Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Domus of Lucius Aurelius Lepidus and Titus Aurelius Cotta

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Domus of Lucius Aurelius Lepidus and Titus Aurelius Cotta

Welcome to my humble home. All are welcome, either by appointment or by spontaneous visit!

(better pictures forthcoming!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Default Re: Domus of Lucius Aurelius Lepidus

A slave, apparently well taken care of, enters Lepidus' dome. 'A message from my master, Manius Octavius'. After delivering a scroll, the slave leaves. The scroll contained the following:

'GREETINGS, NOBLE LEPIDUS. YOU SHOULD BE INFORMED THAT TOMMOROW, AT SOME TIME OF DAY, I, MANIUS OCTAVIUS WILL VISIT YOU AT YOUR HOME TO DISCUSS SOME IMPORTANT ISSUES CONCERNING THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS AND THE SITUATION IN THE REPUBLIC AS A WHOLE.
    BE WELL, OCTAVIUS.'

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

A messenger of the Consul arrives at Lepidus's home; he carries with him the sign "DIB", the mark that he is a slave of Decimus Iunius Brutus. Once he has saluted the senator, he gave him a scroll:

From Decimus Iunius Brutus to Lucius Aurelius Lepidus

My dear Lepidus, I have received your message but regretfully I cannot join you in your house immediately. I have urgent business with the City's Magistrates, since as it seems I will be seated as Senior Consul this term. Will it be convenient to you to come by tomorrow, with the dawn of my second term? I await your reply.

Vale
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

If you are not busy.
    Might you join me for a drink
    LAB
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

A slave comes in Lepidus's house. Once he has spotted the Senator, he salutes him and says:

"My Master, the Consul, sends me to ask your whereabouts. He understands that you were to have a meeting today regarding the Republic, correct? If that is so, Consul Brutus has instructed me to tell you that he awaits your pleasure whenever you are able..."

A young man wearing a black morning toga appears outside the house of Aurelius Lepidus. He signals a slave who is accompanying the mourner to knock the door and inform Senator Lepidus of his arrival. The slave understands the signal and approaches the door -- a slave of Lepidus answers the knock and opens the doors of Lepidus's Domus for the grieving son.

Marcus finds Lepidus resting in his courtyard; he nods to him as salutation and approaches the Senator...

"I understand that you wish to speak business. I await your pleasure..." said Marcus Brutus with a distinctive waving voice.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Ahh young Brutus, please enter." Lepidus says, rather nervously. He knows not what to make of this child. Brutus' family was always unknown to him.

"Now, dear Brutus, I did not mean for you to come so soon after your father's passing. When you were up to it, I meant my message to imply. That you are here now is a credit to your father's instruction."

Brutus stares sadly at Lepidus, causing the senator to stumble a bit.

"Well, yes, on to why you are here I suppose" he clears his throat. "Marcus, your father was a friend of mine when I began my senatorial career. I was a novus homo, and knew nothing of politics."

Lepidus continued

" It is to your great father that I owe my political career, in some ways. It is true that we have had some, unpleasantness, over the years, but truly we were friends."

"Now Marcus, as a courtesy to your father, I would like to take you under my wing when you enter the senate. As your father was a mentor to me, I will try to be one to you. I will help you avoid the mistakes I have made in the past, and you will learn to be as great a senator as your ancestors were. What do you say?
    Last edited by Winter; March 22, 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Brutus heard out the Senator with sadness written throughout his face; once Lepidus though commented on his mistimed appearance, Marcus said:

"You are right; it is been a little time after my father has left. However, life must continue and I know that my father would like me to be strong now -- it's for the good of the family;"

Marcus was almost shocked to hear the Senator's proposal. He knew that Lepidus and his father were old acquaintances but he always understood that Lepidus was not a friend to his father's politics. However, Marcus thought, he was not his father -- not when it came to politics. Also, he knew that in order to avenge those that were going to condemn his father, he needed to be strong; politically strong. He ought to be as influential politician as he could and he knew that Lepidus's connections would help him reach his potential...

"I cannot honourably refuse; it is very generous of you, Lucius." said Marcus. "I accept your offer" Brutus said with a calm voice, hiding completely his resentment for those that defied his father as Lepidus did; Marcus bet that he was happy to get rid of a powerful politician as was his father... "Unpleasantness, he says!", thought Marcus, while he was smiling widely to Lepidus.

"Is there anything else you wish to discuss, Lucius? I was preparing my speech for the Funeral Oration in honour of my father later this day..."

OOC:

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Why, excellent, my friend! Should you have any concerns about senate life, please feel free to come to me."

"As to the business of your fathers I wanted to talk to you about. This is about the investigation your father was involved in before his demise."

Lepidus flicks a sympathetic look towards Marcus, totally unaware of the hatred flitting just behind the boy's eyes.

"Perhaps we should wait before we discuss this, do you not think? Until you have grieved sufficiently?"

Marcus Brutus was a bit agitated to hear again of this 'investigation'; he understood that his father had made a wise choice that would be helpful to the Republic. Now, the Carthaginians were bullying Rome for money instead of peace and his father's enemies were still persisting, after death, to this idiotic investigation.

"You do understand, Lucius, that this is a matter most distressing for me; my father took his life because of this investigation imposed to him by his adversaries. I'll hear you right now, if you think that it has some importance discussing about this investigation now that he is gone. What of it, then?"

Brutus was showing over sentimental - for a reason. He knew that his enemies would not let go of him, even if it was his fathers actions. That is another reason it was prudent to accept Lepidus's proposal until he wouldn't need the old man any more...

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"See, Brutus, you are clearly still emotional on this matter. But if you insist, I will discuss with you what I meant to. I must ask you to reserve passion or judgment until after I have finished."

Brutus nods quickly.

"Thank you. I know that this would have been a stumbling block to us working together, my friend, and I want to get this out now."

"First off, let me tell you why this investigation got started. Your father decided, out of good intentions and a will to protect the Republic, to build a massive fleet. Unfortunately, he was acting in violation of the law, and had used a considerable amount of public funds without authorization. As tribune of the plebeians, it was my duty to expose this, and tell the senate of misuse of public treasure. Now I wanted to leave it at not allowing your father to command an expedition to Africa, but somehow, the Censor Publicola got involved."

Brutus shifted in his seat imperceptibly at the name of another enemy.

"It was then that your father no doubt felt a lot of pressure from the investigation. However, Brutus would never go down without fighting for himself first. It is my opinion that your father died to protect you and your family from the shame involved in a criminal conviction. He was a noble man until the end."

Lepidus paused, clearly worried about something.

"I hope you now understand better what happened before your father's death."

-------------------------------------------------------

Lepidus is only 49, he's not that old

"I understand your stance on the matter, Tribune, and I want to assure you that I have no ill intentions whatsoever to either you or Censor Publicola. What is done, it's done -- let us get over it as quickly as we can..." Brutus said in sadness, revealing the pain he was in for the decision of his father....

"I am sure that my father would not act this way if he wasn't assured that it was the best possible action for the family..." he said.

While Brutus was composed all this time, his hatred towards the Censor and the Tribune for denouncing his father grew inside him. He released a sigh of sadness pretending to be still a side effect of his grief. He stood up and farewelled Lepidus, his mentor as would be from now on, and asked for his forgiveness -- he wasn't well, Brutus said, perhaps they could finish their conversation some other time.

Once out of the house though, Brutus could not hold his grief and hatred any more, literally dragging his body away from his mentor's villa. Once in his house though, he felt slightly better; he went to see his father's imago, the wax facelet of his dead father and he renewed his oath of hatred towards his father's enemies....

-------

OOC: I wasn't aware Lepidus was 49... Perhaps you should edit in your family in the first post? BTW, how do you like the vendeta I am building?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus sat as he had before his new charge had arrived, and wondered if there was more to the boy than met the eye...

"Certainly not," thought Lepidus "Although I do find it a bit odd that he mentioned harboring no ill will unprovoked, oh well, I shan't concern myself with it."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh I see it ending in Phillipics or worse. I'll do the family later, but remember that I don't have a family of note to have imagines of.

OOC: Yes, I thought it was about time to see something different in the Senate than simple denouncing etc... Outright hostility! If we play this right, it can even evolve into a civil war! Can you imagine the sheer coolness of that?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: You can be Catiline and I'll be Cicero

OOC: We shall see -- I will be very nasty on this one, be aware!

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

ooc: publicola is junior consul an not censor.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus arrived home to much fanfare. The people of Rome had heard of his coming, and were joyous that their defender of old had finally returned. The Plebs, when they saw him pass, stopped what they were doing to cheer him on. Finally, Lepidus and his entourage arrived at his home.

ooc: You can now contact Lepidus at his Domus, as I am officially back in Rome!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

A slave arrives at Senator Aurelius' domus:
    My friend Lucius,
    It is pleasing to see that you have returned. Do you have time to receive at your domus so we can discuss things regarding happenings in the Curia, and the stance of the Populares?
    Hoping to hear from you soon

Quintus Marius

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast