Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Why Ireland?

Default Re: Why Ireland?

Allu X said they did in his submod that enhances the Irish AI a tad.

Erlinggra's Avatar Campidoctor

Although I would like to see some historically more important faction added, why should Ireland go? I agree they were not the most influential, but neither was Norway, or Scotland. The Viking-era ended in the 1030’s-1060. That is before this game even starts, after that Norway did very little to influence anything outside its own borders (except having a King that was excommunicated and being conquered by the Danish). Ireland did little outside its own borders in the time period of the game and Scotland is there probably for two reasons,
    1. Balancing the British Iles
    2. Braveheart
    So why not have one, or two of them go? Get rid of Scotland and Norway?:hmmm:

I am not for this thought I am simply making a point, there are several factions that are in the game that wasn’t that important historically.

The reason I am bringing up these three factions however is simple. (In my opinion at least) they are the once with the weakest unit rosters.

Does anyone else agree with that?

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I like Norway

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Ireland was historicially important. They just didn't attempt world domination

Besides, None of these factions ever really took over much more then they start with anyway, so why not remove all of the factions by logic :p None of the factions had an immortal emperor who controlled everything from behind the scenes either, so let's cut the player out too!

I say keep Ireland. Ireland, has proven to be a capable and soverign nation. Just look how long they have held out against all of their enemies in the real world. Even if Ireland doesnt have many strong units, Ireland is a favourite faction of many players. None of these factions that do not even exit yet are anyone's favourites. If ireland lost in a poll by some extreme amount, it owuld be one thing.
    As for the Paladin, the battle with the Dragon isn't the danger, it's the battle in the heart that he must be wary of.

If you like infantry then Scotland is one of the best factions. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    If you like infantry then Scotland is one of the best factions. But that's just my opinion.
    Well, they have very nice early units (highlanders) , but their late units are just like any other faction's. Their pikemen are average, and they are lacking in archers.

Norway just needs some more units allover same with Ireland. All theese factions have nice early units but as i said their late-game units are
    non-existant.

I thought Norway had a ton of units? Or is that Denmark? Anyway three types of archers is all I need, if I needed more I can just get mercs.

Scotland and Ireland should both stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    I thought Norway had a ton of units? Or is that Denmark? Anyway three types of archers is all I need, if I needed more I can just get mercs.

Scotland and Ireland should both stay.
    That would be Denmark. Norway basically has the same unit roster but smaller.

And i agree with you. All nations should stay, but some of them need some love, Norway, Ireland and scotland need some better late-game units.

Mercs are more expencive and cant be relied on like a profesional army which is why i want more armies for all nations, but some need it more that others.

In my mini-mod Ireland are drastically improved and are actually worth the faction slot, they fight for the British Isles and France... crusade etc,

Why not make them a non-playable faction in SS? that way the maximum amount of playable factions will not be exceeded, right? So then you can add all sorts of factions as non-playable in SS (you could alter the files to make them playable, by switching another faction to non-playable).
    Besides, I played Ireland in SS (6.1) and it takes about 20 turns to get away form Ireland because the settlements there are low on population (so no ports).

That's historical accuracy for ya
    Last edited by Dorkules; October 29, 2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: because I wanted to

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

playable or not they are still a distinct faction and count as such.

Given their unique roster I'd be opposed to seeing them removed.

AM trying to find ways of buffing them without unbalancing game.
    But bigger towns (or start with Dublin with a port should see them more active.)

I'm just starting an Irish campaign as its one of few I haven't tried yet (plus I live there) and it is proving one of the most interesting so far I like that you don't get the bog standed armoured spearmen/swordsmen/dfk and do get interesting others on the roster. My favourites so far are the cheapest light cav (can't remember name) as they have AP axes for mellee - unheard of! Also those two handers Ulster men are good for chopping Looking forwards to the Muire as well to mince those scots, along with those welsh long bow blokes...
    So yeah keep Ireland! (and those that say no, give them a try and then see what you think )
    member of S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    Why Ireland? Because Irish girls do it better

And they are very fun to play, but yes i would rather have Georgia,

I have to put on my sunglasses to look at that picture. Darn that woman is WHITE. Ireland must be just like England, the sun never comes out there either.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456