Thread: First Thoughts on Playing the Campaign (Russian version)

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Default First Thoughts on Playing the Campaign (Russian version)

Well, I couldn't wait for the English translation to come out, so I downloaded the Russian-language full campaign. My first impression is that it is absolutely awesome! The music, the campaign map, the UI, the new units, the sense of atmosphere - it all combines to be extremely enjoyable indeed, and I can really appreciate all the effort that must have gone into it. I do have a few points of helpful criticism:

1. The kill rate seems quite high. I sent my Moldavian spearmen into battle (and admittedly they are quite rubbish troops anyway) and they were butchered and fleeing for their lives within moments of approaching the enemy. I would prefer longer battles with higher morale.

2. A limited area of recruitment system would be quite nice. I played as Moldavia, and they have quite a limited selection of troops who really aren't very good. It would be nice, once I have conquered new parts of the map, to get access to other factions' soldiers as well to add variety.

3. The smoke on the battlefield sends my frame rate plummeting and makes the battles go a lot more slowly. Is there any way of reducing the amount of smoke produced by the guns?

4. I've noticed that the movement distances for armies on the campaign map is extremely large to make up for the fact that there are only 2 turns in a year. Perhaps you could implement a 4 turns per year script so that the movement distances could be reduced? At the moment it is too easy to outmanoeuvre the AI on a strategic level.

5. I noticed that you simplified the building tree quite a lot. On the whole I like this, although I enjoyed the old differentiation between different types of roads.

6. I think that perhaps there are too many settlements on the campaign map. It makes it extremely difficult to manage things (especially for Moscow and the Ottomans who start off with enormous empires) and means that most of the battles are sieges, not field encounters. It's not a big deal, but I would prefer it if there weren't quite so many cities.

That is all that I can think of right now. I must say again, this is an extremely enjoyable mod, and I can't wait for the English version. I've managed to muddle my way through so far (I can read Greek and so am just about able to make out what the Cyrillic letters say), but it is very difficult. With a few extra tweaks I feel that this could be a truly sublime mod.

Default Re: First Thoughts on Playing the Campaign (Russian version)

There are new buildings on the battlemap ?

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Not at the moment, no.

SHREDDER's Avatar Creator CoW, TATW, WF&S

Architecture partly (at home, temples, markets, palaces) will be together with English localization
    3Dmodeller for Call of Warhammer Third Age With Fire and Sword 2 Hetmanat

Bes
    t Ukrainian site and forum Sich TotalWarS totalwar.fun/board/

One or two other comments.

1. The religion icons on settlements on the stratmap seem to be bugged - often they appear at random, and sometimes they are just blurred. It would be nice to have an Orthodox cross, a Latin cross, a crescent moon etc.

2. I'm sure that it's just the basic AI of RTW-BI (and probably not anything that the modders can change), but everyone always seems to hate me. Playing as Wallachia the Ottoman Empire declared war on me in the third turn of the game. I managed to beat them back, and then the Hapsburgs declared war on me as well. Meanwhile all my other allies broke their treaties with me. I can't take everyone on!

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

This time period saw great tumult for all factions involved,and rarely could it be said that there was a true and lasting peace between any of the countries,for as the political winds did change so did the sentiments of the one time allies towards one another as great ambitions rose in the hearts of the rulers of all lands sparking wars that ravaged the baltic lands for many years.I think the constant state of war is to reflect this awful truth of war.

I think it's just the AI being silly and ganging-up on the human player. I can understand tumult, but having everyone declare war on you the moment their nation borders yours is just ridiculous.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Hmmm..yes,in retrospect...point taken...There are a good few mods out there that avoid this issue,so I am thinking that it was intentional manipulation on the side of the mod team for one reason or another,I could be mistaken though.Never looked at it myself,but is there a file like can be found in Medieval 2 that dictates faction standings?