Thread: Satanae AAR

Default Satanae AAR

Hey everyone,

I have always wanted to do an AAR for EoD since it is my favorite mod for R: TW, and it has always bugged me how it seems like it doesn't get the attention it deserves. This is my first AAR, but I will do my best to make it worthy of such a great mod. Also, I realize my screenshots are huge compared to the ones on other AAR's. I know the larger image size takes much longer to load, so if someone could tell me how to edit it so the photo isn’t as large, that would be very helpful.

--

The campaign starts at 666AD. The forces of Islam and Christianity have been at war with each other for many years over the provinces of the Holy Land. The two sides are locked in a virtual stalemate when the Dark Lords issue a call for the scum of the earth to rally under the banner Satan, and to wage war against the forces of light.

In this AAR, I will be the one that leads them.

--

Such a humble start for the nation that will come to rule the world...

Christianity is the most powerful faith at the start of the campaign...Satanism will soon hold that title...

For my first turn, I move my agents around and build one troop in every city. The next turn I will move most of my garrisons out of their cities and move towards the many pagan settlements. The first stage towards world domination is controlling the Aegean, and the sooner this is done, the better.

I also build ports in all my cities; the armies of darkness could use the extra income.

At the end of my second turn, my heir is on his way to meet up with the garrison from Magog to assault Ancrya. However, the pagans of Acrya get between the two armies before they can combine forces. The pagans can choose to attack either one of the isolated armies...

...they chose to attack my heir, who is only accompanied by two archers.

The battle starts with my heir's Azeal bodyguard between my Verrier Archers and Vampyre Headhunters, who are hidden in the long grass. The Headhunters are on the left, Azeal in the center and Verriers on the right flank. The Headhunters have an AP ability, but lack the long range ability of their M2:TW counterparts.

My Azeal do their best to distract the enemy army and allow my missiles to fire, but after a quick skirmish with the enemy archers, they are forced to retreat from the swarming pagans, who outnumber the forces of darkness by more than 2 : 1.

Here's a screenshot of the Headhunters in action. They lost over half their men once they were surrounded by the bulk of the pagan army while my heir and Verriers were busy routing the rest of the pagans. Luckily, the Headhunters managed to get away from the enemy units and are now firing at them from behind.

The remaining pagans march towards my heir, but their false gods will not protect them from the wrath of the Dark Lords!

My forces surround the pagans and fire their last missiles into the enemy ranks...

The enemy captain gets cocky and decides to charge my Verriers, only to be cut down by the forsaken bodygaurds that are the Azeal!

The pagans then attempt to flee, but no mortal can out-run the steeds of the Dark Lords!

The result is the first victory for the armies of darkness...as well as the first heroic of the campaign!
    Last edited by Augustan; March 02, 2008 at 04:51 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Satanae AAR

Excellent!, I look forward to more..

Screen shots; Two ways of getting round the page stretch. One is to resize them with an image editor (photoshop, or Gimp(which you can DL for free, to 640x480))) .. does Photobucket have an auto re-size optio?..

Or add ''spoiler tags'' to each image; at the start of the url add [spoiler] and at the end add the same with / before the s

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Like so

Welcome to TWC..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 02, 2008 at 05:05 PM.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Woh I wasn't aware that the map of EOD was that detailed,extending to the far east.Great AAR.Btw who had created the map of EOD? :hmmm:
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

General_Zavier's Avatar Civis

What I did for my Albion AAR (see link in my sig) was I used Fraps to take the pictures, and then I used Photobucket to upload them. Photobucket has a link option at the bottom allowing you to put it in clickable thumbnails.

Here's a link to my AAR

Anyway, have fun playing as the Satanae, because they sure were fun to fight against.
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people.
    ~Anonymous

Romano British AAR
    End of Days AAR
    WRE Migration Campaign AAR
    The Official RTW Screenshot Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrelial View Post
    Woh I wasn't aware that the map of EOD was that detailed,extending to the far east.Great AAR.Btw who had created the map of EOD? :hmmm:
    This is on a R:TW install with RS 1.5; I'm surprised EoD still works since RS "breaks" BI, but it makes the map look absolutely amazing. The map is a modified BI vanilla with the eastern regions being added from the RS map (I believe).

And thanks Halie, I'm probably going to just use the Spoiler method until I figure out how to resize them manually.

--

With the pagans of Ancrya crushed, the heir to the Satanae throne moves on the city itself; only garrisoned by a single general.

The armies of Gehenna and Gomorrah are about to merge under the great general, Valefor. He's got some pretty nice stats for a general this early in the campaign (thanks Halie/Mak ), and more importantly, he collects souls .

Further to the west in Thessalonica, our agents have just completed their first assasination and they've picked up a pretty nice trait...

