View Poll Results: What Rules Do You Prefer?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • As Much Money As Possible, No Rules

2 7.14%
  • CWB Rules

5 17.86%
  • 10.000-12.500 No Rules

18 64.29%
  • As Much Money As Possible, Other Rules ( please specify)

1 3.57%
  • Other Rules

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Rules Do You Prefer?

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Default What Rules Do You Prefer?

I got into a small debatte on "Online Storys" about which rules is the best so I thought I would start this thread. I am no really experienced online player and the possibility that I forgot a rule to put on the poll is big.

However tell me and a mod might be able to change it

I prefer 10K No Rules myself because all tourneys are with those rules and I also think it gives the game a stragegical depth ( not saying some other rules don't do that but anyway)
    Last edited by Mr Longbowman; February 29, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: What Rules Do You Prefer?

I'd say 10k denarii with or without rules.

- If a clanmember joins my game, I'll play CWB.

- But if someone else joins, then I'll let them make whatever kind of army they want. I'll almost always stick to a CWB army myself, but I prefer my opponents to have diverse armies. The only kind of spam I don't like is chariot archer spam but most people won't stoop that low (even with No Rules).

10k is perfect (with or without rules) because the other player can't really afford to build super-duper armies.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; February 29, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

I voted 10k no rules. Format I'm used to and I like it. Small amount of money makes for smaller armies without loads of upgraded uber troops. Also it allows me to pick what I like, without getting "SPAM!" thrown at my head.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Well...overall I love a good CWB 12.5k rules as Carthage can own in that area...not to mention it keeps away horse archer spammers *cough SELIFATOR cough* But I also love a good 10k game no rules when I'm playing in the TWC tourneys as I feel they are also very fair.

I voted 10k no rules, because I started playing online by those rules, and because the Prince of Macedon's tournaments go by those rules (weird eh?, we call no rules, rules)
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I play 10k with the only rule being no artillery. I think it's a stupid and cowardly arm to use unless you are besieging a city or something similar.
    But if I find anything somewhat to my taste, I will still play it anyway.

1v1 10k no rules

I prefer cwb. I cant stand a guy with 5 seige units that kill your general unit before the armies even make contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_2009 View Post
    Well...overall I love a good CWB 12.5k rules as Carthage can own in that area...not to mention it keeps away horse archer spammers *cough SELIFATOR cough* But I also love a good 10k game no rules when I'm playing in the TWC tourneys as I feel they are also very fair.
    When did I ever spam Horse Archers against you, eh eh? I only spam archers and maidens!
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

cwb... i dislike spam, this way you are prevented from taking 9 praetorian cavalry(whoever wants to take that lol)

OR 6 horse archers, or 11 maidens or whatever spam there is. Also someone said you could say rome only? i could only say that he is uncapable of making a good tactic vs rome in those rules.
    Roma Surrectum Fanatics. Click HERE to Join Us!!!
    Death is light as a feather, Duty heavier then a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Duke_Spartacus View Post
    cwb... i dislike spam, this way you are prevented from taking 9 praetorian cavalry(whoever wants to take that lol)
    I play "No Rules" a lot (in addition to CWB), and I hardly ever see anyone spam Praetorian Cavalry. I've seen a few players do this, but 5 out of 900 battles is hardly a regular occurrence. That said, I always beat the Praetorian Cavalry spam. It isn't that difficult to overcome. Not for a spear-faction anyway.

OR 6 horse archers, or 11 maidens or whatever spam there is.
    Horse Archer spam is also beatable. Maiden/archer spam is more difficult though (for the same reason that Desert Cav used to be extremely difficult to beat).

That said, CWB allows for Archer spam. If you don't think 8 Archers isn't spam, then you don't know what spam is. If you're going to clamp down on the amount of cavalry a player can have, why not clamp down on the amount of archers? I suppose Archer spam is acceptable, but not cavalry spam(?) :hmmm:

Seriously, almost every game against a clanmember involves Roman Archers, Roman Archers, Roman Archers, Roman Archers, Roman Archers, Roman Archers, Archer Auxilia, and Archer Auxilia. CWB isn't as perfect as you think. If people are going to spam anyway, you might as well let them spam anything they want. Sure, Chariot Archer spam sucks, but most people are honorable enough not to use it.

Also someone said you could say rome only? i could only say that he is uncapable of making a good tactic vs rome in those rules.
    I beat Romans most of the time myself, but that doesn't mean Rome is a lesser faction (compared to the conventional ones). Rome, because of the game design, is inherently stronger against conventional armies. The Chariot factions have an easier time slaughtering Romans because of the chariot's asymmetry; thus, I don't view Egypt, Pontus and the Britons as conventional factions.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 01, 2008 at 08:18 AM.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

no one ever takes 8 archers in a 1v1 battle, or only if they are extremly stupid or playing against noobs(i am talking for those who play cwb)

its very easy to spend those 1500-2000 denarii on infantry and rush your opponent, so many archers is all nice, but what if your enemy is upon you within 20 seconds? where are your archers then?

no one ever takes 8 archers in a 1v1 battle, or only if they are extremly stupid or playing against noobs(i am talking for those who play cwb)

its very easy to spend those 1500-2000 denarii on infantry and rush your opponent, so many archers is all nice, but what if your enemy is upon you within 20 seconds? where are your archers then?
    First off, you changed the subject: we're talking about CWB rules, and how it allows for spam.

Second off, the people I'm talking about aren't noobs. Would you like to play against one of them? Or perhaps against me?

I just want to see how good you actually are. We'll play on your CWB rules with my money amount of 10,000.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 01, 2008 at 05:46 PM.

results get posted here!

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I feel a bit attacked here. I use 7-8 archers in my Scythian army and I am not stupid and I have won against clan members using them.
    Ergo my opinion, you have no idea what you are talking about.
    To me it seems you only accept cwb as rules, all others are trash and useless for a good game. We regularly hold tournaments with no-rules and enjoy them, otherwise we wouldn't play them.
    You say that cwb doesn't allow for spam, Prince has proven that it does.
    I have never played you, but if I did, your statement of using 8 archers against a noob would probably be true.
    This post may be insulting to you, but your entire opinion in this matter regarding cwb and no-rules has insulted me an possibly more people who use these rules.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 01, 2008 at 06:57 PM.

now he has to 1v1 selifator, too.

Just because you may (or may not) be a better player, challenging someone to a duel if they disagree with you does not make your arguement right prince, it just makes you a bully

btw how can spamming chariot archers not be honorable, but spamming cheap maidens be honorable:hmmm:
    Also 8 maidens in 10k = 12 maidens in 15k, and 7-8 archers in 10k = 10-12 archers in 15k do the maths girls,and let's compare like with like

If you wish to have 10k tournaments with no rules then good luck to you, I hope you enjoy them no problem, my only real concern is that new players read about the scythian army on the other thread and think that it is an easy way to win without bothering to learn how to play properly, and that is why I play 15k cwb as although it is not perfect it does help to encourage more skilled play, well in my opinion anyway
    Last edited by Mr Nerdy; March 02, 2008 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nerdy View Post
    Just because you may (or may not) be a better player, challenging someone to a duel if they disagree with you does not make your arguement right prince, it just makes you a bully
    No, challenging someone to a physical fight would make me a bully. But challenging someone to a game just makes me a player. Why does everyone think getting challenged to a game is scary? :hmmm:

I didn't challenged him to a game because of his opinion on rules. If you had the posts properly, you'd see that I also play CWB (in addition to "No Rules"). Basically, I challenged him to a match because he questioned my ability to play the game. Perhaps you didn't see these:
    Also someone said you could say rome only? i could only say that he is uncapable of making a good tactic vs rome in those rules.
    Some of the people I play are cream-of-the-crop, and if this |Sith| character is calling them amateurs, then I really have to see for myself just how good he really is, Mr_Nerdy.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 02, 2008 at 04:57 AM.

by no means prince i was merely talking who were playing CWB rules, as i said in my post. Please dont attack me on something i didnt say.

No rules is too unpredictable and 8 archers is possible, but with CWB rules you would lose 99% of the time you would play.(at least against clannies)

sorry im sounding so cocky but i played this game since the day it came out, and always played it online, Sith has fought many top skilled clans.

Cor
    Arcani
    Genesis
    Wolfpack
    Hell
    Taow
    barbarianhorde
    vandals(wich we beat in BI twpl 2006 finals)
    Silent assasin

and thats a small list. The reason of this list? because i think i have some reason to be arrogant, i have played the game for years, although now i dont play it anymore. I fought and won and lost against the best for years. So i am sorry im arrogant,

It is just that i have been on RTW occasionly and 90% of the guys i saw in there and joined my game took unupgraded armies and always broke the rules so i got the idea that RTW is a noob playing ground now. I know it is not. Srry Prince for my words, i didnt mean them to be...insulting

and no selifactor i dont take that post as insulting, i was rude myself

Fair enough Prince but you can understand peoples sensitivity to challenges as there are plenty of people who do use challenges to win arguements and a few on here who seem overly keen to see the result of such a match up as they would use it to proove their case, when in fact it would proove nothing.

I do disagree with Duke_spartacus on one point and that is that plenty of clan members do bring 8 archers to 1 v 1s in cwb, mainly because that is the way that they are trained these days, but as he rightly points out there is a solution to it within the cwb rules.

On his second point I agree however, Rome does not rule the roost in cwb, there are in general suitable counters to everything
    But you enjoy and feel passionate about 10k, it's not for me but we can't all be the same, I have detailed my reservations above if you disagree fine but I hope you all continue to play and enjoy RTW

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast