Thread: The map

Default The map

Hello everyone!

I must say this mod looks absolutely wonderful. It reminds me of Medieval XXL mod (don't remember the name correctly), which improved the original game by more than 100% virtually. And this seems even better.

I also recently checked one mod (HHR) and after long time I saw the big map (actually I don't like it much). Your mod definitely need the bigmap, so I support you at this one. But one thing I cannot stress enough - it's the geography.

In vanilla map and as I play LTC I very appreciate it, you actually have to take into account the geography of the world. To get into Italy, you must cross the Alpes and the passages are very narrow so you can easily get caught there by enemy. Same in Anatolia or in Iberian peninsula. This also gives you the chance to blockade some ways. It is actually possible to protect Italy so nobody comes through the mountains. And of course rivers, which were almost as important as mountains. I like this very much and it provides a lot of fun!

Back to bigmap though. I noticed, that this feature of M2TW was totally destroyed by the bigmap (I believe it was Spurius' one). But expanding the map means more space and thus possibility of better and more accurate geography of Europe! I really did not get why in that bigmap was Italy basically as open to everyone as Russian plains...

Now I believe you understand what I have in mind. I would really suggest not to destroy the geograpgy feature of Medieval 2, but promote it and make it as important as it actually was. This is my only, but very grave, concern about this mod as the rest seems absolutely wonderful.

I apologize, if you have this in mind already, but as this mod attracted me a lot, I would like to contribute with my suggestion regarding the map as it may really destroy the atmosphere you are struggling to achieve.

Cheers and I wish you success!
    Last edited by Resurrection; March 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: The map

Thank you my friend for your advises!!

Now for the map...For the little info i am allowed to talk about is that the map is "looking"simmilar to the vanilla with no americas but a lot of northern europe...Our concirn is to magnifice those regions top add unique features on them!!
    Be pationed my friend...more is about to release soon!!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

be sure that the mapwill have many strategical points!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

comm'on guys give us something to see and get really DoTS maniacs!!!!
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Oh good lord! I just tried DarthAges mod and I've seen their version of bigmap. It's so damn awful that I am giving up my faith that someone is actually capable of making bigmap AND keep geography in it. Those people simply could not see Alpes or otherwise I cannot understand those 4 stripes highway through them.

DotS looks like the best mod ever so far, but I am absolutely sure, that with bad map like those other big maps, all those nice features would get in vain.

To be honest, currently my best mod is LTC. It has vanilla map and it is really great. Previously I was devoted to Stainless Steel, but since messy version 4 I don't play it (and it has bigmap too now).

I really pray, that you guys won't make such terrible mistake as you stated before. Sorry for repeating myself, but as I stated in the first post, this cannot be stressed enough.

And it seems something is coming, I can't wait! :-)

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Yes a good map is vital!

Tangro's Avatar Libertus

Absolutely yes! Map is most important my friends.

Politics goes beyond cultural values of state. That is why political nonsense is more powerful then culture crux as it have the ability to manipulate mere essence of cultural existence. - Tangro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFeNgr1AbUo

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tangro View Post
    Absolutely yes! Map is most important my friends.
    Seconded!, thirded!!, fourthed!ed!ed!... YES I AGREE, thats my point
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

I have to agree here. I tried the BigMap for RTW, and frankly I was shocked. I removed that particular mod immediately. The map bore very little relation whatsoever to actual European geography, meaning that not only was it unrealistic, but it was gratuitously ugly to look at. It is much better, I think, to use the BDH method of using satellite data to make a 'magnified' map. That at least is quite accurate and quite nice to look at.

Tangro's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    It is much better, I think, to use the BDH method of using satellite data to make a 'magnified' map. That at least is quite accurate and quite nice to look at.
    Yes, map must fit into ones eye like golden necklace with sapphire brooch into womans breasts.
    Then, as ray of sun light splits off from antique picce of jewellery into man's tool, it hits your visual cortex with splash of fluctuating adrenalin driven from ones glandular structures.

And YOU are ready for Dominion of the Sword total war, my human friend.

Politics goes beyond cultural values of state. That is why political nonsense is more powerful then culture crux as it have the ability to manipulate mere essence of cultural existence. - Tangro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFeNgr1AbUo

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Will the northern frontier of the Balkan provinces be along the River Danube? My Byzantine Empire always looks "wrong" on vanilla without a Danube frontier lol

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Will the northern frontier of the Balkan provinces be along the River Danube? My Byzantine Empire always looks "wrong" on vanilla without a Danube frontier lol
    Yes it will.......
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Yes it will.......
    As much as I expected!, any mod that takes itself seriously needs that...
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν