Thread: The Darjeeling Limited

Default The Darjeeling Limited

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0838221/
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1bYukdvLI

Seriously doubt there are many Wes Anderson fans around, but he's the guy who directed/co-wrote the Royal Tenenbaums, probably his most famous film. I find that people either love or hate his stuff, not much middle ground, obviously I'm a big fan, so when I watched The Darjeeling Limited, I wasn't disappointed.

Wes Anderson's latest film, The Darjeeling Limited, is the strange, hilarious and sometimes very touching story of three brothers. Francis (Owen Wilson), Peter (Adrien Brody) & Jack (Jason Schwartzman). After a motorcycle accident nearly kills Francis, he invites his two brothers to meet him in India, so that they can undertake a spiritual journey and become closer in the process. They haven't seen one another since their father's funeral, one year earlier.

Dry humor and odd situations occur, along with Anderson's trademark "hit you when you're not expecting it approach", and this is where Anderson shines in my opinion. The ability to make one laugh then bring them back to earth with a serious situation, and pull it off, isn't an easy thing to do. But, he nails it yet again. Great performances all around. Bill Murray makes his cameo, which wasn't surprising since Anderson uses him a lot. Anjelica Huston also appears.

Overall a beautiful little film. It's not for everybody, if "Meet the Spartans" is what you call good cinema, look elsewhere.

Memorable quotes:
    Francis: Where are the savory snacks?
    Jack: What?
    Francis: [pause] Did you just **** that Indian girl?
    Peter: Those Germans are bothering me
    Jack: What did he say?
    Peter: He said the train is lost.
    Jack: How can a train be lost? It's on rails.
    Note: There was a 13 minute short film that accompanied the film in theaters called "Hotel Chevalier". Basically it's Natalie Portman and Jason Schwartzman in a Hotel room in France. Great little side story of Schwartzman's Jack character. Watching this first will help when watching the main film, since it helps explain certain things. Oh, and you get a nice little bonus in Hotel Chevalier, a naked Natalie Portman...and she's good to go baby, let me tell you. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1094249/

Drexxus,
    Last edited by Drexxus Maximus; February 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

"And I have felt the sudden blow of a nameless wind's cold breath,
    And watched the grisly pilgrims go that walk the roads of Death,
    And I have seen black valleys gape, abysses in the gloom,
    And I have fought the deathless Ape that guards the Doors of Doom."
    -Robert E. Howard "Recompense"

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The Darjeeling Limited

It was extremely boring and pointless in my book. I hated every minute of it.