Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings / Deus Vult - worth it?

Default Crusader Kings / Deus Vult - worth it?

I only found out about Crusader Kings and Deus Vult yesterday, but I can't find anywhere that sells it. A lot of online retailers have the game listed (Amazon and Tesco Direct, for example), but none have it in stock. The only place I could find them is Paradoxplaza. I just wanted to know whether Crusader Kings and Deus Vult are really worth 15 Euros each? I have never played any of the EU games, so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Crusader Kings / Deus Vult - worth it?

I didn't really like it too much, but a lot of members here like it. John I Tzimisces likes it, I'm pretty sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Like EU ,but for guys who like Medieval period
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

The main emphasis of CK + DV is role playing a medieval dynasty, this makes the game very unique. It's quite complex and includes lots of depth and micromanagment. It's also the Paradox game that sold the most copies, if that means anything.

CK + DV is a true masterpiece, but it has some flaws. However, if you get the current beta patch and some improvement mods you'll be fine.

I say you should get it. As far as I know, it's a download-only product. You'll find it on gamersgate.

Well, I actually found an online retailer that sold Crusader Kings (not download only) for £6.99 so, of course, I snapped it up. I recieved an order confirmation e-mail, but when I checked the website today, CK was listed as 'out of stock'. So, I'm not sure whether I got the very last copy or I've simply alerted the retailer to the lack of stock. I think I'll give it a day and then send them an e-mail enquiry.

Why is this game so hard to find? Has Paradox stopped production? I know I can download it, but I'm a bit old fashioned in the sense that I'd rather own a 'physical' copy of the game (especially as it's half the price of the download).

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

CK+DV is a excellent game and I highly recommend it if you like RPGing to go along with strategy.
    Unlike EU your goal isn't to run a country, it's to run a dynasty.
    You have to make sure that your kids(well makes sure that you get kids first I guess) will inherit and keep things going.
    It's alot of fun when you learn how things work.

I like the sound of it, as I love the sound of the roleplay element. After doing some research, it seems as if CK is a bit tedious without the DV add-on, so I'll definately download that. This may seem a little tight-fisted to some but I'm just a little apprehensive about spending 30 Euros (£22.86?) on a game that I could hate.

On a quick aside, I also purchased EU3 - Collector's Edition for £11.99. Never played it before, so I hope it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Leo View Post
    I like the sound of it, as I love the sound of the roleplay element. After doing some research, it seems as if CK is a bit tedious without the DV add-on,
    Unfortunately yes.
    Don't get me wrong, CK is a good game without DV but it lacks quite alot of events that help shape your family, less user friendly and more.
    I have stated in the past that CK is a rough diamond, a great game just begging to be let out and DV makes the diamond alot more polished.

It turns out that I did, in fact, get the very last copy! I'll let you know what I think when I get to play it. Thanks for everyone's advice, by the way!

CK+DV ??
    If that's the case then awesome
    Just let us know if you have any questions.

How do you recruit armies? Or do each of your provinces just get an assigned military?

Also, what mods allow the user to play as a Muslim or Pagan? I want to lead Mesopotamia to glory .
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence of Arabia View Post
    How do you recruit armies? Or do each of your provinces just get an assigned military?
    You can't. CK has standing armies that are based on how rich the province is.
    Rich province= bigger army.
    That's why I always make sure that I have direct control over the rich provinces. My counts gets the poor ones.
    That way, if the counts rebel I will smash them down easy.
    Also if I go to war, It won't matter if my counts won't use their armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence of Arabia View Post
    Also, what mods allow the user to play as a Muslim or Pagan? I want to lead Mesopotamia to glory .
    Can't remember but I remember they were quite buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Can't remember but I remember they were quite buggy.
    It sucks that the only Arab state I can play functionally is Nubia. Even then, it is extremely boring since the only country you border is Egypt. No possibility to expand there. I've so far sat around for 15 years and Egypt actually offered an alliance to me. Of course I accepted. I still don't have any weak neighbors to take advantage of.

I like the roleplaying aspect a lot; I try to be as chivalrous as possible. I don't tax the peasants when they have an abundance of wealth, I don't cheat on my wife, and I forgive insults from my much stronger neighbor. (Not so much of a choice there)

I just wish I could play as a Sheikh, but that would require me to go back to CK 1.5, and I heard CK is far worse without DV.

I remember playing some Baltic chieftain-there's a mod for Pagan and Mulslim factions .Search their site.

CK+DV ??
    If that's the case then awesome :original:
    Yeah, CK. Deus Vult is download only, think. :hmmm: ...or is it..? The mystery unfolds...

EDIT: Mystery solved. Yes it is.

Just let us know if you have any questions.
    Thanks! I'm sure the game will be daunting to me, so I'll probably be back here with some n00b (!!1!) questions!
    Last edited by Emperor Leo; March 13, 2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Mystery...solved!

Definitely DV is only downloadable - I've red a discussion on forum about it

Quote Originally Posted by Edelward View Post
    I remember playing some Baltic chieftain-there's a mod for Pagan and Mulslim factions .Search their site.
    Doesn't work for DV, it crashes. They say it works for the 1066 campaign, but my game still crashed a year in a half in and I couldn't reload a save game as a Muslim.

It is for CK -you can post questions if creator have plans for DV compatible edition.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Leo View Post
    I just wanted to know whether Crusader Kings and Deus Vult are really worth 15 Euros each? I have never played any of the EU games, so I'm not quite sure what to expect.
    I would wait for "Europa Universalis: Rome" which is going to be released around April 14th.
    What the best game of brand is, is of course subjective, though "Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday" (eventuell with the addon pack Armagedon) has a good AI performence. EU3 (+addon Napoleon's Ambition) is if played with mods excellent, too. I haven't played Crusader Kings DV until now, so I have no idea. CK alone was interesting. The roleplay element and the tech-tree was unfortunately not really my thing. But as I have said, such is just subjective. You can observe that Paradox has improved their products from generation to generation so far and the customer support (patches, addons) is among the best in the branch.
    Last edited by Blau&Gruen; March 13, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

I would wait for "Europa Universalis: Rome" which is going to be released around April 14th.
    What the best game of brand is, is of course subjective, though "Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday" (eventuell with the addon pack Armagedon) has a good AI performence. EU3 (+addon Napoleon's Ambition) is if played with mods excellent, too. I haven't played Crusader Kings DV until now, so I have no idea. CK alone was interesting. The roleplay element and the tech-tree was unfortunately not really my thing. But as I have said, such is just subjective. You can observe that Paradox has improved their products from generation to generation so far and the customer support (patches, addons) is among the best in the branch.
    Thanks for the info. I will definately be getting EU: Rome (April 18th in UK). Like I said, I've got EUIII and CK on order, so I'll let you know what I think. From what I've researched, Paradox do seem to be quite dedicated to their games (i.e. CK getting an overhaul expansion three years after the original is released). Unfortunately, Hearts of Iron is set in a time period that I can't seem to get into. Maybe in time, I'll give it a go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast