Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 113

Thread: Why Ireland?

  1. #81
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa...
    Posts
    3,721

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    SS map is much more realistic than the BC one, minding that the BC mapper tilted it much, in order for the desired regions to fill the rectangular and because the area (except the far west of it) is just simply dull with no seas or anything - but hey, this is what Asia is... SS map is beautiful in-game (previews suck - they are unanimated), and I'd like to see more work on regions instead.

  2. #82
    Jingles's Avatar Sohei
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,810

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Any chance of merging the Templars with KOJ and introducing one of the other crusade states of outremer, like Tripoli Antioch or Edessa? I think that KOJ should be available in the early campaign also.

  3. #83
    numerosdecimus's Avatar Sōkō no yari
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    The point i was trying to make is not that Portugal were unimportant in the medieval ages, but really that compared to Aragon if, like JMSlayer said, that Aragon should be removed then i was just suggesting that imho Portugal should be removed before them because they did not have such an impact compared to the Crown of Aragon.
    (apologises for the misinterpretation)

    That's just it, none of them can be removed, both of them there too important in their own ways, be it on the mediterranian or in the atlantic. People are free to say whatever they want but when someone starts to say he want this and that faction (I'm not referring to no one in here only speaking in general) to be removed is simply babling. To say I want whatever faction I point out to be remove is simply disrespecting and ignoring that faction's history. I for one would NEVER remove Aragon, I was one of the people who most wanted it in the game because of several things, first because Aragon, Portugal, Castile and the Moors will provide an excellent and the best representation of Iberia, second, because of their actually growing importance during the medieval period, the same happens with Portugal.

    My stand on this is that all factions which already exist in SS are not to removed, with the exception of the Templars which should be merged with the KoJ. No faction is removed, it doesn't make any sence and only put us one step closer to complete anarchy concerning the faction choice. People have to realize that it's disrespectfull to simply state to remove any faction they want especially when they have already been chosen and recognized by their importance previously. Case closed, with the exception of the very rare case such as the Templars, solely because of representation issues, not because of substituting the faction itself.

    We have to remember that Portugal was a newly independent kingdom from the Kingdom of Leon so it was relatively unimportant compared to others like the Kingdom of Castile. Yes Aragon was also relatively unimportant too at that time but what im trying to say is that Aragon's history is more expansive, diverse and interactive compared to portugal which yes they did contribute a lot in the reconquista but this was also done by Aragon.....they only "beat" Aragon in the discovering period.
    In the very beginning (1100-1200) yes, but already after 1220 their economical importance in the atlantic grew a lot, from the reconstruction of the navy, to the trade fleet, the existing trade routes, and the importance of coastal Portuguese cities as trade routes, being Lisbon the main trade hub in atlantic Europe. The whole talk about "beat" is inaccurate, if you're solely talking about territorial conquest then it's invalid for the most part, territory alone won't decide if a faction is worth being in the game. As for expansive history, Portugal's history has always been expansive, be it in a cultural way, or influence. Aragon's history is as expansive as Portugal's, the definiton you're applying is trying to over emphasize on an issue which is actually equal to both countries and doesn't remove any right from one of the two. You're overly simplifying things, Aragon didn't beat Portugal in any way, and if they conquered more territory than Portugal this doesn't remove any reason for Portugal to be in, and nor is Iberia overcrowded, should one more faction be in Iberia than the currently existing 4, than it would then be crowded.

    You say that they were economically important and im not disputing that, in fact i agree since they were had the benefits of the Mediterranean and Hanseatic League trade. i just still think that Aragon, with a monopoly in the Mediterranean were more important than their counterparts.
    Up and downs, and the fact that one faction has an advantage in one region only gives then reason to be in the game, not remove any importance from the other.

    The truth is that game wise, Portugal seem to be there for the Americas and since SS 6.0 doesn't have it anymore then it just seems pointless. Im pretty sure that if there had been no americas then they would have chosen Aragon instead. Their greatness commences in the time of discovery and by the time this occurs the game is about to finish.
    But you can apply many other conditions such as these to other factions. Factions that rarely expand beyond their initial position, gameplay consequences etc. Furthermore it's not a matter of "greatness", but a matter of importance, relatively speaking, they already had it. Besides, if you want an accurate enough representation of Iberia then it's with the 4 currently existing factions in SS that you can achieve it without overcrowding it.

    In other words, if you want an accurate portray in SS, then having 4 factions is good enough if not optimal, according to number of provinces there is in Iberia. There is a valid argument that due to the fact that Portugal only has 3 provinces in it's home territory this can reduce it's relative importance gameplay wise if we take into account the whole map, however every faction can expand with every game, it will only less likely that you'll find them expanding like crazy.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; March 20, 2008 at 04:20 PM.

  4. #84
    spanish_emperor's Avatar Sagittarius
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,355

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    (apologises for the misinterpretation)
    No worries, it was my fault really

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    People are free to say whatever they want but when someone starts to say he want this and that faction (I'm not referring to no one in here only speaking in general) to be removed is simply babling. To say I want whatever faction I point out to be remove is simply disrespecting and ignoring that faction's history.
    I was just giving my point of view and a proposal. Im not going to threaten you or anyone else if you don't do want i want. Im not going shout or swear nor am i disrespecting other people, countries or hstory. I respect everyones decision, whether i agreed with it or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    I for one would NEVER remove Aragon, I was one of the people who most wanted it in the game because of several things, first because Aragon, Portugal, Castile and the Moors will provide an excellent and the best representation of Iberia, second, because of their actually growing importance during the medieval period, the same happens with Portugal.
    agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    the Templars should be merged with the KoJ.
    agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    No faction is removed, it doesn't make any sence and only put us one step closer to complete anarchy concerning the faction choice. People have to realize that it's disrespectfull to simply state to remove any faction they want especially when they have already been chosen and recognized by their importance previously.
    i can live with this, although i would still love to see another faction in the east. There are just not enough factions there really So thats why i would like to see another faction, preferrably Georgia (don't know their unit rooster) but i chose them because i would hate to see an almost identical islamic faction differed only by name.
    I don't mean to be disrespectful but im just trying to give my opinion and find a solution that will be accepted by the majority of the SS community and for game play reasons; the game is about conquest and battles (really the rest are just add ons) and if i wanted to play a game not focused on battles then i would be playing civilization. Historically speaking Portugal and Ireland didn't conquer much compared to other factions and like i stated above, the game should be about conquest and battles. Of course there can always be a Portugal that recreates the roman empire but this would be historically inaccurate, and many people look to this game for historic accuracy (not that i mind but im just giving views of other people). Although of course the game isn't real life and not everything can be implemented like reality, so a line must be marked to create a balance between historic accuracy and game play.

    No you might be asking yourself, well Georgia didn't conquer that much at all. But the reason Georgia is being proposed really is because of game play reasons such as holding the turks down in the middle east for some time, and of course new factions have to be placed once in a while to make different and arouse interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    The whole talk about "beat" is inaccurate, if you're solely talking about territorial conquest then it's invalid for the most part, territory alone won't decide if a faction is worth being in the game.
    Well i guess thats your view but really not mine. As i said before the game is mostly about territorial conquest. You win by conquering the most not y having the most prosperous city or economy in the world. This is something that we use to achieve the original purpose, conquest.
    See how i put "beat". It means that really i do not agree that you are better than the other because you can conquer more. No this is not necessarily true in real life, but in the game it is.
    Speaking game wise;
    you say that by having porutgal it represents the Iberian peninsula more accurate. Well there are many places in the game that aren't represented that well either and would still not be represented that well compared to Iberia if Portugal was taken out. But as i see it Castile and Aragon already represent this good enough. The peninsula in the game is too small to want to have so many factions. Moors don't need 3 opponents in the peninsula. If your objective is to have christian battles in the peninsula then it can be done between aragon and Castile. Portugal is therefore not necessary for either of these, unless you want a greater Christian conflict in Iberia which in this case it seems pointless since the map is too small.
    I just don't see your reasons to stick with portugal...you've given me historical reasons (which do not satisfy my point of view and don't seem like a good enough reason, but hey i respect it either way) but you haven't given me any game play reasons yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    You're overly simplifying things, Aragon didn't beat Portugal in any way, and if they conquered more territory than Portugal this doesn't remove any reason for Portugal to be in.....Furthermore it's not a matter of "greatness", but a matter of importance, relatively speaking
    look ^

    Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    There is a valid argument that due to the fact that Portugal only has 3 provinces in it's home territory this can reduce it's relative importance game play wise if we take into account the whole map, however every faction can expand with every game, it will only less likely that you'll find them expanding like crazy.
    I agree with this statement. Really if they don't expand and die pretty soon then what is the point in having them. They are just an obstacle pretty much like rebels and therefore we waste a faction slot that could be used on another faction. So having rebels might not change it that much.
    You can't although compare them with the same game play reasons such as poland since poland, although they don't expand that much, actually create a necessary barrier, while Portugal don't do any of these since the moors and Castile can attack each other without the need to attack Portugal first. And since the objective in this struggle of the reconquista is the reconquest of Spain by the moors then a war between Portugal and Spain is not and should not be that important.

    WOW my post is a bit long

    sorry but i had to make my point
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this! - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

    Beware of scoundrels



  5. #85
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Templars should not be merged with KoJ

    they are the only faction that is unique to any mod - Lithuanina, Ireland, Kievan Rus' etc are all too common now...

    Long live the Templar!


    HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Maybe at a certain date, or trigger - the 'Kalmar Union' like event should occur which changes the faction?

  6. #86
    JMSlayer's Avatar Suzuki
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Really, when I look at a factions 'importance' in the game, I don't look at it's actual history. Let's face it, this isn't a historical recreation, it isn't designed to simulate the Medieval Era, that simply isn't possible. The depth of political, religious and social eccentricities of the individual nations simply cannot be captured in a game in which the majority of the 'players' are artificial intelligences.

    That said, I only suggested Aragon because Portugal had seniority in the game. Iberia, in my mind, represents an opporunity for an Islamic faction to take advantage of a rivalry between Catholic factions. The Moors, when compared to the Suljuks or the Fatmids, are a minor threat the Catholics, which is why they are really in a superb position. The greedy western eye is turned towards the Holy Land, while the Alamorids (sp?) strike at the furthest possible point from that aformentioined goal.

    That said, everything I have said is merely opinion. I just don't think that keeping a faction based on what it did through international trade (a pathetically represented factor in this game)

    To sum it up:
    ...if you're solely talking about territorial conquest then it's invalid for the most part, territory alone won't decide if a faction is worth being in the game.
    I disagree with this. This is a 'Total War' game. While trade should have a great importance in a Medieval era game, it isn't represented well in this game. It is my personal belief that Portugal or Aragon are redundant factions. Personally, I find Milan to be a rather redundant faction, but converting it's settlements to Rebel will ruin much of the Italian region's 'powder keg' status.

    As I said, this is all my opinion.

  7. #87
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Leave the factions as they are - you will upset the forces of the Khongism that rule over Europe! --

  8. #88
    spanish_emperor's Avatar Sagittarius
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,355

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Quote Originally Posted by JMSlayer View Post
    Really, when I look at a factions 'importance' in the game, I don't look at it's actual history. Let's face it, this isn't a historical recreation, it isn't designed to simulate the Medieval Era, that simply isn't possible. The depth of political, religious and social eccentricities of the individual nations simply cannot be captured in a game in which the majority of the 'players' are artificial intelligences.
    This is true. But people still ,although it can't be represented, want to recreate history in the game. It is why they chose it as medieval. Even though it doesn't represent history itself it is a game based on history and we can't just say that because we can't recreate history we shouldn't be disscusing the historical facts of the factions in SS to see if we should put them in. It won't be acceptable to put the kingdom of navarre instead of portugal or milan for example.

    but the most important part that can be recreated (even if it isn't to a great extent) is territorial expansion. So considering that we DO have to choose factions by their history, since it is a history game of conquest, we should base it on territorial expansion. No other can be portayed as well in the game. If it were about economy then it would be Medieval 2 Total Economy.



    Quote Originally Posted by JMSlayer View Post
    That said, I only suggested Aragon because Portugal had seniority in the game.
    What do you mean exactly??

    Quote Originally Posted by JMSlayer View Post
    Iberia, in my mind, represents an opporunity for an Islamic faction to take advantage of a rivalry between Catholic factions.
    I would not have anything against this if the map were bigger or had more provinces. I just think that it is overcrowded compared to other places like the east. maybe the permanent forts will allow this to work better, so we will have to wait and see.

    Edit: I don't have anything against other factions, in fact i love all factions but i see that the middle east needs some more improvement and that imho i don't think the bad consequences of taking a western faction will be that bad compared to the good that it will make to give a new faction in the west
    Last edited by spanish_emperor; March 21, 2008 at 07:00 AM.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this! - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

    Beware of scoundrels



  9. #89
    numerosdecimus's Avatar Sōkō no yari
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    I was just giving my point of view and a proposal. Im not going to threaten you or anyone else if you don't do want i want. Im not going shout or swear nor am i disrespecting other people, countries or hstory. I respect everyones decision, whether i agreed with it or not.
    I was just speaking in general and also refering to the "removing aragon proposal". I disagree with both proposal because they are both important factions, none of them have any reason to be out, nor would I chose Aragon over Portugal or Portugal over Aragon because that would then be a completely unfair choice from me, both sides are important in their own ways.

    The issue about removing Portugal or Aragon, is out of question for me.

    i can live with this, although i would still love to see another faction in the east. There are just not enough factions there really So thats why i would like to see another faction, preferrably Georgia (don't know their unit rooster) but i chose them because i would hate to see an almost identical islamic faction differed only by name.
    I don't mean to be disrespectful but im just trying to give my opinion and find a solution that will be accepted by the majority of the SS community and for game play reasons; the game is about conquest and battles (really the rest are just add ons) and if i wanted to play a game not focused on battles then i would be playing civilization. Historically speaking Portugal and Ireland didn't conquer much compared to other factions and like i stated above, the game should be about conquest and battles. Of course there can always be a Portugal that recreates the roman empire but this would be historically inaccurate, and many people look to this game for historic accuracy (not that i mind but im just giving views of other people). Although of course the game isn't real life and not everything can be implemented like reality, so a line must be marked to create a balance between historic accuracy and game play.
    Gameplay reasons: Playing a faction that with it's position and neighbour factions makes for a competitive game(like many other in the mod), also, they unit roster is excellent.

    You should also have in mind that there are other factions that historically conquered aproximately the same territory as Portugal, and having similar numbers of provinces, and if you have in mind the entire game period 1080-1500, then Portugal conquered more than most factions. As for the historical premise of being military active and participant in many battles, then yes Portugal indeed was, from naval battles to several battle with Castile and the Moors from since it's independence. Switching alliances and wars were frequent between these 3 factions.

    Besides, this mod goes in the alternative history route, this automatically gives any faction in the mod reason to conquer whatever they want, even if their position makes it difficult for them to successfull everytime, furthermore, I've already seen Portugal expanding several time through north africa and northern territories, and these events are relatively common.

    No you might be asking yourself, well Georgia didn't conquer that much at all. But the reason Georgia is being proposed really is because of game play reasons such as holding the turks down in the middle east for some time, and of course new factions have to be placed once in a while to make different and arouse interest.
    This doesn't suport any view of removing Portugal, furthermore, there are still faction slots available if we merge the timurids and merge the Templars with KoJ, thus allowing for Serbia and Georgia possibly for instance, which in my personal opinion I want them in the mod. Furthermore, one good reason for Portugal to be in the game is because it creates a balance of power in the peninsula, had it not been this way (because I already did several test in previous versions, thus my wish for Aragon to be in) then the faction balance of power in the peninsula would them become severely unbalanced, giving Castile Leon the large and most frequent advantage over Aragon and the Moors specially.

    Well i guess thats your view but really not mine. As i said before the game is mostly about territorial conquest. You win by conquering the most not y having the most prosperous city or economy in the world. This is something that we use to achieve the original purpose, conquest.
    See how i put "beat". It means that really i do not agree that you are better than the other because you can conquer more. No this is not necessarily true in real life, but in the game it is.
    This isn't much a matter of being "better", but a matter of being important, being important enough makes it necessary to be represented.

    Speaking game wise;
    you say that by having porutgal it represents the Iberian peninsula more accurate. Well there are many places in the game that aren't represented that well either and would still not be represented that well compared to Iberia if Portugal was taken out. But as i see it Castile and Aragon already represent this good enough. The peninsula in the game is too small to want to have so many factions. Moors don't need 3 opponents in the peninsula. If your objective is to have christian battles in the peninsula then it can be done between aragon and Castile. Portugal is therefore not necessary for either of these, unless you want a greater Christian conflict in Iberia which in this case it seems pointless since the map is too small.
    I just don't see your reasons to stick with portugal...you've given me historical reasons (which do not satisfy my point of view and don't seem like a good enough reason, but hey i respect it either way) but you haven't given me any game play reasons yet.
    Due to it's historically importance having Portugal is necessary for a correct portray of the peninsula. As for historical reasons, I can't name them all, but if you want examples then please read some of my previous examples. As for other locations, this is heavily debatable, and there are certainly some locations which lack factions, however, to remove Portugal from the mod would make Iberia one of the less correct represented locations in the map, it's importance makes it necessary to be there.

    I agree with this statement. Really if they don't expand and die pretty soon then what is the point in having them. They are just an obstacle pretty much like rebels and therefore we waste a faction slot that could be used on another faction. So having rebels might not change it that much.
    You can't although compare them with the same game play reasons such as poland since poland, although they don't expand that much, actually create a necessary barrier, while Portugal don't do any of these since the moors and Castile can attack each other without the need to attack Portugal first. And since the objective in this struggle of the reconquista is the reconquest of Spain by the moors then a war between Portugal and Spain is not and should not be that important.
    No, your statement is very incorrect, I've long done test on this region for KK and Moors almost always attack Portugal first, and Castile is closely behind them in this aspect. POrtugal's gamepaly reason in the peninsula is actually mostly of balance than of anything else since I've already done extensive testing concerning this in for previous versions.

    It's not this simple, and wasn't that simple. Castile asked for Portugal's help several times in the reconquista period and Portugal only ended it's period of Iberian conquest from the Moors in the 1240's. From the 1240's (and also before) to the end 14th century Portugal went through a lot wars with Castile and the Moors, being alliance exchanges very frequent, and lets not forget the 1383-1385 crisis, and their participance in european conflicts such as the 100 years wars which they were crucial for England's survival. From 1400's onwards Portugal was actively expanding beyond the Iberian peninsula, something no other Iberian faction would for generations to come, having Portugal then being militarely very active against the Moors in north africa (winning and loosing various conflicts), only to in the 1480's to become the richest state in Europe and with the strongest currency in Europe.

    I think this is more than enough reason for them to be in. Portugal's fits like a glove in terms of impotance in the mod, the more you progress from 1080 to the 1500's the more important they become, becoming effectively the main world power in the 1500's.

    I fail to see how you're so downplaying the importance of Portugal with little reason and constantly mentioning other factions as reasons for Portugal to be out, when most of these very factions you mention (no disrespect) didn't even do as much as Portugal nor were as much important (overhaul speaking) in from 1080 to 1500.

    Factions are chosen because of their overhaul importance and impact, and Portugal fits in both cases and is among the most important factions, many other factions that don't, are being referenced as your main reason for Portugal to be out, along with the need to accurately portray other region, well the same is necessary in Iberia, you need Portugal in the mod in order to have Iberia accurately protrayed and also having one of the most important factions in the game, not to mention gameplay balance in the peninsula. While other factions are indeed desirable and necessary to represent other regions with the same level of accuracy as Iberia for instance, this shouldn't come at the expense of Portugal, who's substitution has little or no reason. You simply can't have them all in the mod, the faction limit doesn't allow it, however, practically all factions that already existing in mod have their right to be in it because they already were important enough to be in the mod.

    We can try to stretch the faction limit as much as we want and in the end I would be very satisfied to see Georgia and Serbia, or other factions be in the mod, but it's without reason to wish for an important faction to be removed, one that ironically is among the most important in the mod (and an excellent unit roster as a good bonus).

    These are my two cents. Remember, I don't want Aragon's removal for Portugal's benefit or vice versa, since I never agreed to such a point of view (and if my explanations gave the impression of this then I apologise), because none have any reason to be out, it's out of question for me to remove any Iberian faction for the benefit of other factions, speciffically Portugal and Aragon.

    Wether people's personal preferences are others, in the end people have to learn that these faction's importance gives them no reason to be out, they were chosen from the start because of their importance, having in mind the global sceme of things.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; March 21, 2008 at 09:32 AM.

  10. #90
    Murakawa
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    i played ireland twice
    i thought it was fun
    i got to DESTROY the french and not worrey about the bastards attacking me

    and guiniess is the best beer or sweetwater 420
    end of story.

  11. #91
    llamasboy's Avatar Yoshihara
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    In my french game they actually invaded and attacked my town (cant remeber the name, its the most northwest in france) with a full stack and destroyed my two militia units there. Then they allied with england and both sent about 3 full stacks into normandy.

  12. #92
    spanish_emperor's Avatar Sagittarius
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,355

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    at numerosdecimus, hey thats a latin name right meaning decimal numbers, right? woops got distracted

    i've come to realize that there is not point in continuing this argument because you will never convince me and i will never convince you.
    so you win

    I has been a pleasure to discuss this with you and see others peoples point of view. Whatever happens i won't really care because of the overall greatness of the mod.
    You guys have made this mod with love and dedication so i would like to say Thank You. After all you guys are doing us all a favor and i think it should be fair that you guys decide what factions goes in,etc.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this! - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

    Beware of scoundrels



  13. #93
    Oberbefehlshaber's Avatar Princeps
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,074

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    better game balance needed, love the game.
    - The Last Kingdom Team Member -

  14. #94
    Aedan2812's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Historically Ireland didn't make many attempts to expand past their coast line, their attempts to do so were never even close to successful. Not to mention that the entire island was split up and quarrels over territories happened regularly (not usually in the form of battle however). Their was a High King but his power decreased during the time M2 is set in. Ireland had extremely valuable ports, thats why so many different peoples showed interest in the tiny island. The Norse never actually conquered all of ireland, just its ports such as Dublin and Waterford. Spain and France often traded with Ireland creating alot of wealth in the land.

    It would be great if Ireland's economical prowess and value could be reflected in SS, and maybe getting trade agreements or controlling a port would give the foriegn nation a good income boost. In the Britannia campaign, playing as ireland i recaptured all the Irish territories then waited, making alliances with Scotland and Wales, but about turn 60 i had over 300,000 florins. And only the Irish territories. I didnt want to expand into england, i would sometimes help scotland or wales defend themselves from the English or the Norwegians. But most of the time all i had to do was defend my coast from Norwegians and the English or have my armies on rebel patrol. It was alot of fun really. i think the highest my treasury got to was around 700000 florins then i decided to play as another faction.

    I just think it would be cool if Ireland was played as an economical Nation instead of a conquest type nation.

    Sorry if someone has already mentioned this i havent read all the posts :p
    The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess...but He's pretty sure your @#$%^&

  15. #95
    ehecatzin's Avatar Wimmer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    well I decided to play Ireland in my campaign, I was tired of them never doing nothing at all, even tho once they conquered Scotland while I was invading England as Spain. Ireland is fun to play as a human player, but thats about it, when you play any other faction, Ireland doesn nothing, they just sit in their Island and have tons of princesses. I wouldnt mind if Ireland was out in favor of another faction...whatever that is.

  16. #96
    Aedan2812's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    I wish that there wasn't a limit to the amount of factions there could be in a campaign, or the 500 unit max or the 200 provinces max. Imagin a supermod with Lusted or GrandViz's AI all the factions from Kingdoms and Vanilla, All the units from Kingdoms and Vanilla, lots more provinces, with lots more room between cities for good old fashion field battles. Then we could keep Ireland in the game and have whatever factions we wanted.

    I really like ireland =]
    The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess...but He's pretty sure your @#$%^&

  17. #97
    Lord_Calidor's Avatar King Tomislav
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rijeka, CRO
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Too much text in this thread, and not enough disrobed-female-allusions.
    For a start, I suggest Amazon faction somewhere around east Black Sea region (hey, how about Georgia out - topless female zero cellulit faction in?!?), with pagan religion and special units of priestesses in natural, god-given skin. That shouldn't be too hard to model & reskin...

    Author of the ---== Knights Templar Mod ==---
    Creator of the ---== Lord Calidor's Weapon Pack 1 ==---
    Member of the ---== Dominion of the Sword ==--- and ---== C.B.U.R.P ==---

  18. #98
    Mjr Phil's Avatar Wimmer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    I don't see Ireland as a valuable faction, but I don't care enough about history to point good replacement. Ideally I would see Free People (instead of all rebels), just the way Roma Surrectum did it.

  19. #99
    Bohun's Avatar Yoshihara
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Black Hole
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Quote Originally Posted by timothytheweasel View Post
    Tyksie !
    Tyskie m8

    By the way i played Irish one campaing vh/vh and it was very nice expierience and much more intresting than Scotland campaign.
    Ireland after reached little bit more regions and money has got very good and strong units specially Swordsman from ulster and Ostman as well
    Cavalry isnt super strong but is the similar level what Denmark and Russia
    Last edited by Bohun; March 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

  20. #100
    Siculus's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Why Ireland?

    Has anyone seen an AI Ireland join a Crusade?

    Siculus

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •