certain bugs etc., because people would avoid it to play them.

Suggestion: remove the stability column.

P.S. For ChivTW - to put RTW 1.5 in clamps makes no sense, as it is playable with RTW 1.5 or with BI 1.6 exe, in the same manner. The clamps could mean, there is a limitation or something like that, or what is the meaning here?
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 23, 2008 at 03:48 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast