Thread: Winning a battle AFK ?

Default Winning a battle AFK ?

I played a game online a couple of months back as the Germans on Germanic forest. 1 vs. 1 vs.1
    Germania vs. Macedon vs. Greece

As soon as the battle starts I rush my men into the woods. I deploy in a crescent. I have greeks on one side and Macedonians on the other.

In front of my spear warband crescent I have chosen axemen ready for ambushes. I have 2 berserker units and 4 gothic calvary.

The macedonians begin an archer attack. I engage my archers. But his Cretans start to destroy mine. I tell my archers to retreat. Suddenly I have to leave computer for 20 mins.

I come back the Macedonian army has fought its way trough mine to the greeks with only half of its General Unit and 2 half strength spearmen units. I charge my cav into their backside and HUZZAH. I have defeated a Macedonian army AFK !!!!!
    I have very few men left and Im very shocked. Without me to spring the ambush I certainly would have lost !

I go back and watch the replay.

Shortly after I had retreated my archers he sent all his calvary into the forest. In one the best things Iv ever seen happen. His calvary ran right between 2 hiding Chosen Axemen units. The axemen rout the first and second units almost instantly. I mean they are cutting the horses down in no time at all as they run by. Of course my axemen run off after the horsemen and his archers pick my axemen down.
    He now sends his whole army in. At this point I have 4 spear warbands,3 archers, 4 gothic cav, 2 chosen axemen that the cav didnt encounter and 2 berserkers.
    All except general are still hidden.
    His phanlanxes walk in a and destroy the my crescent from the side. However my men bloody his up and his men turn into a blob. Another lucky break is some chosen axemen join the fray. At this point Im wondering how what was left of my army was going to destroy his 6 or 7 remaining phalanxes. Somehow his men rub agaisnt a cavalry unit. The charge. Now the fight is pretty equal,but I can tell Im still going to lose because of his superior infantry.
    The next thing he does is the worst he could do. He finds my berserkers and fires flaming arrows on them.
    THEY GO BERSERK. And the best part is they are behind his blob of men.
    He tries to get some spears in their direction but it's unsuccessful. Now surrounded and his phalanx with their backs to axemen and bersekrs they quickly destroy most of his men. His fights his way out trough the middle before they kill everyone though. This is the point where I come back and find a forest floor littered with bodies and my army still standing.

Needless to say the Greeks mop me up. But by using more ambushes directed by me Im able to destroy 3 spartans with only 2 groups of drained axemen and one decent group of spear warband.

I call this a victory though because I defeated an army without even directing mine.

Great feeling that battle.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: Winning a battle AFK ?

I had something similar happen to me before. I had just started a battle, and immediately, someone rang the doorbell. I couldn't get rid of the person at the door; 3 minutes later, I ran back to my computer, and I moved all of my units in time to attack him and win.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Interesting what those troops can do without you eh.

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

I maybe should se if I win more often without commanding my units

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

Haha, it probably would have been a different outcome if you had been playing on the Grassy Flatland's.

Good thing you weren't though!

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Longbowman View Post
    I maybe should se if I win more often without commanding my units
    That would be an interesting experiment. Just build an army, deploy, and then see how many games you can win without doing anything

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

First practise in Custom Battles of course. I wont risk it with the campaign.
    Vale,

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrus Castus View Post
    First practise in Custom Battles of course. I wont risk it with the campaign.
    No way, I'm gonna do this online, and see if anyone loses to me AFK

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, you could give your army to AI control, though they will probably lose .

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    Well, you could give your army to AI control, though they will probably lose .
    The AI is stupid so I think you would stand a bigger chance just ignoring to give any orders whatsoever

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

If only you could record campaign battles I would consider using general-cam and assigning most of my army to the A.I.

It would make good material for an AAR because you could examine the replay at your leisure to find out what actually happened during the battle.

It would also be a good way to get more evenly balanced battles. RTS-view is just too powerful an advantage for the Human player. For a good demostration of this, just try fighting in a forest.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

The only time I went afk, he was waiting for me to attack because he thought I was going to ambush, and he didn't attack the whole time.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

For me, just get the army into phalanax formation, form a box with almost zero gap, and just sit there waiting for the enemy to kill themselves.

I put my archers in the middle as well.

Easy to AFK and win with a phalanx army.