Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Curia Iulia, Consulate of Brvtvs\Eqvestris (II)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Curia Iulia, Consulate of Brvtvs\Eqvestris

I itemized them at the beginning of my term. You can find that thread in the senate records.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

thx

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Marcus Valerius walked slowly to the Senate Hall, in order to absorb the applause and cheering the Plebeians gave him every time he won an election. Upon entering the room the Senate occupied, he didn't have to thank many Senators for voting for him, as very few did. This disappointed him greatly, but none-the-less, he took part in the discussion.

"We have a Consular Army of two veteran legions in Sicily, and we have numerous maniples stationed around Italy. We do not need to ask any more men to join our armed forces. A full army of mercenaries is out of the question; our Italic allies and the local Sicilians and Greeks can handle any job that was meant for a mercenary, and they can even do it for a lower pay. Oh, and I'm against a direct naval attack on Carthage. Their fleet can easily outmatch ours, and we're occupied with the remnants of Syracuse.

Roads should be constructed across Italy and Sicily. We need to keep control of Sicily, and I can almost guarantee that we'll feel much unrest from the island once Syracuse is completely destroyed. We can worry about markets and merchants once we've finished subjugating Sicily and once we're 100% sure that we're safe from the tribes of Cisalpine Gaul."

ooc: So, who likes my new avatar?
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius Parthicus enters after Marcus Valerius, and after congratulating him on his election as Tribune, sits himself near the front of the Senate, holding a wax tablet and stylus ready to record notes to fulfill his job as Praetor.

I do not believe we need a massive fleet as of the moment, however, a fleet of about 3 or 4 groups of biremes or trireremes (say about 200 ships or so in total) would suffice to enable our sea trade to continue unmolested.

As for the situation in Sicily, I also hope that our Senior Consul will be able to end the war there as quickly as possible. And I fully approve of his plans to get our economy up and running as well as it could be. It will help any financial problems greatly.

I am against raising many new legions though, as new legions means more upkeep costs, and plus, I believe our plebs are getting a bit fed up of us calling upon men to enlist year after year. They should get a rest, and we should limit the amount of legions during peacetime to save money till when we need it for war again.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Sitting in the second row.
    Servius looks around at all the young pups and wonders if this senate is the place for him.
    His age taking its toll on his body.
    At the ripe age of 57 he cannot remember when last he felt like a young man.
    He stares at the consular wondering how it is that this august body does not even take into account his request from while he was censor.
    They have completely disregarded his suggestion.
    Knowing he was not going to take it to the comitia without approval from the senate they have completely put it aside till new elections came around.
    Now as a ex-tribunue and censor he wields no power.
    Instead he now stares around the marbled room waiting for the next outburst.
    Its always war.

Even the consular having returned from Syracuse seems to want peace with Carthage.
    Maybe his relentless voice against war has rubbed off on someone.
    They talk about farms and ports for more warships.
    Why are the armed forces not being retired.
    Every town in italy has numourous troops with no use except to draw a wage from our treasury.
    A pain in his heart is felt.
    His left side jerks.
    He coughs and straighten himself.
    His heart beating a little faster.
    Breathing becomes an effort.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Is Servius Labienus alright?

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

First Consular Report:

Decimus Brutus, Senior Consul Brutus as was now, waited for several days that fleet he ordered to carry him and his staff to Sicily. Brutus intended to descent to the island and conquer it with an overwhelming force - his two veteran legions. He had promised to the Senate that he would end the war as soon as he was able and he intended to keep that oath. So, he had ordered his top five Legates to assemble any information useful to the war effort as he awaited in Regium.

The Characters:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Consul Decimus Brutus

Legate Quintus Pompeius

Legate Cornelius Dollabela

Legate Marcus Piso

Legate Gaius Fidena

Legate Cornelius Messala

"So, what have you to tell me, Pompeius? How are our legions?" said Brutus, sitting in his office inside his consular tent.

"Sir!" said Pompeius " I have a report ready if you wish to hear it now." when Brutus nodded, Pompeius began reading from a scroll; "Our first legion is lead by Legate Marcus Balbus; he has 2000 men with him and currently he is besieging Catana, following the orders of the previous Consul. His army is composed by 481 Hastati, 381 Principes, 306 Triarii, 592 Velites, 92 Equites and 149 Mercenary Hoplites. As far as we know, the First Legion is fully equipped, fed and with excellent morale."

"Very good... And how is the second Legion?"

"Well sir, the reports aren't favourable. Second consular Legion is lead by Legate Gaius Mamercus. He currently has 1759 men, some of them badly injured. His maniples are depleted with the Hastati being the line to suffer the most casualties. The bright side is that Mamercus has catapults to end the siege of Agrigentum..."

"If you ask me, sir, the second legion must be withdrawn back to Italy for re-equipment and retrains. I seriously doubt if they can handle another battle without losing the 1\3 of the Legion's strength."

"Thank you, Fidena -- but I am aware of that. What else, Pompeius? What is the army's roster?"

"The second legion is composed by 283 Hastati, 296 Principes, 333 Triarii, 269 Velites, 200 Balearic Slingers, 150 Mercenary Peltasts, 152 Light Infantry and 4 catapults manned by 72 slaves. The reports indicate that the army is well fed and equipped but demoralized by the heavy casualties." finished Pompeius and gave the scroll to a servant.

"Well, they could be worse... What of the enemy? Piso, I believe I gave you the responsibility to gather any intelligence for the Sicilians, have I not?"

"That is correct, Consul. This is the situation in Sicily..." Piso opened on the Consul's desk a map depicting Sicily.

"As you can see, the enemy is nowhere to be seen. The only gathered force we have found is near the bridge over here" said Piso pointing to a blue X indicating the enemy position. "As far as we know, there's a general there with no more than 600 men. Other than that, there's no intelligence on the enemy forces."

"Huh? What is over there?" said Massala in a region where Piso has drown a question mark. "Can there be soldiers hiding there?"

"As far as the spies know, there seems to be an enemy settlement there but the spies cannot find out anything regarding the garrison's strength" said Piso. "I believe that they will be weakened though, Consul; why else have they not attacked as already?"

"That says nothing, Piso. What if they are waiting to ambush us?" said Dollabela. "If anything Consul, I believe you must relief the Second Legion; take Agrigentum and ask for some replacements while simultaneously shipping back the depleted maniples."

"I agree with Dollabela, Consul." said Fidena.

"Me too, Consul. The Second Legion must withdraw as soon as possible." added Pompeius.

"So be it, gentlemen. Thank you for the report, I will nor be needing you any more" said Brutus and exited the tent. The Legates all said "AVE CONSUL" in unison and then left the Consul his privacy.

Brutus was alone. "Scribe! Scribe!" he said. A little Greek boy appeared running to his master's call; "Take a letter" Brutus said "From Consul Decimus Iunius Brutus to Caius Cassius

My dear brother, I hope this letter finds you in good health and thriving as usual. I am allright too, you do not need to worry of my safety. I have a favour to ask of you, as a brother to another. Please ask the Senate in my behalf to send me replacements for the depleted Second Consular Legion while I dismiss the veterans to return home. It is crucial for the shake of the campaign that these men are returned to Italy since they have lost far too many comrades and are now very demoralised. My legates think that they will not last another battle, save the siege of Agrigentum so you must be swift with this motion. If need be, ask the fellow Optimates to support this motion, if the rest of the senate is negative, so that we can have at least a chance to get these men off Sicily. Give my love to my wife and children, Caius, and the same to my sister and your wife; she is in the third moth now, correct? I pray to Jupiter and Juno for a boy!

Vale, my dear brother"

OOC: The idea with the portraits isn't mine; I have seen it somewhere in the GD forum from a fellow member but I cannot recall who was he. Anyhow, so that you know the copyrights! OOC2: Did you like it? +rep for the genius behind this consular report! Pleaaaaaaseeee....
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

ooc: Very nice! I enjoy the style, it was a thorough and interesting read. +rep

ic: Quintus Marius examines the map and says:
    I don't understand why the 2nd legion can not take Agrigentum perfectly easily since Syracusan power and morale is probably rock bottom there. So instead of us having to send reinforcements, why not just take the town, then draw recruits from there?

Caius Cassius(my NPC) stood and answered to Marius Parthicus:

"Because the second legion is pushed to its limits. The town can very well fall to Roman hands but it will be ages before we can retrain the men in Sicily. There's no proper infrastructure to train legionaries there and Lepidus can attest to that. So, instead of having the soldiers there, let us bring them home safely where there can retrain and re-equip. Let those men see their families and friends -- staying in Sicily will only bring their imminent death, nothing more."

Quintus Marius spends a little time thinking about it, them stands up again:

In that case, I suppose we could recall them, but I think we should only send back the units that are depleted by a certain amount e.g. a quarter or more. Otherwise, the Syracusans may be tempted to draw up reinforcements from Lilybauem or from the city that we have no information about at the moment. Then they might sally out, with outside aid, and then we would be in a bigger dilemma.
    So I agree, send some troops back to meet their wives and children, and to relax after a hard year of work in Sicily. But keep enough men their to maintain the siege without much difficulty.

"Let me be clear on this; the Consul intends to capture Agrigentum first and then retreat the second consular legion. This will ensure that both the will of the Senate is done and the retreat is danger-free for the men of Mamercus."

Labienus listens to this while his heart slowly gives in.
    Little does the old man realise that his time in these great halls is nearing its end.
    He stands upright with his right hand clutching at his toga.
    The left he raises to the junior consul asking to speak.

'The consul wants more men? I understand why but I have not supported this war from the start. Is this what the people want? Is this what Rome wants?'

OOC: I have not seen so many people viewing the records in a while .... 7 and counting!
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; March 11, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Voice Chat @ Discord

"Labienus it is imperative that we sent replacements for the second legion. The Consul does not wish more men -- he wishes to protect the battle weary men of Legio II."

Caius Cassius, I have spoke to the consul regarding losses of men to enemy lines and he knows how I feel. I will support his motion for the replacement of the lost men however every one of those being sent will be his sole responsibilty and it is him I will hold accountable should they fall in battle.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Of course it is the Consul's responsibility to use his men properly, and though he is an Optimate, I have to say he is still a loyal Roman to protect his fellow citizens as much as possible, though still winning the battle.

"The Consul is fully aware of this, Labienus; He will do his best to get back home as many of the soldiers of Rome as he is able."

OOC: I will log out for a couple of hours; if you need me anything, PM me!

'Well as long as he is aware.'

Labienus motions to the consul through a simple gesture he is done.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Marcus Lucretius Falco looks at the map, then at his fellow senators: "I believe the noble consul is acting in the best interest of the republic if he acts out his proposal. If he captures Agrigentum, and then withdraws the IInd legion to recuperate, there is still the Ist legion to maintain the captured territory. However, until the IInd can return I advise the consul not to attack with the Ist"
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Marcus Valerius thinks about how he's going to word his next statement. He wants to propose that the legion in Corsica should be sent to Sicily while the Second Legion is sent back to retrain and replenish their ranks. However, he was against sending troops to Sicily in the previous consulate. If he is all of a sudden in favor of reinforcements, it would seem very suspicious...

"I say that the Second Legion should be able to refit in Italy while another legion takes up its place in Sicily. If we keep the Second Legion in hostile territory, it may be attacked by a large force from the Northern part of the island and it would be completely destroyed. If we sent the legion back to Italy for retraining, the legion would later be able to combat large enemy armies with much more efficiency.

I don't, however, support levying a whole new legion. We have ample men to fight; they just aren't all in Sicily. Since the inhabitants of Corsica are loyal to us, I propose that the legion stationed there should be moved to Sicily to take the Second Legion's place for awhile. Who agrees with this?"
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; March 11, 2008 at 03:02 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Senators, not long ago I had spies roaming the entirity of that island, and there was no significant enemy presence at the time of my departure."

"I do find it rather curious that some here are in favor of sending the new Consul reinforcements when my repeated requests were denied and decried as cowardice by those same men..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast