Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great War: 1862

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Default The Great War: 1862

Use this thread to sign up for my RP, the Great War: 1861. It combines the strategy of army command, right down to the tactics of regimental command, with character-based RPGing. This is an alternate history RP in which players take command of military units from regiments to armies during the American Civil War. However, in this history, the British join the Union side after the Battle of Antietam and the Emancipation Proclamation. In response to their actions, several other European powers come into the fray. Prussia joins the Union side with Britain, while France and Russia side with the Confederacy. Players play as officers in any of these six armies in the Eastern Theatre of the Civil War. The European armies are named after the areas in which their corps are based before being sent to wherever they are needed. Due to logistics, neither the Union nor the Confederacy can mass all their European allies and their own armies in one place at a single time, instead the European corps are sent where they are needed and attached to any given American general as required.

Army of the Potomac - The Union, 114,000 men, General Ambrose Burnside commanding
    Army of Northern Virginia - The Confederacy, 72,000 men, General Robert E. Lee commanding
    Army of Upper Canada - The British Empire, 70,000 men, General William Clive commanding
    Army of New Orleans - The Second French Empire, 84,000 men, Louis-Phillipe, Comte d'Ornais and Marshal of France commanding
    Army of Pennsylvania - Prussia, 66,000 men, Feldmarshall Franz Wilhelm commanding
    Army of the Carolinas. - Russia, 100,000 men, General Mikhail Novarov commanding

Our first battle is Fredericksburg. Currently, only a single corps of each European army has landed in the Americas. The British have two corps, the French have three, the Prussians have two and the Russians have four. Here is our battleground:

The British divisions will be engaged in attacking Marye's Heights alongside Hooker and Sumner's divisions. The Heights are defended by Confederate and French troops. The Prussian corps will be reinforcing Franklin on the Union right, attacking Jackson's position near the Hamilton Crossing, against the Russians and Confederates. Joint Union-British-Prussian divisions will also be pushing against the center, General Hood's sector of the battlefield, in an attempt to split open the Confederate lines and drive a wedge between Longstreet and Jackson. Here's the numbers for the two armies right now.

Union Allied Numbers:
    182,000 soldiers. The Army of the Potomac with the addition of 35,000 British and 33,000 Prussians.

Confederate Allied Numbers.
    125,000 soldiers. The Army of Northern Virginia with the addition of 25,000 Russians and 28,000 French.

So, you're allowed two characters each. Post them in this format (my characters as an example:

Name: James Burgoyne
    Nationality: British
    Rank and Posting: Lieutenant-General of the I Corps, Army of Upper Canada
    Military Experience: 12 years in the army, working his way from colonel up to his current general rank. Served in the Crimean War
    Command Style: Calm, cool and controlled, prefers the defensive but can be very audacious and aggressive when needed. Never panics in battle

Name: Isaac Wolfe
    Nationality: British
    Rank and Posting: Brigadier, Foot Guards Brigade (battalions from the Scots, Welsh, Coldstream and Grenadier Guards), Army of Upper Canada
    Military Experience: A decade of military service, including battles in the Crimea
    Command Style: Stubborn and stalwart, very defensive. You give Wolfe a hill and you will die of old age before you dislodge him. But also very brave, a very good man to draw sword and lead the charge.

Interested anyone?
    Last edited by Eric; March 05, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Re: The Great War: 1862

One quick thing, but Russia supported the North...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Hmmm, well I would thought that when Britain throws their support to the Union (after Antietam and the Emancipation Proclamation), Russia, still an enemy and rival to Britain from the Crimean War, would side with the Confederacy in opposition of Britain.

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Naa... the Russian Czar was a friend of Lincoln, even offered some naval ships to the Union.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

So should I switch around Prussia and Russia? Prussians for the Confederacy and Russia for the Union?

Also, what about naval operations? There were some very interesting ships of the time, especially the belt-and-battery Ironclads like Le Gloire, HMS Warrior and the CSS Virginia.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Actually they would probably both be more for the Union, considering that Prussia had chosen to stay out of the Crimean war as well as still not forgiving france for Napoleon, and RUssia would definatley support the Union because of the Crimean war.
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Yes but, in this reality, Britain is on the Union's side because of their anti-slavery sentiments and the Union's Emancipation Proclamation. We can't leave the Union with three European allies and the Confederacy with one. Either Prussia or Russia must be on the Southern side.

Oh sorry didn't realize the UK was with the North.

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?

Yeah, Great Britain had been a staunchly abolitionist empire since 1807, and, in this alternate history, casts it's lot in with the Union after Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.

Hmm tricky indeed, which would Ruussia hate more the guys who get to claim to be the christian protector of Jjerusalum or the Guys who lead the Crimean campaign?

Simple truths

Well, until we can think of a suitable alternative, the factions stay the same. Other players?

Actually I was going to suggest Russia and Prussia vs France and the UK but then theres the problem of how they would get to Amrica with Gibralter and the North Sea.

Sorry when it comes to Alternate history I always think to much.

Simple truths

Well how powerful were Spain in this era, were they powerful enough to make a contribution for the confederates for political reasons like gaining confederate areas if they won. Perhaps adding them instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljan Arslan View Post
    Actually I was going to suggest Russia and Prussia vs France and the UK but then theres the problem of how they would get to Amrica with Gibralter and the North Sea.

Sorry when it comes to Alternate history I always think to much.
    They didn't...

They sailed accross the Pacific and landed in California.

can i play as confedrates

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Me!! I want to join! I love the Civil War it's like all I study in History! Please I want to be in the confederacy so I can make JEB Stuart destroy the North again!! WHAHAHA

The South can never be put down, cause we ARE America!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    They didn't...

They sailed accross the Pacific and landed in California.
    There was a Russian Fleet in New York Harbor I seem to remember.

Army of the Potomac - The Union, 114,000 men, General Ambrose Burnside commanding
    LOL Burnside is going to have history repeat itself all over him.

Actually Great Britain supported the Confederacy. Why? Cotton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast