Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Brvtvs/Pvblicola (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Brvtvs/Pvblicola

He is right Marcus Lucretius.
    Carthage has not fought a battle against Rome in over a hundred years.
    The fact we are at war does not mean we are fighting.
    It is time to put this feud to rest.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco thinks a while, then answers:

The economical war I propose would not be meant to crush or diminish Carthage, but to incite them to sign peace on our terms, i.e. trade rights, knowledge of their territory, perhaps they'll even pay us for it.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"That is no doubt a good proposal; however, I would say aggressive negotiations should only start if the senator we sent has failed signing peace with equable terms. Speaking of which, whom we shall sent? I would propose Servius Labienus, the old and respected Roman politician - plus, he was the one who reasoned that if we want to be heard with seriousness, we need to sent one of our very best..."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

What? Send me out of Rome? Servius is Astounded by the consuls words. Several seconds pass and he stands to voice his thoughts.

'Consul.
    I am old and sea travel is not in my bones.
    Are you sure that you wish to send me.
    This would give me imperium, especially for one who has not been consul?'
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

"What does the Senate have to say? Do you support my judgement on appointing Labienus?"

Well, if you keep my proposal as backup, in the event that Servius fails, then I can only agree to your proposal.
    PLEBEIAN

"As I have said, Falco; should Labienus fails to bring this war to an end, the Senate will vote upon initiating your proposed 'aggressive' negotiations."

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

All of a sudden, a loud knock is heard at the door to the Senate Hall, even though the doors are wide open. After experiencing odd looks from most of the Senators, the short man quickly walks deeper into the Hall and he takes a seat. Realizing he must stand up if he wants to make announcements, the man stands up right after he sits down. The nervous man then explains who he is and what he's doing.

"H-hello, esteemed noblemen and politicians. I am Gaius Valerius Corvinus, brother to Proconsul Marcus Valerius Corvinus. I will be speaking for him while he is handling the affairs in Sicily."

Gaius then sits down and lets the Senator who was speaking before him continue. After the other Senator says a few words, Gaius immediately stands back up and speaks yet again:

"Oh! I almost forgot, I have another announcement. Sorry for the interruption."

Gaius looks down at the scroll he recently opened up, and he reads from it.

Marcus Valerius Corvinus, Proconsul of Sicily and former Tribune of the Plebeians, announces his appointments for Military Tribune:

1. Publius Valerius Corvinus
    2. Servius Labienus the younger
    3. Marcus Junius Brutus Caepionis

Proconsul Marcus Valerius Corvinus also proclaims his appointment for Quaestor:

1. Marcus Lucretius Falco
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; March 17, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

ooc: I got mixed up; I fixed it.
    Praetorio Italiae

As for me, I accept this position. In fact, as most of my colleagues are on their way to the ships now, I shall go too.

Falco grabs his notes and prepares to leave
    PLEBEIAN

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

"Greetings senators" said the proud Pvblicola,

"Me and my compatriat Brvtvs may not have seen eye to eye this campaign, but we cannot let this hamper our government; "may we wage war against all the peoples of the earth rather than fight a civil war".

"We should build upon the agricultural reforms and continue to spread our wealth amongst all of Rome from the Ager Pvblicvs and Ager Colonia, but we should as my right and honourable colleague has said build a new network of roads and invest in our trading centres if we are to harness the potential of our lands.; but I wish not any increase of our land forces, but to instead move our current batch of fine soldiers to protect and patrol our borders, and maintain the status quo.

"I would finally like to agree with the senators novel suggestion that we begin to specialize our military infastructure to ensure that we can quickly raise an army to vanquish our foes, should they be fools. This is my dream, a military that can be mobilised to full potential qucikly, fight, and then return to loving famillies and heal from their wounds.

"For men, we must prepare for the wars of tomorrow today, but please, fight them tomorrow."

He sat, satisfied at his opening speech to the house.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Marcus stands up to speaks for the senate: Brothers, Romans this war with Carthage is a sad chapter in our honurable history.
    A war made up by a trade conflict ages ago, its time for us to make a peace treatment.

Marcus stopped and looked at the senators.
    We should send Servius Labienus accompanyd by Tribune Lucius Aurelius Lepidus (as he will speek for the Plebes) to Africa to negotiate.

Still we are going to need a fleet to withstand pirate raders and other treats we may meet upon the seas.

Also the military are inded needing a reformation but it most inportante that it will be done slowly as we dont seek to risk the security of our nation.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Gaius slowly rises from his bench to explain his views on the current situation. He is hesitant to speak, since he is afraid that he may sound foolish.

"Senators, I think a bigger fleet is necessary. The coastlines of Sicilia must be protected from pirates and Carthaginian ships. Sicily is, as you all know, richly fertile and has enough grain to sustain life even in the far off lands of the East. Wouldn't pirates try to steal grain, grain that is rightfully ours by conquest, from Sicily to make a profit?"

Gaius ceases to express his views when it comes to peace with Carthage. He knows his brother was looking for some excuse to invade Africa and heap glory and riches onto himself. Peace with that nation would definitely stop this from happening.
    Praetorio Italiae

but I wish not any increase of our land forces, but to instead move our current batch of fine soldiers to protect and patrol our borders, and maintain the status quo.
    "Co-Consul, I did not imply that our armed troops numbers should rise, though I should have made it clearer; what I am supporting is the gradual disbandment of the veteran now Polybian Cohorts and their replacement with the new type legionaries (that way we will not increase our expenditure of ground forces...)"

"Also, I am planning to present the Senate with a detailed index which will number our profits from each province, each individual trade, tax and farming output plus the specific cost each city pays Rome for the upkeep of the legions. Finally, I am planning on publishing a second tablet with each individual city's constructed facilities. Then we can debate on economic terms..."

king_of_sparta's Avatar Libertus

30 minutes earlier Marcus Fabianus Grattius had arrived and being listening to the senators speak "I think sending Labienus would be a great idea." Deep down he wanted the aggressive negotiations but being a new senator he needed to make friends.
    ME, YOUR MOM AND HITLER
    YATS Marcus Fabianus Grattius

Winter's Avatar Civitate

If Labenius does not wish to go, I will go to Carthage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"I have an even better idea; why don't you both go? A former Consul and one old and respected politician will surely get the message through to the Carthaginian Senate, will you not?"

that seems good

Winter's Avatar Civitate

If Labenius agrees to this I will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius stands as another young man enters the Senate hall. He is about 30, with a fine head of hair. Who is he? None other than Quintus' twice removed cousin, the grandson of Gaius Julius Caesar's father's brother (that's confusing) Sextus Julius Caesar.

This man will be representing me while I travel to Corsica and Sardinia for my Pro-Praetorship. Sextus is newly entered in the Senate, and though I have taught him the basics of what being in the Senate is like, he is still new and 'green', so I would appreciate it if you didn't apply too much pressure on him.

Quintus Marius stands to leave, then stops, and gestures at the Junior Consul:

I would just like to remind you to please announce your appointments for Princeps Senatus and Censor for this term.

Lastly, I will be holding a party to celebrate my wedding before I leave for Corsica and Sardinia. All Senators are invited regardless of party relations.

Quintus then walks out of the Curia to prepare the dinner party and his bags for his trip.