Page 13 of 154 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    PS. Did you spot that Bel Rios is modelled on Belisarius?
    No. I didn't. Interesting view.

I even thought about starting a topic on the Trilogy.

1, Initially I thought "how lame is the psycho-history ..counting history" but the plot made it credible a bit. Not as a valid theory, of course, but the plot was sophisticated it gave an atmosphere to the whole thing.

2, Then it made me think...Hegel came into my mind...is there some law of history? Is the fall of empires and civilizations inevitable?

3, Then I compared it with real history. First: Religion as power. (aided by technics) Then technics through commercy. Then the rule of money cripples the Foundation and the great founders vanish. What Foundation could not do, the Mule does, a completly external someone who had no place in the big plot. (At least we think so...)

Then again Foundation rules, but in the reality the Second Foundation controls everything.

It was like a modern middle ages then capitalism, then some postmodernist time....

I have a couple of other observations (homo novi create history always not nobles and dynasties, violence is a misleading force, the role of women grows through history,
    and finally spirit conquers what money and technics can't.)

BTW: should I read the other three foudation books by Asimov? By that other author too? Are they as great as the original, or similar experience?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Regarding Bel Riose etc. Foundation was partly inspired by Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, so we have Trantor representing a Rome that is the administrative centre for the whole Empire, but is utterly dependent on food imports - it even has an hereditary Emperor. The outer Provinces are slowly breaking away into mini-kingdoms, and any successful general is immediately considered a threat by the Emperor (who dare not leave Trantor himself for long for fear of being usurped).

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    ...First: Religion as power. (aided by technics) Then technics through commercy. Then the rule of money cripples the Foundation and the great founders vanish. What Foundation could not do, the Mule does, a completly external someone who had no place in the big plot. (At least we think so...)

Then again Foundation rules, but in the reality the Second Foundation controls everything.

It was like a modern middle ages then capitalism, then some postmodernist time....
    I think this shows just how impressive Asimov is as a synthesist, he spent his whole life sweeping up knowledge and then explaining it to people. Apart from the science fiction, he wrote crime and mystery stories (he loved puzzles), and science essays and general works - including Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare and Asimov's Guide to the Bible! He also lectured (he was a professor of Biochemistry) and even co-wrote a Biochemistry text-book. He has more than 400 published books!

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    ... BTW: should I read the other three foudation books by Asimov? By that other author too? Are they as great as the original, or similar experience?
    I liked the prequels (Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation).

I didn't like the sequels (Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth), but I read them anyway, just to find out where his ideas were leading.

I also very much liked the tribute trilogy, but as I said before Gregory Benford, Greg Bear and David Brin are all favourite authors of mine.
    Last edited by Juvenal; August 16, 2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: sp
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Steel of Fury's Avatar Campidoctor

Close to finishing Napoleon in Egypt by Paul Strathern. Engagingly written and well-documented account of the young Bonaparte's most exotic campaign. Dreaming of conquering the East like his hero Alexander the Great, the ambitious young commander set out with 40,000 men in more than 300 ships to spread his power and French Revolutionary ideals to what many Europeans considered a mysterious and fascinating land. Comprising his army were a group of savants that included experts in the fields of archaeology, history, chemistry, geology, astronomy, etc., who laid the foundation for modern Egyptology. The harrowing account of what the French underwent in a foreign and hostile land is gripping and disturbing to read, and the culture clash between the two different nations is nearly similar to the tale of the Spanish conquest of the Americas, and is proof of the failure of Multiculturalism from over two centuries back. The battles, drama, personal interactions between the characters involved, the fascinating depiction of late-18th Century Egyptian life, etc., show how much of interest occurred in Napoleon's effort and failure to create an empire which he dreamed would cover Africa all the way to India.

Last edited by Steel of Fury; August 16, 2008 at 06:34 AM.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Currently reading:
    The Road - Cormac Mccarthy. Fine book, great minimalist prose, akin to Hemmingway. Soon to be a move with Viggo Mor...Mor.... Aragorn.

Mantrapping - Ragnar Benson.

Bear Went over the Mountain - Soviet tactics in Afganistan.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Years of warfare-Peter englund

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    I liked the prequels (Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation).

I didn't like the sequels (Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth), but I read them anyway, just to find out where his ideas were leading.
    Thanks! I check them out. Yeah I've read Asimov was inspired by Gibbon but his novell is better as literature than Gibbon's work as history...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by Steel of Fury View Post
    Close to finishing Napoleon in Egypt by Paul Strathern. Engagingly written and well-documented account of the young Bonaparte's most exotic campaign. Dreaming of conquering the East like his hero Alexander the Great, the ambitious young commander set out with 40,000 men in more than 300 ships to spread his power and French Revolutionary ideals to what many Europeans considered a mysterious and fascinating land. Comprising his army were a group of savants that included experts in the fields of archaeology, history, chemistry, geology, astronomy, etc., who laid the foundation for modern Egyptology. The harrowing account of what the French underwent in a foreign and hostile land is gripping and disturbing to read, and the culture clash between the two different nations is nearly similar to the tale of the Spanish conquest of the Americas, and is proof of the failure of Multiculturalism from over two centuries back. The battles, drama, personal interactions between the characters involved, the fascinating depiction of late-18th Century Egyptian life, etc., show how much of interest occurred in Napoleon's effort and failure to create an empire which he dreamed would cover Africa all the way to India.

Great Book!

I'm currently reading Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Yes I'm a Whedoknight

and

along with
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Recently finished The Fall of Constantinople: The Ottoman Conquest of Byzantium by David Nicolle, Stephen Turnbull, and John Haldon. One of the titles in Osprey's "General Military" series it covers the background of Byzantium and it's way of war, closing with the campaign that put an end to Constantinople and the last vestige of the Roman Empire. Like all Osprey books it's lavishly illustrated with artwork, images, and maps pertaining to the subject. Good reading while playing Medieval II and Kingdoms.

Last edited by Steel of Fury; December 14, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Synopsis:
    Product Description
    An extraordinary and dramatic depiction of the legendary battle of Agincourt from the number one historical novelist Agincourt, fought on October 25th 1415, on St Crispin's Day, is one of the best known battles, in part through the brilliant depiction of it in Shakespeare's Henry V, in part because it was a brilliant and unexpected English victory and in part because it was the first battle won by the use of the longbow - a weapon developed by the English which enabled them to dominate the European battlefields for the rest of the century. Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt is a vivid, breathtaking and meticulously well researched account of this momentous battle and its aftermath. From the varying viewpoints of nobles, peasants, archers, and horsemen, Azincourt skilfully brings to life the hours of relentless fighting, the desperation of an army crippled by disease and the exceptional bravery of the English soldiers.

It probably comes as no suprise to anyone who saw Bernard Cornwell's glowing comments on the front of Juliet Barker's excellent history book 'Agincourt', that Cornwell turned his attention Henry V's famous, almost miraculous, victory over the French. The problem is how to make such an extraordinarily well known story - thanks to Shakespeare and numerous histories - seem fresh and exciting. Thankfully, we are in the hands of a master at this sort of thing.

His story of Nick Hook, an English longbowman, does more than simply tick the expected boxes. It successfully puts the victory at Agincourt into perspective both politically and socially. It does so by bringing us firmly into the lives of the people. These people realised as properly medieval men and women. Cornwell scores over so many of his competitors by convincing us that these are not simply modern men in fancy dress. Faith in Christianity, for example, and the battle between the heretical Lollard beliefs, common in England at the time, and the Church are woven into the fabric of the story. It will come as no suprise that the battle scenes are strongly and convincingly portrayed.

I always hesitate before giving a five star review, but this is certainly worth it.
    Last edited by Antissa; December 15, 2008 at 07:53 PM.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Sebdeas's Avatar Senator

I am reading about how awesome I am in a book I have read many times before called, Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn. A fantastic book in a fantastic trilogy for those who have not read it.
    Member of S.I.N.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Hĺb

Currently reading: Steinbach, Peter etc.; Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg und der Umsturzversuch vom 20. Juli 1944, Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand, 2007

Shyam reading Watchmen a long time ago
    Good call, I got one just like that in the image. Amazing story, just as good as V for Vendetta.

I'm currently reading Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.
    Awesome book.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

I just finished my 3rd read of

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

I'm currently reading this for the 2nd time.......

Good and interesting books.