Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The year in history" for BC?

Default "The year in history" for BC?

I dont try to steal EB ideas, but I'm sure most of the people playing BC dont know very much of middle eastern history, including me.
    It would be very fun and interesting to have something like that for BC

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: "The year in history" for BC?

Seconded.

But I suppose that's a **** of work. Don't forget EB has been in production for several years, they started before RTW was out!
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Indefinitely Banned
    Mid-sized town about an hour north of Chicago. Tis a'ight.

And they have 60 team members!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kubelwagen View Post
    And they have 60 team members!
    More importantly they have 60 developers. Though, of course, all 60 did not necessarily work on EB simultaneously. And even more importantly their core members were nothing but professionals and utterly devoted - almost religiously - to the EB 'cause'. As Ahiga once described, EB is more of the movement and a 'dream' than a mere mod.

We have had no more than 4-5 developers at any point in our development. 4-5 members who have full time school (me), jobs (AD, Strel, GrandViz) or rural farming (Ahiga). But damned good fellows they were and are, I'd say the best as far as M2TW is concerned - but then again I'm biased.

On Topic: I like the idea of the year in history, however, I'd need some real serious historians (beyond wiki and google!) who can find that sort of detailed info for every year in our historical setting. It's particularly hard to find info to fill the first 1-2 decades before 1190, since lot of the great historical events were done by living factions on the map.
    Last edited by Miraj; March 20, 2008 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    More importantly they have 60 developers. Though, of course, all 60 did not necessarily work on EB simultaneously. And even more importantly their core members were nothing but professionals and utterly devoted - almost religiously - to the EB 'cause'. As Ahiga once described, EB is more of the movement and a 'dream' than a mere mod.

We have had no more than 4-5 developers at any point in our development. 4-5 members who have full time school (me), jobs (AD, Strel, GrandViz) or rural farming (Ahiga). But damned good fellows they were and are, I'd say the best as far as M2TW is concerned - but then again I'm biased.

On Topic: I like the idea of the year in history, however, I'd need some real serious historians (beyond wiki and google!) who can find that sort of detailed info for every year in our historical setting. It's particularly hard to find info to fill the first 1-2 decades before 1190, since lot of the great historical events were done by living factions on the map.

ive been following this mod for a while, and could be the historian you're looking for

Indefinitely Banned

Hi Efe,

What would your credentials be? I guess more importantly, what area of history and which elements would your knowledge base be focused on?

By 'area' I mean both the timeline and geographic focus (ie medieval central asia). And by "element" I mean social, military, political, cultural or religious history.

Not meaning to break your balls or nothing, , just need to know where you stand.

Hi

Maybe I can also be of some help. I'm a student of history and I am currently writing my thesis on the Turks (from Seljuk, Rum and then Ottoman) So I read quite a lot about this.

Just tell me what 2 do mirage41

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

I've never played EB, how does this work? Is it like in BC when a window comes up and says an important man has just died e.g. Ibn Rusd?

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Templar View Post
    I've never played EB, how does this work? Is it like in BC when a window comes up and says an important man has just died e.g. Ibn Rusd?
    When we 'pass' new years eve (lol), A messege comes up with historic fact about the year itself (What happened back then, events.), IE 272 BC.

Blabla Pyrrhos besieged town in Italy blabla. And usually with who won at the Olympic games(Every 4th year).
    Last edited by Cyrus the Virus; March 20, 2008 at 04:44 AM.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    When we 'pass' new years eve (lol), A messege comes up with historic fact obut the year itself (What happened back then, events.), IE 272 BC.

Blabla Pyrrhos besieged town in Italy blabla. And usually with who won at the Olympic games(Every 4th year).
    Thats pretty cool. It would be cool in-game. I'd love to contribute if assigned a year.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Thats pretty cool. It would be cool in-game. I'd love to contribute if assigned a year.
    EB uses 4 turns per year so the messages only comes up on the 4th turn.
    In BC the year 'changes' faster. 2 turns per year if I'm not wrong.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    EB uses 4 turns per year so the messages only comes up on the 4th turn.
    In BC the year 'changes' faster. 2 turns per year if I'm not wrong.
    Is it a pretty long narration or just a snippet? I love history so i wouldnt mind lenghty prose.

if your worried about it coming up to often then do a 5 year summary with details of each year. I wouldnt mind sitting back and reading it

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Is it a pretty long narration or just a snippet? I love history so i wouldnt mind lenghty prose.
    It depends a bit whether something important happened. Sometimes the only thing they say is Greek lady marries Greco-Egyptian dude, Sometimes when they describe an important phase in ,for example, the Punic Wars it's longer. Usually it's a small page with 3-5 alineas.

BTW: Play EB, you won't regret it.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

A lot of work but I would love it!

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Hi Efe,

What would your credentials be? I guess more importantly, what area of history and which elements would your knowledge base be focused on?

By 'area' I mean both the timeline and geographic focus (ie medieval central asia). And by "element" I mean social, military, political, cultural or religious history.

Not meaning to break your balls or nothing, , just need to know where you stand.

my knowledge is focused on middle east/ mostly turkic places

hmm elements...i would know about each one ....military, political, cultural or religious

I think a 10 year 'status update' on each faction would be great.

Below is just an example and is not meant to be historically accurate.

By the year 1200:

"Ayyubids - At the end of the 9th decade of the 12th century the Ayyubids were on the verge of pushing the crusader states back into the seas from where they came. They controlled all of region X and the important cities of Y and Z."

"Kypchaks - By the start of the 13th century the Kypchak hordes had spread their empire yet further. They controlled the steppe from region X to region Z."

By the year 1210

"Ayyubids - During the first decade of the 13th century the Ayyubids fought the state of Y in the great battle of Z.."

"Kypchaks - The kypchaks continued on their path of destruction taking the cities of A and B..."

I dont think it would need to be a lot of work. A simple two or three sentence paragraph for each faction, for each decade. Rough campaign time is what 150 or 200 years? So you'd need 15 or 20 pages of text.

Plus, I think it's generally more interesting to read about the overall state of a faction rather than reading something like:

"In the year 1181, the great inventor 'Ali mohammed bin Mohammed ali' invented the cordless telephone but decided the world wasn't ready to start using the phone whilst taking a dump."

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; March 22, 2008 at 06:00 AM.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

We have had no more than 4-5 developers at any point in our development. 4-5 members who have full time school (me), jobs (AD, Strel, GrandViz) or rural farming (Ahiga)

Though I think it'd be great with some more in depth scripts like this a one.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Plus, I think it's generally more interesting to read about the overall state of a faction rather than reading something like:

"In the year 1181, the great inventor 'Ali mohammed bin Mohammed ali' invented the cordless telephone but decided the world wasn't ready to start using the phone whilst taking a dump."
    I agree, general info stuff would probably be more appealing.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    I think a 10 year 'status update' on each faction would be great.

Below is just an example and is not meant to be historically accurate.

By the year 1200:

"Ayyubids - At the end of the 9th decade of the 12th century the Ayyubids were on the verge of pushing the crusader states back into the seas from where they came. They controlled all of region X and the important cities of Y and Z."

"Kypchaks - By the start of the 13th century the Kypchak hordes had spread their empire yet further. They controlled the steppe from region X to region Z."

By the year 1210

"Ayyubids - During the first decade of the 13th century the Ayyubids fought the state of Y in the great battle of Z.."

"Kypchaks - The kypchaks continued on their path of destruction taking the cities of A and B..."

I dont think it would need to be a lot of work. A simple two or three sentence paragraph for each faction, for each decade. Rough campaign time is what 150 or 200 years? So you'd need 15 or 20 pages of text.
    That's a lot easier said than done. You cannot reference in-game "variables" in text segments. So you would literally need every combination of possibilities of text in order to implement this and every combination of script check to trigger it. There is also no real way to detect or "name" battles. So if there was a massive battle in Palestine between Ayyubids and KoJ there is no way for me to know this.

But the general idea of reporting the regions being controlled by any given faction is possible. But, since I can't reference variables in text pieaces, that would mean around 17+ separate historical scrolls hitting the player in 1200, 1210, 1220. Etc.

We already have something better that's been implemented and will be expanded in 2.0. That's basically delivering the player "capture messages" whenever key settlements are captures. I hope to expand this to include more general messages like if the RE recaptures antioch or if Georgia unifies all of transcaucasia under its rule etc etc.

I will hopefully tie this in directly with new scripted "victory conditions" that will replace the boring "capture X settlements" vanilla goals and replaces it with phase by phase goals that will be delivered to the player one by one.

Hehe... But seriously, its quite interesting to know about the intellectual and scientific developments of the day. Additionally they are the few historical facts that do not depend on in-game factors hence can be easily made into historic events.

This was after all the "Islamic Golden Age" as far as medieval science and philosophy is concerned and I hope to expand the educational value of those aspects of the mod even further. I nice idea I have for the future is to give Muslim factions ability to "patronise" the specific historical philosophers and scientists to help increase that faction's prestige and aware the leader with that character as a ancillary.
    Last edited by Miraj; March 23, 2008 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast