Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Armour Pictures! Post yours or other's!

Default Re: Armour Pictures! Post yours or other's!

Ah Dermeister I had misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking if both blades could break at the same time, which I don't know and I'm not sure how to find out. If you are asking can one katana cut straight through another katana and into an opponent at the same time, then yes, though you would probably chip or scrape your own katana while doing so. There are some schools of kenjutsu (not to be confused with kendo, which is the sport variant of swordmenship) that focus entirely on breaking an opponents blade.

Ah and thanks Taneda, and yes I agree

ohh i see i bet a nodachi couled simply destroy a normal katana ! and any 1 know of a style tat dual weilds katanas? or is it pure fantasy and romanticised?

Well according to legend which most historians believe to be true, musashi did indeed dual wield. He is one of the most famous and celebrated Japanese warriors of legend, and there have been various attempts to immitate his style over the years so yes dual wielding did exist. Whether it is effective or not is debated, as musashi was an exceptional fighter, period.

Oh also, there was a sword style from Satsuma (I forgot what it was called, Jingen-ryu perhaps?) famous for breaking swords. As you may recall from Shogun Total War, Satsuma is also associated with the No Dachi, so there may be a direct connection there. Regardless, the style was known for slow but powerful overhead swings that would often break through the opponents katana and cut them down. Brutal but effective
    Last edited by Hayami Kagemusha; April 04, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

yea if the defence in samurai case .. the sword sicne theyr armor couled prolly not stop a katana... i dont know why they bothered wearign an armor? arrows? hand to hand? the intimidation factor?

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

If you test a good Katana in good conditions, it passes the armour easily, but Katanas weren't favoured combat weapons, those were the Yari and Yumi, and a batte is never the ideal condition for trying fancy katana-trough-armour techniques.
    And isnt the dual sword technique called ninto or something like that? I've seen some practice it at kendo, and as HK said, I know Musashi was known to practice it, but it's another thing to use it in battle!
    Last edited by Wundai; April 06, 2008 at 05:46 AM.

mr tanko's Avatar Foederatus

Icon7 Re: Armour Pictures! Post yours or other's!

i will post pictures of my swords and spears soon have a look at this lot in the mean time http://www.armourarchive.org/way_of_japanese_warrior/
    Last edited by mr tanko; April 06, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Brussel? Wow that's not very far away, I think I'll visit it some time in the very near future

You have to know that the armor and weapons collection is moved to another building than the japanese tower. It is now in a building behind the chinese pavillon, named the museum for japanese arts. In the tower there are now mostly ceramics.
    Take a look to the official website: http://www.kmkg-mrah.be/newnl/index.asp?id=1738

We've got a whole BeNeLux dreamteam gathering around here! Surprising, Cheers neighbours!

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

heres an interesting japanese armor

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

This is a nanban-dô("stranger-armor"). It became very popular in the last years of the Sengoku-jidai. The first made used european armors and were japonized, i.e.:adding kusazuri, sode, kote and shikoro on the helmet. But the iron used in europe was of lesser quality than that in Japan, so the blacksmiths made their own in the form of european armors to please their customers.
    Personnally i don't like this kind of armor.

Quote Originally Posted by furinkazan View Post
    This is a nanban-dô("stranger-armor"). It became very popular in the last years of the Sengoku-jidai. The first made used european armors and were japonized, i.e.:adding kusazuri, sode, kote and shikoro on the helmet. But the iron used in europe was of lesser quality than that in Japan, so the blacksmiths made their own in the form of european armors to please their customers.
    Personnally i don't like this kind of armor.
    me neither if ur gunan go europe armor go full out but if u gunna go japanese.. then dont mix both i like japanses armor.. and euro but please ohh lord dear god dont alow it to be combined together >_<! it ruins both of em >_<!

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

European armor combined with Japanese? Didn't the Oda clan's 'MAIN MAN' Nobunaga wear this kind of Armor? (Please WTFM Don't threaten me with your Youtube Video's )

Not certain about Oda Nobunaga, but Tokugawa Ieyasu wore such armor at the battle of Sekigahara.

OMG!! Don't you know your classics??

who cares what they wore then they just looked silleh !

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Lol here comes Dermeister cutting to the heart of the matter

I agree mate, I totally agree

lol hey i speak my mind O_O! they just looked silly ... well the mixed armors.. altho for hisorical perpous who cares what they looked like ! it works both ways for taste.. i dotn care about history.. but for history i dont care abotu taste ... if uwanan be accurate ugotta sacrafice the romantic side somtimes... or find a good balance so that people are attracted.. yet its mostly acurate..

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

You don't care about history? Auch can't agree with you there then

i dint say i dint care about history.. i sayed when it comes to makign somthing look good...i dont care about history.. but when makign somthign historicly accurate... then i dont care about looks O_O!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast