View Poll Results: What is your favourite form of the King of the Hill idea?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10k King of the Hill absolutely no other rules

3 21.43%
  • 10k King of the Hill best of 3 matches

1 7.14%
  • 10k King of the Hill king has to keep same faction

8 57.14%
  • 10k King of the Hill with rules for special units

1 7.14%
  • Other (pleaes state which)

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Idea - Is anyone interested?

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default A New Idea - Is anyone interested?

Hello Everyone,

I know lots of people here like to play tourneys and have fun online with other players. But it's been drawn to my attention (and I'm sure to lots of other people as well), that time zones are a big problem of tourneys. Therefore, I am going to propose something new, and anyone who wants to help in making it work can join. All help is welcome.

My idea is that we set up a sort of "King of the Hill" program here in TWC. So we start of with a nominated "King". Then anyone else can come onto the thread, and challenge the king, and then they can work out a time to play each other. If that person is in the wrong time zone, then we can have someone else vying for King, and so as each King is defeated, a new one comes onto the stage.

Just so that this doesn't go on forever, I would also include a time limit, say a month or something, and the person who has been King for the most times or the King who is left at the end (still got to decide on an option) wins the tournament. And then we can start it all over again, maybe each time with a different map and theme.

As with all new ideas, I can see some flaws in it. Say a guy was a really good player but he only managed to kick one King off the hill and so he doesn't win and stuff like that. But overall, I think it's a good idea to get started with.

What are your thoughts about this?

Default Re: A New Idea - Is anyone interested?

Would certainly be something new. But you would need a good amount of people that are willing to play. If we have that, it might be possible to do something like this.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

That's why I'm trying to put forward the idea that almost anyone in any timezone can join.

Decanus

thats a good idea, maybe some rules to stop super 1 faction, like you can only use them once and best of 3. So no one can stay at the top too long as they either will lose to a better player or run out of good factions...

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Yeah, cook up some rules, and I'm sure you'll see a good turnout.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Ladder system should be put in place, so whoever is at the top at the end of the week can challenge the King for title.

People on the ladder play eachother during the week to acquire points, the more wins you have the better your chance of finishing at the top.

Ladder System ( example) W=3points L= -1 point

Name W L
    Paul 5 0
    John 4 2
    Mark 2 0
    Matt 2 2

so from this exmaple Paul gets to challenge the King for the title.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

"U CAN NEVER PREDICT THE UNEXPECTED"

Sounds like a good idea. I like the ladder system too, as that way there's no confusion if multiple people respond to the thread before rounds are fought.
    "This space for rent." -AlexandertheMediocre

So you guys want this to be continuous with a ladder system. Cos I think ladder systems only work when things go on for a long time. If I just plan it to make it one month per "session" then a ladder won't do much good. But it's a good idea if you want a long term version of this.

As for rules, I will think about some of them, and come up with a few. For a start, lets look at faction rules. Does this sound ok?:
    1. A player can only choose from three factions each time he plays. His three factions must be one from each of these categories: Western Civilized, Barbarian, Eastern.
    2. Any factions with overpowered units e.g. elephants, chariots can only have two units maximum of those types of units.
    3. Players must alternate between his three choices of factions i.e. he cannot continue to use the same faction all the time.

Decanus

I personally believe a ladder system requires too many games from everyone for this sort of idea. I don't like the categories of factions rule tho, its too limiting with barbarians being generally weaker, and the 1 good barbarian faction can only get 2 chariots = pointless.

how about, Rules:
    Player can only use 1 faction once while holding the belt.

On the ele's and chariots front:
    1 ele max, 4 melee chariots, 2 Chariot archers max will limit them somewhat without taking away all of Britains from the fight.

Plus fundamentally it doesn't matter if they use overpowered factions with the one faction per phase of holding the belt as they will obviously end up being out classed when challengers get those factions.

You may also want a rule over arranging to challenge for the belt, and i guess could start it off with whoever wins a TWC tourney gets the belt to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post
    As for rules, I will think about some of them, and come up with a few. For a start, lets look at faction rules. Does this sound ok?:
    1. A player can only choose from three factions each time he plays. His three factions must be one from each of these categories: Western Civilized, Barbarian, Eastern.

Just a proposal: how about a player can only use a chariot faction once during the best 2 out of 3? (But then they can use any other faction as many times as they please)

By "chariot factions," I refer to the Britons, Egyptians, and Pontics.

EDIT: oops, I didn't mean to include the Seleucids in there.

2. Any factions with overpowered units e.g. elephants, chariots can only have two units maximum of those types of units.
    You'd have to define every "overpowered unit" to make this rule effective.
    3. Players must alternate between his three choices of factions i.e. he cannot continue to use the same faction all the time.
    (see my proposal for your #1 rule)

Again, this is your idea, and I think it's a fun idea. So, you decide.

Some other things to consider:
    - denarii level
    - map choice (perhaps the players can pick from a list of tourney-approved maps)
    - unit scale
    Quote Originally Posted by msTubbZ View Post
    You may also want a rule over arranging to challenge for the belt, and i guess could start it off with whoever wins a TWC tourney gets the belt to start with.
    The last person to win a 1 vs 1 TWC tourney was Hannibalbarc.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 17, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Decanus

if you want a cool map pack for it: http://www.mediafire.com/?7t90cvzm2sz thats a really good one made by Hemisphere Altharion:

So...
    - Download it
    - Extract files
    - Copy and paste custom_locations to C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data or C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\data, say yes to relpace
    -"OPTIONAL" Copy and paste all the picture files (TGA files) to C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\menu or C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\data\menu
    -Restart RTW

-F = Flat map
    -T = Alot of trees on the map
    -H = The map is very hilly
    -B = The Map has a bridge

You could say only the F maps are allowed

I want to challenge tubbbbbbbbbzzz
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post

did you read the whole challenge system? fool, i need the belt thingy first before i can be challenged...

king_of_sparta's Avatar Libertus

I like the idea but who starts as king
    ME, YOUR MOM AND HITLER
    YATS Marcus Fabianus Grattius

king_of_sparta's Avatar Libertus

what about if the king chooses the rules of the game like how much money is allowed
    ME, YOUR MOM AND HITLER
    YATS Marcus Fabianus Grattius

Just a proposal: how about a player can only use a chariot faction once during the best 2 out of 3? (But then they can use any other faction as many times as they please)
    I don't quite understand you there. So you think the rule should be that each player can only use one chariot faction every three games he plays? I'm not sure....

Some other things to consider:
    - denarii level
    - map choice (perhaps the players can pick from a list of tourney-approved maps)
    - unit scale
    Denarii level: 10k of course. Any more and some factions would be come way too powerful.
    Map choice: I think the players should be allowed to choose their own maps, as long as they both agree with the same one.
    Unit Scale: Large, because medium is a bit 'small' looking yet a lot of computers can't cope with huge, so just use large.

if you want a cool map pack for it: http://www.mediafire.com/?7t90cvzm2sz thats a really good one made by Hemisphere Altharion:
    It's a really good set of maps, and some of them look pretty interesting to me, but doesn't that mean that to use those maps, everyone who joins this thing has to download that to have access to all the maps?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post
    You have to fight me first cause I'm the king of the Hill, at least I think I am.
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

Hehe, but we need to get the constitution part of it fixed before you guys can start to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post

I don't quite understand you there. So you think the rule should be that each player can only use one chariot faction every three games he plays? I'm not sure....

Well, it's your idea to have each challenge consist of a best 2 out of 3, right? So, in one of those matches, you would be permitted to use one of the chariot factions (Egypt/Briton/Pontus) once during the best 2 out of 3 series. Once you use any of those factions, then you cannot use anymore chariot factions during your challenge.

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

I am for this idea but I think that a 10k No Rules thing would been better. Much better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast