Thread: how to add music when you have a total conversion mod?

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Default how to add music when you have a total conversion mod?

Hi all!

I'm coding new custom music into a total conversion mod for Kingdoms expansion.

I was checking decsr_sounds_music file, descr_sound_music_types, descr_sm_factions and descr_regions in order to learn how to implement totally new music for the mod.

6 different music types can be found in game - these then dictate which factions have that distinctive music in descr_sound_music_types.

1. music_type northern_european
    2. music_type eastern_european
    3. music_type southern_european
    4. music_type middle_eastern
    5. music_type mesoamerican
    6. music_type nativeindian

This, as I understand, means we can't have special music for 7 cultures but only for 6 - 7th culture can't have it's culture related music then but will have to borrow music from other culture.
    Is that true? Is there some other way to get the seventh music type?

To implement own music I have to mod decsr_sounds_music file and descr_sound_music_types file since I'm not just simply adding music to vanilla factions in decsr_sounds_music but also have to mod descr_sound_music_types to determine which factions belong to which music type.

Below is an example of how text looks like in this file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    music_type northern_european
    ; denmark
    regions Oslo_Province Stockholm_Province Helsinki_Province Arhus_Province Nottingham_Province Uppsala_Province

; scotland
    regions Inverness_Province Edinburgh_Province Dumfries_Province Aberdeen_Province

; france
    regions Bruges_Province Caen_Province Rheims_Province Rennes_Province Paris_Province
    regions Angers_Province Dijon_Province Bordeaux_Province Toulouse_Province Marseille_Province Narbonne_Province

factions denmark scotland france
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I continue with the implementation of music for our mod culture I change descr_sound_music_types file into this:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    music_type northern_european

regions {I here make the list of all the provinces that certain faction owns - let's say we have factionx.}

factions factionx
    Where do I find the list of all the provinces that are owned by specific faction - in our case factionx? I don't wanna search for data manually by going into the game and seeing what provinces are owned by who. descr_regions is not useful since for every province factionxy is listed as "owners"?

When that is done I continue to mod descr_sounds_music with which I don't have any problems and thus no questions.

What I'm not sure about is how to come to this stage here, how to prepare the base on which you can then edit above texts.
    I've read the tutorials on how to implement music but none of them (at least I haven't spotted it) would explain what you have to do when your mod is based on Kingdoms expansion. I can't quite follow the below guide can I since I don't know which sound files to copy to our mod's data folder. I can put only vanilla ones without kingdoms ones over them but this doesn't work. You see, I can't copy none of the kingdoms files to our data folder since they are campaign specific!

Guide for implementing custom music:
    Here's what I did:
    1. make sure you have io file first command in shortcut like this ""C:\Games\Medieval 2 Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/teutonic --io.file_first" or in medieval2.cfg.
    2. download vanilla M2TW sound files link and place them in mods/(teutonic)or(britannia)or(crusades)or(americas)/data
    3. download Kingdoms sound files (look at post no1) and place them in the same folder overwriting M2TW sound files.
    4. open descr_sounds_music.txt and change the music you want (guide)
    5. if you want to use some of the same custom music you already have in vanilla M2TW's rebuilt music.dat file, then you only need to add lines in DSM corresponding to it. (that was my situation)
    6. delete events.dat, event.idx
    7. launch the game and it rebuilds those events files and the new music is there.
    I didn't find as useful also Trajan's guide here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77905

So people what do you say, you have any knowledge on the matter?

Would be extremely thankful if you would help me + you will get rep
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Default Re: how to add music when you have a total conversion mod?

Music types aren't the same as cultures.
    You can use whatever name you want for them, and I don't think there's a limit on music types.

Here's how descr_sounds_music_types.txt works:

Under every music type, you first specify which regions should get the battle music from your music type. Then, you specify which factions get the campaign map music from your music type.

They don't have to match. So, you can give a region that is controlled by england (faction with the northern_european music type) the middle_eastern music type.

If you want to make a mod that contains every music from every campaign, you'll have to merge the various descr_sounds_music.txt files from every campaign and copy over the .mp3 files from every campaign to <modfolder>/data/sounds/music/
    Grand Campaign: Extended - Adding Kingdoms content to the Grand Campaign.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    Music types aren't the same as cultures.
    You can use whatever name you want for them, and I don't think there's a limit on music types.
    Interesting. So we could possibly have different music for each faction? I've finally gotten around to messing with music, and felt the Byzantines should get their own music type (or share a Greek music type with the Armenians and Georgians in my mod...).

I'll have to test out adding a new music type...unless someone else has done it and can confirm!

I can confirm it!

I added a new music type called british_isles for factions on the british isles. It all works just fine.

Even if music types were the same as cultures, you could still have different music for the byzantines, they have the 'greek' culture after all.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    I can confirm it!

I added a new music type called british_isles for factions on the british isles. It all works just fine.

Even if music types were the same as cultures, you could still have different music for the byzantines, they have the 'greek' culture after all.
    Thanks! + rep!

And you just add the new music type to the descr_sounds_music.txt in the data folder and the descr_sounds_music_types.txt in the maps/base folder?

Those are the only files I need to add the new music type to?

descr_sounds.txt aswell:

Near the bottom, there's a line which includes all music types, seperated by spaces. Add your new music type to the end.

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

That's just great JonR, thanks a lot for your answers, +rep you get!

P.S. Nice to see my post was useful for PDER's music to
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.