At the end of the turn, an army of pagan spearmen attack one of our armies. The odds are 3 : 5, and they have 3 times the infantry I do.

What they do not have; however, is this rock.

I place my spearmen and swordsmen in the front with my archers and general behind them. The men who have taken up the call of the Dark Lords may be numerous and strong, but many are cowards that will rout at the first sight of the enemy. . .my general is there to "encourage" them to hold the line...

The battle begins and the pagans advance. They march just within range of my archers, then they do something strange. All of their units start running forwards and backwards, almost as if the soldiers know they are doomed, but whenever they attempt to flee and save themselves, their ignorant officers manage to get them to turn around. . .in any case, my archers almost run out of ammo picking them off one at a time.

Then they stop "dancing" and the meat grinder begins. I allow this to go on for quite some time; their units were hovering between "shaken" and "wavering".

Then the heathen captain attempts to flank my infantry and strike at my archers, but they are cut short when my Beleth cavalry emerge from the trees and surprise them. The pagan cavalry, although much stronger than that of my cavalry, rout within seconds...

...his army soon gets the message as well.

This battle results in a second heroic victory.

While loading the Stat. Map, a nice quote came up for the loading screen. I must say, all of the quotes for the loading screens are great; much better than the ones I find on most other mods.

The next turn, Ancrya is taken and, true to form, it is exterminated. No mercy for those that resist the Dark Lords!

Blog Entries

Mak made the map, the eastern section is from IBFD..

And thanks Halie, I'm probably going to just use the Spoiler method until I figure out how to resize them manually.
    No worries..

The armies of Gehenna and Gomorrah are about to merge under the great general, Valefor. He's got some pretty nice stats for a general this early in the campaign (thanks Halie/Mak ), and more importantly, he collects souls
    He's also the leader of the ''Severin'' caste of vampyres, one of the central characters in EODII....
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 02, 2008 at 10:00 PM.

Very good map,I didn't know Mak possesed also mapping skills among her arsenal of modding attributes

Blog Entries

Very good map,I didn't know Mak possessed also mapping skills among her arsenal of modding attributes
    A'yup, there's little Mak can't do, you really should check out the EODII map, it's a work of art..

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    A'yup, there's little Mak can't do, you really should check out the EODII map, it's a work of art..

Indeed it's so,as you always say Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

EDIT:

Wohooo.. Just checked it out,That's hardcore,just saw the volcanos and the tainted landscape surronding them.Great work about the new models and their textures regarding the volcanos and the landscape,I don't recall the vanilla BI have them,it must have been hard to assign them a pixel and make the engine recognize them.Tremendous work indeed
    Last edited by Zephrelial; March 03, 2008 at 06:14 AM.

Oh goody...a heathen Satanae AAR !!

Originally posted by Zephrelial
    Very good map,I didn't know Mak possesed also mapping skills among her arsenal of modding attributes
    Yes sir..Mak is an outstanding modder. One of the RTW communities best IMO. Along those lines, not to sidetrack this thread..Just wanted to mention that if i could have one of my vote's back in the modding awards here at TWC, modeling award to be more specific, i would cast it for Halie. The units in both EOD's and in Gods & Fighting Men are incredible. The Riders of the Sidhe is a sick unit...Great stuff...
    Ok sorry...back on topic...

Blog Entries

The Riders of the Sidhe is a sick unit...Great stuff...
    A'yup, though I can't take all the credit, Hoggy made the base model for the riders head, the body is the strat map witch from MTW2, and I think Balbor(sp?) (FATW) made the horse, I just edited and skinned it, pretty proud of that one though, as far as ''different'' goes the Sidhe are defiantly up there, and I've made a few...
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 03, 2008 at 07:50 PM.

General_Zavier's Avatar Civis

So what happened to this, is it dead or what?
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people.
    ~Anonymous

Romano British AAR
    End of Days AAR
    WRE Migration Campaign AAR
    The Official RTW Screenshot Competition.

Blog Entries

Yeh I think so, he's still around, maybe he forgot.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Great AAR. I hope he does update this AAR.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

.......its dead
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Necropost+reply after 2 weeks=WIN

Are there actually any other factions in this mod except for the freakin' Satanae? I mean except for the Satanae and the peasants who get crushed.

Blog Entries

• The Francia (French).
    • Albion (British).
    • Islam.
    • Shambhala (Buddhist warrior monks).
    • Germanicae (Germanic)
    • Hispania.

Are all playable factions..

This AAR was never finished..

There are two other AAR stickied in tis forum, one is Germanicae and one for the Shambhala..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; October 22, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Ok, thanks. Should probably give this a try since the units look good.

Thanks for AAR, very much was pleasant