Lost in Transition (aka LiT)

March 8, 2008

Table of Contents

General

Introduction and Other Necessary Evils

The Stories

The Old Men

Campaign Notes

Last edited by Lost In Transition; March 10, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
    Lost In Transition

Still trying to find my place in the world . . .

Default Re: Legions - An Roman AAR (of sorts) by LiT

Legions

A Roman AAR (of sorts) by LiT

Introduction

For a long time now, I’ve wanted to do a full scale AAR for Roma Surrectum. Time commitments, other writing responsibilities, waiting for this update or that fix all contributed to me procrastinating the start of this AAR. Then yesterday Psuedoceasar posted one of those beautiful Roman shields Pacco had created and I found myself saying: "You know, I could just wait until those become available . . ."

But I decided to stop procrastinating and start writing.

So last night I started a new Roman campaign. And this will be the story . . .

Settings

Before starting this campaign, I did a clean install of RS. Despite the temptation to mod the game so that Gaul is stronger (I’m truly afraid there will be no Gaul for my legions to fight), the only modifications I have made in the RS 1.5a install are:

(1) I modded out the Roman campaign map UI because it hurts my eyes. I have bad vision (blame it on too much reading . . .)

(2) I modded out the default RS skies.

Everything else is "vanilla" RS 1.5a.

Battle Map Difficulty: Hard

Campaign Map Difficulty: Hard

Unit Size: Large (120 Hastati)

Recruitment: 0 turn

House Rules

I could go on and on about house rules, but most of them will become clear as I play through the campaign. For starters, these are some my basic (and probably obvious) house rules:

Governors: Within ten years of the start of the campaign (or by the summer of 483 B.C.) every city will have a governor and every occupied settlement will be required to have a governor before the occupying army can leave.

Spies: Spies will be used as scouts, not to allow armies to attack cities with open gates.

Ships: I cannot view a ship before attacking it (trying to ships with armies). However, I can protect my shipping lanes by attacking ships that close to my shores.

Ancillaries: I’m struggling with this one. I’m not sure what I will do. I tend to favor trading them, but I can see how this is a bit of an advantage. If someone has a house rule they want to suggest, I’ll consider it.

Conquered settlements: When I take a city or settlement, I will destroy all the buildings in the settlement that I can. This serves two purposes: (1) it slows down the game and (2) it replicates the natural reluctance on the part of the citizens to serve their conquerors. Granted this will give me more money and will get ride of some of the cultural penalty, but the trade off in difficulty of recruiting and retraining troops is far greater, in my opinion.

Those are my general house rules. As I said, others will become clear and, in the meantime, I’m open to suggestions.

Legion Rules

The following are my legion rules (they have the effect, in my game, of being imposed by Roman law):

Every legion is commanded by two generals: one of horse and the other of infantry. Command is awarded by the Senate (by the random selection that occurs in the game). Generals serve until they are 45 at which time they may apply for a position as a governor. If there is no governor position available, they are required to continue serving until retirement (at 60). At this time, they can return to the city of their birth and collect a pension.

Governors are retired generals and serve until 65 or death. If a governor breaches the trust imposed upon him by his appointment, he may be removed from office and executed in the traditional Roman fashion (in my game): he and his bodyguards will forced to charge into an enemy line. If he lives, he will be transported to a prison outside Rome. If he dies . . . problem solved.

In 473 B.C. Rome has four legions. Any further legions can only be recruited with the permission of the Senate and only during a time of crisis. So, if Syracuse attacks Neopolis and the Senate determines there is insufficient legions to defend Roman land, then a new legion can be recruited.

Once recruited, a legion cannot be disbanded — not even by Senate dictate. The reason here is actually political: in the future, when a soldier is recruited to the legion with the promise of land, then it becomes patently unfair for the senate to use them in battle but then disband them without giving them their promised reward. To me, it just seems logical that once a legion is created and the promise of service is exchanged for the promise of land or payment, then the contract, and the legion, remains in force. Hence, the Senate is very reluctant to raise legions.

The pre-Imperial legions are made up as follows:

1 General (Tribune)
    1 General (Legate)
    5 Hastati
    5 Principes
    2 Triarii
    4 Velites
    2 Equites

The VE Legions will be made up as follows:

1 General (Tribune)
    1 General (Legate)
    1 First Cohort
    9 Standard Cohorts
    2 Triarii
    4 Veites
    2 Equites

At recruitment, the Imperial and Caesarean legions will be made up as follows:

1 General (Tribune)
    1 General (Legate)
    1 First Cohort
    9 Standard Cohorts
    4 Light Infantry Auxilia
    2 Archers (when they become available)
    2 Cavalry units

Each Imperial or Caesarean legion will be supported by at least an Auxilia legion:

1 General (Legate)
    8 Cohorts Auxilia spearmen
    4 Light Infantry Auxilia (matching those in the imperial legion)
    2 Archers (matching those in the imperial legion)
    2 Cavalry units (matching those in the imperial legion)
    In previous campaigns, I’ve not fought with Auxilia units. In this campaign, I may change my mind. Primarily, they are their to provide reinforcements for the Imperial and Caesarean legions.
    Other legion rules will become clear as I play the campaign

Writing Style and Updates

Updates will occur as I can post them. I’ll try to post something every week or so, as time permits, but it will depend upon my time commitments, etc.
    The style of this AAR will be more of a freestyle, allowing me to experiment with some writing styles I do not normally get to use. It will be fiction and in the form of short stories or vignettes, connected together by brief historic updates (think Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicles). This will be easier on me, and allow for more independent experimentation than a blow by blow account of the entire campaign.

In addition, I will post periodic commentary on the actual game campaign: what I’m doing right, what I’m doing wrong, what’s working for me, what’s not.

I have reserved the first post in this thread for a table of contents.

That’s it for now . . . I’ll add some images and post more tonight.

Click HERE to return to Table of Contents.
    Last edited by Lost In Transition; March 07, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Lost In Transition

Psuedoceasar posted roman shields, were? Good luck with this, it will be intressting to see what you come up with.

Roma surrectum, the only real rtw experience

Quote Originally Posted by SNIGEL View Post
    Psuedoceasar posted roman shields, were? Good luck with this, it will be intressting to see what you come up with.
    He posted one roman shield; I believe you've already seen it. It's for Germanica First.
    Lost In Transition

Oh that one, i thought you meant all of them. But that shield does looks stunning. Now back on topic, can´t wait for this AAR to start

Roma surrectum, the only real rtw experience

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

This is one AAR I am very much looking forward to. I had better stock up on Earl Grey tea forthwith.

If a governor breaches the trust imposed upon him by his appointment, he may be removed from office and executed in the traditional Roman fashion (in my game): he and his bodyguards will forced to charge into an enemy line. If he lives, he will be transported to a prison outside Rome. If he dies . . . problem solved.
    I like that rule .
    At least not being send off on a leaky boat to an unknown destiny like my generals. Or build and live in a fort in hostile terratory.
    Last edited by William the Silent; March 07, 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: Legions - A Roman AAR (of sorts) by LiT

Early Summer, 478 AUC
    City of Cannae on the Italian Peninsula

The Old Men

They come to formation and rank with an ease that speaks of years spent on parade grounds and drill fields. Shields and armor glisten in the bright sunlight; the points of spears are white fire. Gray hair is hidden beneath the finest helmets in the legion. Scars and disfigurements speak of battles won and lost. Faces — lined and darkened by years of exposure to the wind and the sun — have long ago lost the need to express hope or fear.

They are the triarii. They are the old men.

By fate or fortune, these men have outlived their comrades and, thus, earned a place of honor on the battlefield. Here they stand at the ready, holding their positions beneath the brilliant Italian sun, waiting and watching as first the hastati and then the principes engage the enemy. Here they stand until called upon to fight for Rome once more.

They have seen so many men die in such a variety of places and under such a variety of circumstances that they have earned the privilege of enduring this long and terrible with wait with patience and the gnawing hope that the younger men might carry this battle on this day.

The old men. The sounds of battle, the crash of sword against shield, the screams of the wounded and the dying — these are the sounds that drift past them, carried on the sweet, warm summer breeze. And still they stand at the ready. They wait, hoping.

If the young men cannot carry this day, they will be called to fight. They are the old men. They will carry the day or die.

In the final moments of their lives, what glory to these old men receive?

Triarii holding the line at the Battle of Cannae
    Last edited by Lost In Transition; March 10, 2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Lost In Transition

frankus's Avatar Civis

wooow very nice! +rep

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Very nice
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

A great start!

Fantastic! Looking forward to more!

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed