Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biggest RTW wtf? moment

Default Biggest RTW wtf? moment

Just like to know what kind of or or moments anyone have had.

My biggest wtf moment was when I had 4 full stacks attack a German city. The city had about a half stack waiting. I killed all but a group of pikemen and the German Faction Leader.

My stacks advanced towards the square. Suddenly, the FL was surrounded. Then, with one valiant charge, it attacked the unit of Hastati closest to it. All hell broke loose. The first army charged. It seemed like victory until :O one of the units broke. Within seconds, fear and panic spread throughout the army. I was then faced with at least 20 flashing flags. The next army was charged already dishardened by one army running. They ran for it. The third army and forth army followed.

This left me saying WTF?
    Varus? Where are my freaking legions?

Miles

Default Re: Biggest RTW wtf? moment

I'm glad you made this thread. Not sure if my wtf is the same genre as your wtf, but WTF! The Julii declared war on me a few turns ago, coming up into Lovosice - a familiar story. This time I'm playing Scythia (H/VH). Usually it's the Brutii, but whatever. Now, in Armenia, Egypt just declared war on me, first sending ally Parthia my way, then one full army, hard to beat, and now two more, one to besiege and one to block my reinforcing army. I barely clawed together a relieving army after getting shredded from the first chariot-infested monster. So wtf. I wondered when I would end up fighting both Rome and Egypt at the same time. Survival is questionable.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

My wtf moment:

I was trying to capture Numantia on my first ever Julii campaign. It was Gaul's last territory. It had about 600 men inside. I sent a stack of 6 hastati, 6 principes, 3 triarii, 2 archers and 2 equites against it. (This is playing with Huge unit size). I besieged it and built 3 rams.

The next turn, I thought I might as well auto-resolve the battle as the odds in terms of numbers seemed so good for me. And what happened? I lost! I wondered 'huh?' And then did kept on besieging it. After two more turns of ram-building and failed auto-resolves, my force was down from about 2500 men to 1200 men, and the Gauls still had 200 men inside the town.

I finally took it with a battle on the field. But it was like 'wtf'?

Yeh, autoresolve is unreliable attacking cities, also defending. I had a rebel army of just one warband besieging my city. I had 4 units of Town Watch defending. I thought I'd just autoresolve a sally, and I lost! I lost some 160 units, while the warband only sustained about 8 casulties. Truly, WTF?

I was playing as Carthage on vh/vh.I destroyed Romans very easily and quickly.After destroying the biggest threat I started war against Spain.But...Greeks came and besieged Segestica.I said, not a big deal,and destroyed their full stack of hoplites.But next turn the same thing happened but with 2 full stacks of hoplites and armoured hoplites,I won again but with great loses.In that 2 turns I was attacked by Numidia,Gauls,Egypt,Dacia and Germans while I was at war with Spain and Greece.All my neighbours decrlared war on me.I was panicked-but I after I revealed map and SAW that Greeks destroyed Macedonia and Thrace and became Superpower with about 15 settlements and they had about 10 full stacks with armoured hoplites near Salona.I never saw that before.So the big war began.I was doing fine against every other faction I was at war with, but Greeks were so GOOD.I was beating them with heavy loses -my poeni weren't equal to their armoured hoplites but elephants were there to win the battle.And they showed up-the Spartans ,5 units of them and rest were armoured hoplites.So I won closely but I lost my elite sacred band army with my 10 star faction heir.I witdrew to Segestica and Greeks were laying sieges to Segestica turn after turn.I was winning but they were every turn much stronger.For the first time I thought that I could lose campaign.In the meantime I destroyed Numidia,Spain and Gauls so I could concentrate on Greeks.I gathered two big stacks in Carthage and with my faction leader I went to Greece to besiege Sparta and Corinth.Stupid Greeks defended their homeland with militia hoplites while their elite armies they were sending to Segestica.So when they realised what is going on I conquered whole Greece and they were in BIG TROUBLE.They didn't capture Segestica but they lost every settlement they owned.I was on the edge on defeat for the first time but I finally won!

I had one yesterday. I had a complete legion (it was RS, but that doesn't matter) and was attacked by the Greeks on Creta, near Kydonia. They had 3 complete armies, because I was sieging Kydonia, where the only unit left was their Faction Leader. Crushing victory (this evening screens) was the result. My general gained at least 3 stars. In the same turn, I was attacked by another Greek army. Not a problem, I was thinking. Battle started, a good fight, and suddenly, I got a message my general (the good one from above, yes) was killed! One enemy unit (spearmen ) had got behind my line and killed him. That was a very sad moment.

Oh, by the way, I captured Kydonia afterwards. In your face, greek losers.
    Vale,

on medium/medium, i've faced 5-6 Crushing Defeats on auto-resolve, with full 20-stack armies against individual British Warlords holed up in their last towns in Brittannia.

I had a half stack of spartans, 5 armored hoplites, and 5 hoplites right next to Segesta, a Julii holding. Thinking it would be an easy fight, I quickly attacked. I built a ram and 2 siege ladders. Next turn, the romans hadn't sallied, so I attacked. My ram was destroyed, no big deal, I still had ladders. Got both ladders on the walls. Sent half my army up one, half up the other. On one side the romans had a mixture of triarii and hastati, on the other, peasants and town watch. The plan was to destroy the town watch and peasants ad then attack the open flank of the triarii and hastati. So, I attacked. At first, my spartans cut through the peasants and town watch. My other spartans where holed up o the other wall. They were having trouble establishing a foothold, so I sent 3 spartans, 2 armored hoplites, and a hoplite to attack the wall. I sent the rest (2 spartans, 3 armoreds, and 4 hoplites) against the center, where the general's bodyguard was, along with some peasant and 1 hastati unit. Suddenly, My armored hoplites and hoplites where all dead. I hadn't seen them being slaughtered by the triarii and hastati on the wall. Half of a spartan unit was dead, 1/4 of the rest. I sent the rest of my army to help. As they were running to help, the general, peasants and hastati charged and killed my hoplites and half my spartans before routing. So, with 1 spartan unit on the ground, I charged the wall. I was able to kill 2-3 hastati before 1 of my spartans routed. As if 1 spartan rout wasn't strange enough, 2 more spartans routed. With only a couple spartan units left I was a little scared, but thought they could handle it. I was wrong. By the end of the battle, all my units were routed or dead. A half stack of spartans, 5 armored hoplites and 5 hoplites couldn't defeat a roman general, 5 peasants, 5 triarii, and 9 hastati. WTF?
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Out-of-ammo missile cavalry from the AI not going off skirmish mode is my biggest annoyance with this game. You spend more time maneuvering them into a corner then you spent on the actual battle. This becomes especially annoying when you attack a lone rebel unit with just your general's bodyguard.

spl00ge:
    Phalanx units suck on walls. Next time bring some onagers to blast through the walls and destroy some remaining towers.

My WTF moment

I was playing a 1v1 Bridge battle and my enemy had just ongaers
    he killed some of my men really fast and then he said "this is why u get onagers in bridge battles". haha
    I Have Not Yet Begun To Fight

JOHN PAUL JONES

Ever had a WTF moment for a good reason?

Had to me yesterday, was playing a Juli Campaign on VH/VH, was still early in the game ~40turns, had conquered Athens, Corinth, Malissa, Patavium, Mediolium, Carthage, Thapus, and had conquered Palma with my 10star general, Manius Julius and his battle hardened, silver chevrons, (some of them) troops, had set sail for Narbo Maritius via 2 units of Trireme, and I hit the end turn button after completing everything, then a stupid 1 unit of 12men bireme from Carthage comes and shows him the oceans.....

Quote Originally Posted by Summitz View Post
    Had to me yesterday, was playing a Juli Campaign on VH/VH, was still early in the game ~40turns, had conquered Athens, Corinth, Malissa, Patavium, Mediolium, Carthage, Thapus, and had conquered Palma with my 10star general, Manius Julius and his battle hardened, silver chevrons, (some of them) troops, had set sail for Narbo Maritius via 2 units of Trireme, and I hit the end turn button after completing everything, then a stupid 1 unit of 12men bireme from Carthage comes and shows him the oceans.....
    I hate that! Every time I happen to have a huge army on the biggest fleet I can assemble, about 3 units of pirate ships own them all...

Lol, yes, makes me mad when it happens. The only ships which cant be owned are the Quiremene and the Corvus Quiremene, cuz these are the ships those pirates cant build

Yesterday... I had a fully equiped army, a complete legion, under command of my best general. It was standing not far of Leptis Magna, where a Carthaginian army was waiting for a good fight. Unfortunately, there was a fullstack army in Leptis Magna itself, so I decided not to fight, because it was going to be to difficult and dangerous. So I press the end turn button, I'm attacked by the two Carthaginian armies and I retreat.
    It's my turn again, and I take a look at my army... which isn't there anymore. It just 'disappeared' and my general died...
    Vale,

Quote Originally Posted by pwijnands View Post
    spl00ge:
    Phalanx units suck on walls. Next time bring some onagers to blast through the walls and destroy some remaining towers.
    Yeah... I was hoping the ram would make it. It was still strange though, normally my spartans can cut through hastati and triarii even on a wall.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Perhaps they were urban cohorts in disguise.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrus Castus View Post
    Yesterday... I had a fully equiped army, a complete legion, under command of my best general. It was standing not far of Leptis Magna, where a Carthaginian army was waiting for a good fight. Unfortunately, there was a fullstack army in Leptis Magna itself, so I decided not to fight, because it was going to be to difficult and dangerous. So I press the end turn button, I'm attacked by the two Carthaginian armies and I retreat.
    It's my turn again, and I take a look at my army... which isn't there anymore. It just 'disappeared' and my general died...
    Don't you just hate that? That, is why you fight to the bitter end...

:hmmm:

Last edited by Kamos; March 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Wtf indeed.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast