Thread: God bless the east

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

Dudes, I came up with this great article and I translated it for you. Check it out:

GOD BLESS THE EAST:

'' The inventors of the islamic world; the perfect inventions of the west were
    already known by the Leonardo's of the east, for hundreds of years''

The eastern Leonardo's: Center of silk, pearl and civilization, the east has always been mentioned in the tales that started with '' Once upon a time.'' The land of the rose gardens, the Middle East brought civilization to the west for a thousand years.

Science, throughout history, has been brought from Mesopotamia and Egypt to Greece,Islam and Europe. Historians remember the era of Ad 400- 800 as the dark ages.Because of the education system of the west and Euro centered world view, a huge misconception occurred. Because, during the same era where west lived its darkesttimes, there was enlightement in the east!

The sun rises from the east: While the christian medieval world was passing througha dark era, a new religion rose in the east and the followers of this religion werebeginning to take over the heritage of science. Just 2 centuries after the prophet's death, in the university of Beyt ul Hikme of Baghdad, lots of scientific scriptures were being translated into Arabic. During the times of the Caliph Memun, the worlds ''first funded'' observatory was founded in Baghdad. Just 30 years after, the world's first modern hospitals were serving Patients! At 11 th and 12th centuries, the Islamic world, with its scientists, thinkers and rich libraries, became the pearl of human civilization. Considered to be the founder of the discipline of science history, George Sarton, in
    his famous book, remembers the human history between 16th and 8th century with these names: Cabir Bin Hayvan, Harizmi, Razi, Mesudi, Ebu'l Vefa, Biruni and Omer Hayyam. Europe waited until the 12th century to decide to learn from this civilization. 12 th century was an era where European scientists, thinkers etc. began showing an
    organized effort, especially in Spain and Sicily, to translate Arabic scriptures to Latin. Until the 17th century, Aristoteles, Sokrates and Platon writings whose greek originals were nowhere to be found, were translated from arabic. These works, named '' the 12th century Renaissance'', set the founding stones of the ''Modern western
    civilization.'' The ''Kulliyat'' which was written by Ibn- i Rusd- later named as Averroes by Europeans- was the standing point of the philisophy of Aristo, which was also the official ideology of Vatican. The teachings of Averroes, -who was born in Cordoba at 1126- was the source of European Philosophers for 700 years. Tommaso of Aquino, Bacon , Spinoza and Leibniz, are among the scientists that mention Averroes in their
    works.

The cradle of Civilization: Baghdad

The heaven of education, peace and beauty Baghdad! Its paved stone roads washedby the rose water, its gardens filled with flowers from all around the knownworld, its avenues accompanied by the sounds of the birds and flutes...
    Aristoteles, Hipocrates, Gelenos, Eukleides, Arkhimedes, Ptolemaios and Plotinus;all of their works were being translated to Arabic in Baghdad. The poets,musicians, mathematicians, philopshers and historians were advancing even further on these works of civilizations with the help of India and China.
    This era was the golden years of The East, lots of scientists were being invited to Baghdad which became the heart of science. One of those scientists was Ebu Abdullah Ibn Musa El- Harizmi . Born in Uzbekstan- Khwarzm, Harizmi spent his life working on Math, Astronomy and Geography and turned Algebra into a separate science branch.His most imporant work is '' Hisabu'l Cebr ve' l Mukabele''.Translated to Latin in later years, this book has a very special place in math science history. With this book ,westerners began recognizing Algebra as an independant math discipline and more over, it led to the acceptance of the Arabic conceptual math system by the west. Harizmi, while writing his book, mentioned the unknown term as ''sey''(meaning thing in arabic and turkish.), a and b coefficients as ''dirhem'' and coefficient products as ''kaab''. The ''sey''word, which was later translated to ''xay'' by the spanish, evolved into the famous math term ''x''.
    Harizmi is also the founder of the second order equations (with one unknown) and the first mathematician to explain it geometrically. In other words, he's the inventor of the Mathemathical terminology of today. Nowadays, it is accepted that Harizmi's books are the oldest scriptures about Algebra throughout history. Respected by both west and the east, Harizmi was among the few people who shaped the science history. Students from all around Europe studied his documents as main courses until the 18th century.

The father of Cybernetics, Cezeri of Amid (South eastern Turkey)

Automatic doors; devices that pull water out of wells; iron, steel, copper and their densities; pneumatic tools; automatic control systems.. All these was invented by the turkish scientist Cezeri almost 9 centuries ago!
    Named ''Al Jazari'' by the western world, Bedi uz Zaman Ebu'l Izz Ismail el Razzaz el Cezeri, was born in Amid around 1136. Cezeri, is considered to be the founder of the cybernetics science branch. (which is about devices that can work without human contact) In his famous book '' Kitab ul Hiyal'', he mentions his inventions of water hours, automatic control disciplines, sprinklers, coded keys and robots and how to build them. In more basic words, cybernetics is a science branch which is completely about balance and adjustment. This discipline, evolving with time, led to the foundation of computer systems! About the start of Cybernetics and automatic systems, French, English and Germans give the names of Descartes, Pascal, Leibniz and Bacon and they forget the fact that Cezeri was the first scientist who presented ''cybernetics'' to the science world. ( about 600 years before)
    Moreover, the cybernetic scientists and mechs of today claim that J. Watt was the one who founded the regulator in 1780. The inventor of this machine can easily be discovered in the 171. page of Kitab El Hiyal! It was again Cezeri!

Only 12 copies of his famous book remain. The oldest copy is in III. Ahmed library of Topkapi Palace; another book which is from the same century is in the Suleymaniye Library. Kitab el Hiyal was first translated to German by E. Wiedemann and F. Hauser; the english version came up thanks to Donald R. Hill at 1974.
    We come across with the most of the drawings of Cezeri in the documents of Leonardo Da Vinci, who was born 3 centuries after Cezeri's death.

The Zero at the left
    In a world where the decimals had never been invented, there would be chaos in every mathematical process from simple shopping to space technology. Can you imagine a banking system with Roman numbers! Comma, although seemingly unimportant in paper, is essential in mathematics. The inventor of this term is the turkish scientist Cemsid bin Mesud bin Mahmud et Tabib el Kasi, who lived in 14th and 15th centuries.
    For a long time, the science world thought that Simon Stefan was ''the man behind''. In 1948, the german science historian Pouluckey proved that the founder of the decimals was Cemsid indeed. 160 years before Simon Stefan, Cemsid was able to do add, substract, multiply and divide decimals ( 2 centuries before Europe met this system.) Moreover, Cemsid was able to come up with 9th decimal of the Pi! (3,141592653)
    Similar to the Simon Stefan case, the honor of discovering finding roots was given to Newton. It was also proven that Cemsid discovered it before; english mathematician Roy Newman, in his book of '' The world of Mathematics'', stated that Cemsid discovered it 300 years before Newton and also added that he was the first mathematician to solve binomial equations.
    However, the latest investigations refute the claims of Roy Newman, the first mathematician to solve binomial equations was not Cemsid; it was Omar Hayyam, who lived 300 years before Cemsid's and 600 years before Newton's time.
    It is possible to come across the traces of the leonardo's of the east everywhere; even in Leonardo Da Vinci's letters. Leonardo da Vinci, in his letter about fluids, tells that he made use of the studies of an eastern scientist whom he could not remember his name; and that person is the man who opened the biggest eastern observatory in Istanbul: Takiyuddin.

Coming up: IBN I SINA -AVICENNA- The master of medicine

MareNostrum's Avatar Wanted: Dead or Alive
    The Netherlands. For those white trailer trash who dont know: Its a small country in Europe.

thanks for the translation Mehmed II...
    it's a great article...followed by a great sig...this section of the forum is truly blessed

I am really looking forward to your next post..

my fav. quote..

Europe waited until the 12th century to decide to learn from this civilization. 12 th century was an era where European scientists, thinkers etc. began showing an
    organized effort, especially in Spain and Sicily, to translate Arabic scriptures to Latin. Until the 17th century, Aristoteles, Sokrates and Platon writings whose greek originals were nowhere to be found, were translated from arabic. These works, named '' the 12th century Renaissance'', set the founding stones of the ''Modern western
    civilization.

Proud Patron of: Antea, Archer, Banzai Kamikaze, Dromikaites, Ldvs
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

Maybe Asia's problem is that the west took so many ideas and claimed that we invented them. If all of this info was general knowledge maybe more people would have respect for eastern civilisation.
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Many people don’t realize the history of and contributions made by Islamic society down through the centuries. If more people were aware of these facts then we all might be little more understanding and appreciative of one another!

Good post!

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

The master of Medicine Avicenna:

There was no medicine, Hippocrates made it; it was beyond hope, Galenos resurrected it; it was rabble, Rhazes organized it; it was not finished, Avicenna perfected it
    Who was the eastern genius that was most respected in the east and mentioned countless times in science history? This great scientist, known as Ibn-I Sina, is Hussein Ibn Abdullah ibn Ali ibn Sina. Arabs remembered him as the ‘’third teacher’’ (the first one was Aristoteles and the second one was El Farabi) and Latins remembered him with the name ‘’Avicenna’’.
    Ibn-I Sina was born at the village of Afshana near Buhara at the year of 980. After his family immigrated to Buhara, his father left him to the guardianship of the scientists of the city. This was the first time he met with the ways of science. By the age of ten, he memorized the Quran; by the age of 16, he earned the title of ‘’doctor’’. His teachers were appalled; as they discovered that he read the all of the medicine books without any help.
    His star shining at the science branch of Medicine at such a young age, Ibn-I Sina earned fame throughout the world and was quickly assigned as the special doctor of the Sultan of Buhara Nuh Ibn Mansur es Samanid. Eventually, Ibn-I Sina managed to enter the rich library of the city palace, bedecked by the books he had never witnessed before. When he was 18, he was at the level of writing the first book of Modern Medicine.
    Ibn-I Sina, in his masterpiece El Kanun fi`t Tib (The law of medicine) :
    For the science of Medicine isn’t hard, it is not surprising that, in a short amount of time, people came here to listen to me and learned from me. I began observing patients and discovered countless ways of treatments and therapies. I was 16 at the time and the science was growing within me; now it can grow no more and I can discover nothing else

This genius of the east, began writing about various branches of science. Philosophy, Logic, Morals, Medicine, Mathematics, Astrology, Music, Linguistics and Law, was only a couple of those branches. He was debating with the greatest minds of the time about those topics. For hundreds of centuries, not only in the east, but in the west, he was literally worshipped as the god of medicine.

Among the eastern scientists whose works were translated, he was the luckiest. His documents were translated to Latin, Hebrew, Persian, Turkish, Russian, Armenian and about every other western language. There isn’t a single library in the world today which does not contain a book of him; in the libraries of Istanbul, there are about 1,500 Ibn I Sina scriptures written in different centuries. El Kanun fi’t Tib, is without a doubt, Ibn I Sina’s greatest work. The quality of this book, surpassed every other medical document which was written before, by far. The teachings of Ibn-I Sina was the first educational source in every Renaissance era universities. As the cult name of Medicine science Sir William Osler says, this book became the book of every era of medicine.
    If El Kanun fi’t Tib is observed with detail, it is seen that Ibn I sina discovered quite a lot of things that are still acknowledged in modern medicine. Despite the fact that miscroscobes didn’t exist at his time, he claimed that all sicknesses were caused by little creatures called ‘’microbes’’. This magnificient book was taught for 700 years throughout Europe.
    Nowadays, when the students of the medicine school of the university of Paris, enter big conference room near the St. Germain precinct, they find themselves with the portraits of only two people: Ibn-I Sina (Avicenna) and Er Razi (Rhazes.)

Next: A list of major eastern inventions and scientists