Thread: Difficulty levels?

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

Default Difficulty levels?

How long have ye honest soldiers of SSdom been playing on your current difficulty and why?

I just got SS recently so I'm going to finish my France campaign on M/M.

Skooma Addict's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Difficulty levels?

I play the Steel that is without Stain on very hard/very hard. I switched from med/med. I played on medium simply because I was too lazy to change it. It's a lot more interesting on very hard. Now the AI expands and such but it's still pretty simple after one or two play-throughs. Unless you have XAI that is.

I have been playing VH - campaign, and M - battle.

Im not sure if Medium battle effects the actual AI. I was under the impression that battle difficulty only adds bonuses (ie. defence and moral) to the AI units. Can anyone correct me on this?

I did some testing with custom battles. Men-at-arms vs Men-at-arms, and the like, and Medium difficulty seemed to be the most balanced. So I use the VH campaign difficulty for the challenge, but I didnt see the point of making battles harder by just giving the AI "cheat" uber units.

Maybe I am wrong and it does effect the AI of battles?
    ~Loyalty always, but honor first.~

Can't tell the factual truth of the matter, but in my experience they didn't get any better or smarter at all really. The battles lasted longer but I assume it's from raised moral.

That was my experience. If you do some test battles (Man-at-arms vs Man-at-arms) on the different battle difficulties, on even ground, and making your unit run/charge at the same time as the AI you will see what it does. Let them just fight, with out making them "overcharge" (you know, when you make your unit run farther into the other, or past them, then have them attack again; works great with knights) just let them duke it out you can see the fight is much, much more even on M. On VH or H your unit will just get chewed up.
    ~Loyalty always, but honor first.~

Yeah, but on the other hand it forces you to think before you attack, even if you have a slight advantage.

I've been playing VH/VH and its too easy for me. I seriously feel like i"m dominating the world way to easy. I have 400k florins, while other nations still don't have 40k. I have to fund my ally France.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

If you check the config_ai_battle.xml you'll find some differences in the battlefield AI depending on difficulty level.

On the campaign map the extra field army and cash for the AI factions seems to make them a little less likely to suffer rebellions.

VH/M

Been playing that way since my days from Europa Barborum.

is H/H a good setting? that's what I just started playing as.

To start with yes. Later you may want to turn it up a notch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skooma Addict View Post
    To start with yes. Later you may want to turn it up a notch though.
    You mean in the same campaign or after I play my first campaigns?

Laetus

i seem to recall that the setting of M/VH was the best balance of keeping the AI as realistic as possible (aka less random blockading or ports etc) and keeping the battles tough. this might be a thought leftover over from vanilla though.

this still go for SS? Personally, I've been playing on H/VH and the AI seems to hold (coordinated attacks, etc).