72. You may not vote on this poll
  • AMD 64 3200

59 81.94%
  • INTEL P4 3.2ghz

13 18.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Processor Choice AMD or INTEL

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

I getting a new processor soon and for the budjet i'm working with these 2 are the best choice (so don't bother suggesting a P4 extreme edition or an AMD FX 4000 : ).

I'm currently pretty much inclined to pick the AMD64 3200 due to the gaming performance (have been checking benchmark results) and the built in memory controler which i think will help to manage the 1ghz ram i have. Furthermore INTEL has picked up the very bad habit of old AMD processors of overheating like a toaster, which means that it limits the overclocking possibilities of not only the processor itself, but also of the all other components inside your box too.

Is there a P4 fan out there that wants to defend intel and persuade me to change my mind?

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

about the same price level (here in the states at least)

from what i've seen, those athlon 64 are great for games, as their main advantage is an integrated memory controler nothing really uses the 64 bit processing power yet though

if you DO get the AMD, make sure you get the 90nm process one (as opposed to the 130nm) because the 90's tend to generate less heat, and thus, overclock better.

and of course, go with a 939 pin connector for it (i doubt they even make the 90 nm for any other pin configuration, but just in case), 940 is all but abandoned, and 754 is not going to be around for much longer either.

Good luck! :
    My apologies in advance if I show a certain Spartan fixation, it has nothing to do with silly Hollywood comic book adaptations or glorified legends, but my familial lineage.

Δεκατρις - Λακωνια - Ελλας

I would choose without hesitation. :smile It's cheaper and in games some of their processors are even 30% faster than Intel ones. You should visit some overclocking forums - 3/4 of people there have AMDs.
    Argumenta non numeranda sed ponderanda sunt.

Visit www.totalwar.org.pl

No, that isn't a banana

AMD 3200+ S939 all the way - for gaming at least. benchmarks, as you said, should make your decision for you.

I would go for AMD, they beat Intel by a mile.

Yeah, I am going to get the 939 instead of the 754.

One of the biggest differences between Socket 754 and 939 is the fact that Socket 754 does *not* support dual channel memory controllers. The lack of support for this option causes a performance hit against Socket 754. Socket 939 processors are also capable of up a higher data bandwidth then Socket 754 processors.

S754 has "no future in gaming"

S754 = (Single Channel Memory Controller, 64bit, HTT 1600Mhz Full Duplex, SOI, 130nm)
    S939 = (Dual Channel Memory Controller, 128bit, HTT 2000Mhz Full Duplex, SOI, 90nm, 130nm)
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Praetorian Guard Clan</span>

Clan Website

New Website Updated&#33;

What&#39;s this? No Intel fanboys? :p

I wanted to start a fanboy war... :p

&quot;Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil.&quot;
    Stewie, Family Guy

choose the AMD please for the love of god pleaseee i made a mistake by buying Pentium 4 prescott HT instead of AMD 64 bit. i made a huge mistake. dont make the same

why are the Intel guys not saying a word? We don&#39;t bite... :p

Stewie, Family Guy

Well, the only downside to getting the 64 bit processors is that there really isnt much out there that utilizes all of that extra capability. There is a 64 bit version of Windows somewhere but most everything else still relies on the 32 bit capabilities..its just how its coded. If you DESPERATELY need to get a computer up and going then throw down for an AMD..but if you dont I think you should wait..the processors will only get faster plus PLUS later on more stuff will come out that will actually utilize that 64 bit capablity..not to mention price will of course drop for the 64 bit processors.
    Under the patronage of the one and only GodEmperor Nicholas
    Proud patron of OTZ and MadBurgerMaker

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

If it&#39;s for gaming, I&#39;d say AMD all the way. For the stuff I do on my computers, Intel is a better choice; and that&#39;s the way I went when I had to replace the processors and motherboards for them in December. If they were gaming machines, I&#39;d have gone with the cheaper and faster AMD processors without blinking.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

For the stuff I do on my computers, Intel is a better choice
    What do you do? video/sound encoding? 3d rendering?

Stewie, Family Guy

You&#39;ll love this though in one of my tests I didnt mention because its not relevant, but the AMD 3500+ and Intel 3.2 Prescott ran the same for RTW. lol for what its worth if you are going to do any video editing etc go with Intel, if not go with whatever is cheaper. lol

Dual core chips will be out soon and in a year or so they will be dirt cheap like other processors now.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

I figure if you need a benchmark to detect the differences between AMD and Intel, in the end it doesn&#39;t really matter. I would just buy whichever is cheapest and fastest. You also need to factor in motherboard, b/c Intel mobos don&#39;t like AMD processors, and vice versa.

Unless of course you sit around doing very processor intensive things, like figuring out the probability of survival in a small town of 5000 if a volcano erupts in the center, or you really want to overclock your sucker.

The thing with overclocking is, unless you&#39;re great at it or you just like doign it, the money you spend on coolign equipment, and the reduced life of a piece of your comp that is hotter than it&#39;s designed to be doesn&#39;t really weigh out that well.

Don&#39;t make the same mistake as I do: I bought an Intel 2.6C HT last year and later found out AMD 64 is hell a lot better than that.

Anyway I recommend this page: THGC CPU Buyers&#39; Guide

Hope this will help you decide your CPU.

Jurand's Avatar Civis

Got me a 64 3200+ (s754) with a gig of Kingston and a K8N-E Delux (ASUS mobo). Runs everything smooth as silk even without overclocking. I&#39;m concidering getting some good watercooling so as to be able to overclock the beast when I need some more juice.

As of yet, I&#39;ve no complaints to do against the s754 and to the contrary, I&#39;ve gotten better than expected results.

Veni, vidi, Deus vicit

I use Photoshop, 3d max and, premier as well as for gaming. Which processor would you guys recommend?

Civitate
    North-Holland, 1 of the 12 provinces in The Netherlands

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/...um4_570-15.html

Intel beats AMD in 3d studio max, im afraid.
    "in montem soli non loquitur" basically means that you should not argue against what is obvious.

(> <) (\_/) Haha, die little bunny, die!
    (_)(_)(x.X) No soup for you!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Intel beats AMD in 3d studio max, im afraid.
    Yes that kind of task is Intel&#39;s bread and butter.

Stewie, Family Guy

Civitate
    North-Holland, 1 of the 12 provinces in The Netherlands

im also not too fond of the &#39;high-end&#39; Athlon XP&#39;s, they run too hot.

Same for the Pentium 4, the latest top models run too hot. My 2.8 GHz P4 stays cool & quiet though i love her very much.

Processor companies should learn to plan ahead for this kind of meltdown. I&#39;m confident AMD will kick Intel in the nuts with their new multi-core processors. That should finally allow some degree of multi-tasking.
    "in montem soli non loquitur" basically means that you should not argue against what is obvious.

(> <) (\_/) Haha, die little bunny, die!
    (_)(_)(x.X) No soup for you!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

im also not too fond of the &#39;high-end&#39; Athlon XP&#39;s, they run too hot.

My brand new AMD 64 3200+ runs at 50 degrees after an hour of load, which is pretty good. Of course that i&#39;ve been hearing some stuff about those 3800 heating up too fast, but there aren&#39;t many things out there that can load them up for long that way.

Stewie, Family Guy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast