Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: historical portraits for 58BC

Default Re: historical portraits for 58BC

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    You are doing an amazing work. What about making this for all of the Emperors?
    Tiberius, Caligola, Nero, Vespasian, Domitianus, Tito, Hadrian, Trajan etc
    theese are mods for post marian reform just the start of the empire and the the only emperor could only be caesar then i don't think is necesary

Ah ok.

Well, the original scope of the FRRE project reached until Hadrian and some of the envisioned mods were The conquest of Britain by Claudius or The Year of the Four Emperors.

So, after Marius vs. Sulla, which I am already working in, perhaps the later might have some chance of being developed.

What did Caesar mount usually? was it a black Horse or a conventional white one? historically?
    Apologies for the late reply but I have been away for a couple of weeks

He rode a remarkable horse, too, with feet that were almost human; for its hoofs were cloven in such a way as to look like toes. This horse was foaled on his own place, and since the soothsayers had declared that it foretold the rule of the world for its master, he reared it with the greatest care, and was the first to mount it, for it would endure no other rider. Afterwards, too, he dedicated a statue of it before the temple of Venus Genetrix.

Suetonius: Divus Iulius 61

This is the most notable ancient reference to Caesar's horse and as observed by Maria Wyke in Caesar: A Life in Western Culture the passage seems to recall the characteristics of Bucephalus, the wild horse tamed by Alexander, which provided that hero too with an oracle predicting world empire

Unfortunately there is no mention about the colouring of the horse

I can't claim to have thoroughly checked all the key source material. However I'm pretty sure no definitive statements exist that would answer your question.

Of course, if I stumble across something I will let you know....

Well, either black or white the horse would've been magnificent.
    I was thinking of applying pinarius to 77bc and 58 bc, just to add a more interesting look when taking screeenies.. really, its because of the bridles.

I agree with you, I think that Pinarius' horses look great...as you already know, mate

Caesar Triumphant

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

I found one for Gaius Cassius Longinus. It's not historical per se, but it retains the Shakespearean "thin and hungry look", don't you think?

The picture:

Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

thin and hungry look
    it sure does
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Is there any way I can add these portraits to character I have spawned by script? I don't want to over write anything I just want to add them to specific characters?

Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of. Perhaps looking at the portrait that the game assigns when spawning the character and then overwriting the portraits in the UI folder might work. But I doubt it.

Where's L7c?
    I know that 58 bc mod is done and there's already good portraits in it....
    But I wonder if he could do this just for the sake of art.... cause it looks great....

M2TW script has option which assign special portrait for spawned character.
    In RTW, Only ALX engine has scripts that treat custom portrait, but I remenber not for spawned character.

How do you install the new portraits? Filefront says the files are down. Is there a way to install the images manually?

Fireward77's Avatar Civis

Would it be possible for someone who has all of the portraits to upload them as a add-on for 58 BC?

I probably have all of them, but spread amongst all my projects. So it will require some time, but I will do it sooner or later.

Fireward77's Avatar Civis

Thanks, take your time!

Thanks to Florin80, who supplied the missing ones (Catuvellaunos, Ambiorix and Octavius), here you have the full pack.

Also many thanks to Kozak and L7c.
    Last edited by Salvor Hardin; February 23, 2010 at 01:29 AM.