Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidvs/Brvtvs (II)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidvs/Brvtvs

You can play your battle now, Winter.
    I just did.

Huge report forthcoming.

EDIT

ooc: Yes, I hired hoplites. I assumed that imperium meant the power to recruit mercenaries. We really should define that better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

OOC: You are right, time for a constitutional amendment maybe? I will back off the hiring business, have no fears! Awaiting the HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE update!!!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Not that huge.

EDIT

Finished pic editing
    Last edited by Winter; March 03, 2008 at 04:56 PM.

"I would like to divert Senate's attention for a while to a constitutional amendment about the powers gained by Imperium. Here's the Lex De Vostro Imperium."

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I'm a little annoyed right now. Right when I was nearing completion of my big report, (I was about to add in the battle statistics screenshot) Firefox decided to basically say "**** You!" and stopped responding. The report that took me about half an hour in editing pictures, 25 in uploading, and 50 in writing; gone. So excuse me if I take a little break right now.

You may or may not see the report here later, I haven't decided if I'm going to come back to it tonight.

thats sad. Anyways you already do enough work so im fine waiting. But is firefox even in yats?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Consul's messenger bursts into the senate. He has clearly been traveling for days on end without much rest.

"I bring word from the Consul in Sicily"

The messenger walks tiredly out to the center of the senate house, and pulls a scroll out of his messenger bag.

"These being the words of the Consul Lucius Aurelius Lepidus."

THE BATTLE OF SICILIA MEDIUS

Senators, I write to you after our first great battle of this campaign. Commander Mamercius of Syracuse lead our understrength Syracuse legions against a half army of seasoned Greek hoplites and heavy cavalry.

Under my orders, Mamercius attacked the Greeks across the bridge he was holding. The Greek commander, seeing that he was outnumbered and not knowing that the army he faced was worn down by battle, fled the field. Unfortunately for him, he chose a very indefensible position to retreat to.

Mamercius elected to strike forward. He engaged the Sicilian commander, Captain Lucius, on a sloping hill. There, the advantage of the elite Sicilian troops would be negated by the hill. Or so Mamercius hoped.

Our forces deployed in the traditional manipular formation, with the general and hoplite mercenaries taking the rear.

The Greeks formed with peltasts in the front, hoplites behind, and the heavy cavalry (not shown) in the rear. The Greek captain chose to fight with the cavalry.

Mamercius knew that he could not risk throwing away his troops when his legion was already so battle-worn. Therefore, he adapted a different strategy. He sent forth the velites along with the hoplites. The velites would run forth, throw their spears, and then retreat behind the hoplite line to re-arm and retreat from enemy counter-charges.

The strategy was a fantastic success. The entire Greek peltast and light infantry battalions were massacred by javelin fire. The heavy hoplites were far too heavy to catch the light peltasts, and the Sicilian general was reluctant to engage his prize cavalry when the hoplites were so close.

Eventually the Greek captain, enraged at the loss of his light troops, finally decided to engage his cavalry. Like before, the velites retreated behind the hoplite wall. The hoplites lowered their spears. And the cavalry did not stop.

The carnage was immediate. Most of the cavalry group was instantly massacred upon the wall of spear points. Those that survived the initial charge were powerless to stop their terrified horses from fleeing the field, including the Greek general. They were pursued by a small group of equites, but to no avail.

The Greek hoplites were unmoved by their commander's departure. Immediately they raised the charge, racing up the hill, straight towards the hoplite line. The hoplites and velites retreated immediatley, behind the Roman lines, and the hastati were ordered into battle. They threw their pila and charged the hoplite groups, engaging them in vicious, bloody, hand to hand combat.

On the Roman left flank, the hastati were losing. This maniple had been worn down the most by the initial invasion of Sicily. Mamercius ordered in the right maniple of principes into battle, recalling the hastati. The principes, hardened veterans all, orderly engaged their opponents, easily forcing them back.

The battle was going well, but Mamercius needed his killing blow. Then he remembered his equites. Mamercius ordered the remaining group of equites to ride wide around the back of the battle, and hit the enemy in the rear.

It was a success. The last Sicilians broke immediatley, fleeing the field. Mamercius let them flee, per my orders that routing troups be allowed to retreat once the battle had ended.

Victory (I missed the main victory screen, sorry)

Mamercius pursued the remains of the army after the battle, hoping they would lead him to another Sicilian army in the area. Instead, they routed back to the large Sicilian city of Agrigento. Mamercius, realizing the only way to capture the district would be to remove the troops from the city, laid siege.

And so, this is the state of our campaign. We are besieging two cities, both of which I hope can be taken soon. Mamercius, being a governor first, general second, has performed admirably.

I cannot stress enough my request that I be sent reinforcements. We do not know what forces our enemy has in Lilybaeum or Panormus, and I feel that we have plenty on Corsica and Sardinia to spare.

With luck, these sieges will not last much longer. Then, its on to Lilybaeum.

Consul L. Aurelius Lepidus

The messenger ceases his recitation and returns to the side of the chamber, leaning against the wall half-asleep.
    Last edited by Winter; March 03, 2008 at 08:43 PM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius stands after hearing this magnificent report:

Congratulations to our Senior Consul for his work in besieging the two cities and his two battles. It seems to be preceding smoothly for him. But battles cost men, and I think it time we sent some troops from one the the islands (Sardinia and/or Corsica) to him so he has more troops to call on.

Brutus, excited by the outcome of the campaign, said to the Senate:

"Two cities we're besieging now? And still no enemy to be seen! I believe I was right with my speculation of the Greek forces. However, since the Consul has decided to attack Agrigentum, I think that the waiting strategy has gone off the window! Nevertheless, I believe that we can gain victory here in 3 years(6 turns) or maybe even less than that. Then we will see peace and finally rejoice!

To the matter of reinforcements, I propose that we sent half the garrison of Caralis to Sicily, where they will be landing near Lilibaeum, in a circular move to break any reinforcements of the enemy to three directions. Does anyone wishes to speak against the motion?"

i would request that a full legion goes out to help. Then even if we already had enough troops in the first place, we will have a launching pad to release that legion into anywhere South- if need be.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I think that a full legion is the better choice, it´s better not risk an long and expensive war.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

we also need a strong fleet. Sometime we need to fight those darn Punics and we have to have a strong navy to even compete with them!

I think we should chose Capua as our main port, where the fleet should be recruited.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Hmmm, well as long as it has good recruiting zone for sailors!

I mean that we should concentrate our naval recruitment into one zone, and as
    Capua lies at an central position may it be our choose for the task.
    Son of Legio

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I agree with our Princeps Senatus. Our main port should be at Capua, and we should focus some of our energy there to make it one of the best ports of the ancient world at the moment.
    As to reinforcements, I don't propose a full legion, but I relatively large sized army (about 12-15 units) complete with a general should be sent to somewhere near Lilybaeum. Then we can launch another attack from the west moving east. And, our consul can get mercenaries along the way if the need arises.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Servius stands and looks to the consul whose excitement after the outcome seem somewhat out of place. He waits for the approval to speak

Consul...
    I fear that this has turned into another theater of war and we will now have another year engaged in battle off the shores of italia.
    This is not the path I am comfortable with.
    It seems this body is only satisfied with its lust for blood.
    Why not just take over the known world while we are at it.
    Senators, this has turned into a fiasco.
    I feel that this august body must my reperations towards these people that we are now at war with.
    Those senators of years gone by put our men into lands that never belonged to Rome and now all we are satisfied with is completely oblitirate this enemy who never wielded a sword against us until now when all they want is their freedom.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: I wish I was in Rome and could respond...

*cough needavoteforreinforcements cough*

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Tribune Corvinus, realizing he has the power to veto, quickly stands to speak:

"Any motion that allows troops from Sardinia to be moved to Lilybaeum will be vetoed. If I'm correct, spies have been trained and until we get information on the remaining amount of soldiers allied with the Kingdom of Syracuse, I will continue to veto this motion. I do not want us to lose lives for no reason."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Sigh...

I'll get right on that then.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast