Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to defeat Pyrrhos in 3 steps

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: How to defeat Pyrrhos in 3 steps

With guard set to off - the roman infantry flow around the pike units and in between them and thats when the winning begins.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Hiya all. First post here.
    Downloaded this mod today, looks really nice.
    I can't seem to beat Pyrrhos though, and spent a lot of time trying to get this strategy done right.
    However, Pyrrhos' army just won't attack me! I'm on the hill, with my army deployed exactly like in the pictures, but Pyrrhos' army won't engage me except for slingers/archers, and the elephants which my velites quickly slaughtered.
    How can I get him to finally attack me?

Primicerius

On the battle map, just give him time. The AI will attack eventually.

If they really refuse to, turn on the battle time limit to safeguard against the AI being stupid and sitting there. At least that way Pyrrhus loses his skirmishers + elephants.

We need more posts in this subforum!

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

once won pyrrhos army fighting uphill, but that was end of that winning role against pyrrhos

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Wow, this actually worked i just tried it out. I never thought those skirmishers could so much damage, they wiped out all of the Elephants and all of the general unit including Pyrrhos. The battle was extremely long and I fought the phalanx units one by one.

here's a pic

Buy stuff online for free
    Points2Shop

Total Roach's Avatar Ducenarius

It does indeed work, 1st time out as Rome, positioned troops in long line at the highest point on the map I could find, only thing I guess I did different was put my slingers at the front of the centre of my battle line, they made short work of Pyrhos(sp?) as he came up the hill and died in a hail of stones before any other of his troops reached me. He attacked me at the end of the 1st turn too. Also managed to get spy into Tarrentum at the next turn when the IGCS sent up the next stack to attack me and managed to go around and assault it when the spy opened the gates at 40% chance.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Glad you guys liked the plan/tactics and were able to beat the green menace.

Roach that's a fantastic victory dude. They are all dead and your army is intact you've just won the Roman campaign.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Civis

this is my victory:

I gave a roman campaign a try and it's actually pretty fun.

Thanks

I kill Pyrrhos every time, but those MFers still come at me, and I always loose.

Reason being why I never play XGM anymore.
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

hi, first post and very awesome mod. ive tried a few others but XGM is really where it's at: light enough to be near vanilla but very different in the fact that you can actually play out games how it should of been. so thank you for this work, its been much appreciated.

as to my question: how to win the Rome vs Pyrrhos fight on VH with fatigue off?

is it even possible?

i've tried different terrains (as in different places to defend or attack the initial indy greek stack), seeing how fatigue is off i thought id try various semi level terrain map for a quick -> run troops into better position (fatigue is off so noprob running) -> flank -> kill defending AI .. but no go. the AI stack seems to be big enough to move and face my attack no matter... this stack is TOUGH!!

elephants are always first priority: getting them into amok mode is great, it seems to helps, or at least its always great to see it crash into the greek line: love it . next comes the enemy general, he always dies: 'the enemy king is dead!'

sometimes i switch it up, first the general, then the elephants. mind you this is always done with the 1x slinger and 2x velites

my problem though is the enemy line, so large and unbreakable. i either put heavies in front, or lights, and switch em up mid fight, use triari to encircle, its never enough. I've tried some various strat map combos of moving my family members around on the first turn to get more general cavalry for a better shock/charge value to help rout, but still no good

ive played this mod a lot, and it's fantastic. problem is i often find myself thinking wow its getting too easy now down the line... hence the reason to go VH/VH. but for crying out loud this fight is near impossible!!!

there's always the option to go defense in depth on the strategic map, which i've tried a little. let pyrrhos take the southern towns, hopes he splits up (both his and the tarentum stack) then destroy, but by turn 3 the loss of the towns + the army upkeep: treasury is in the negative and goes down very very quick. by turn 5 or 6 i think it's like negative 15K denariis give or take a few thousand?

one time i thought lets go historical, lose but inflict damage. it worked for a few turns, meaning my treasury stayed positive for a bit, but the initial damage inflicted was nowhere near the pyrrhic victory it should of been. the negative income came in and from there i couldn't do anything. no retraining and fighting the tarentum+pyrrhos stacks would of been a suicidal rout

help? suggestions? sorry to necro this thread, but the OP is about medium difficulty and you'd think it's also encouraging to turn fatigue on.

fatigue on, while realistic, makes it way to easy: i want hard fights, i enjoy them, like this one (been a few days trying before coming here and first post to ask help) but if theres no way at all... i don't know, it feels like i have to get really lucky with my missile units right at the beginning along with a decisive charge with the general (or generals) and equites to force a retreat, if only it were that easy!

i just want to play romans, but for the love of light i cant even clean out pyrrhos on vh. i know there's pros out there! any tips?

thanks in advance

i almost feel like editing pyrrhos down but that such a cheat.. ugggh

Something that happened to me in my roman campaign, was that Pyrrhus charged alone into my army - way before his army. oO He didn't die though, he alone survived(body guards died) since I wasn't prepared for it. . . LoL! Well - after that the battle was quite easy, as you can imagine. XD

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Ism: I'm glad you like the mod. The only thing I can suggest is a two stage approach. In the first battle try to kill Pyrrhos, the Elephants, the cavalry, and make the best use you can of your pila to wear down some of the better infantry, but then withdraw before your own troops take significant damage.

Does Dime still play XGM?
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Sometimes.

vh/vh let pyrrhus take corfinium. quickly organize northern and southern army, northern takes rebel settlements southern goes from around paestum to attack croton and then tarentum, with spies its possible to take both in one turn if you recruit some on your first turn. leave the majority of the southern army as garrison in tarentum it may take up to 8 or 10 turns for pyrrhus to send out some of his army but youll be ok because your northern army is defending arretium and arriminum (dont expand until pyrrhus is dead) and the southern is defending that area (again dont expand past rhegium until after). when pyrrhus makes his move use spies to open gates of corfinium and take it the very same turn, pyrrhus will always stay behind and be killed. Now you only have the remainder of the epirote army with no general to deal with. Or you can attack the field army first and then take corfinium. i suggest recruiting 3 spies to use for gate opening along with the two you start with. bring the spy in corsica to italy with your ships during the first turn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12