Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [Dev-Report] Chivalry I : Previews & Progress

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Short Development Progress List

Well, I like it and think that it makes for a more unique Russian faction. And a new Islamic power in the East may drastically affect the game and make it more fun if you play the Byzantines or the Seljuks.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Short Development Progress List

Well, Novgorod (unique units, characters, Novgorod settlement) is still in the game just under the KievRus who were indeed the main russian power in our timeframe, they got Smolensk, and have now a quite historical trade route between Nowgorod and Kiev. It is still a challenge due to the powerful Steppe people all around.
    The addition of the Rum Seljuks renders the game much more historically correct, as the Grand Seljuk empire was in a heavy crisis/civil war right after the death of Malik Shah, but also before this event, the Seljuks weren't at all united.
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Preview 1 - The new Chivalry Version

Played this one in test drive with the Byzantines...

I like what I see.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

Patrician Artifex

Mini-Sneakpeak Romans:

(Edit: not viewable link source, removed, see post #78)

It's one draft done by Basileios, of the new Numerioi (Skoutatoi of Contantinople only) in the front-display, attacked by Saracens of the Grand Seljuk Empire (it's all wip btw.).
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 20, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Too bad we can not see them!:hmmm:
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

The link says that we don't have permission to view the page, but I would love to see the preview of my favorite faction.

Basileios's Avatar Decanus

I hope that's better:

DaVinci's previous picture(pic 5) shows the Numerioi carrying the sarrissa or kontaria makron but as a garrison unit pikes are most unlikely. So we decided to use short pikes (kontaria mikron) instead.
    CTW Byzantine faction design (Retired)

Looks nice, but shouldn't the phalanx formation be a bit denser in order to make it effective?

Quote Originally Posted by Basileios View Post
    I hope that's better:

DaVinci's previous picture(pic 5) shows the Numerioi carrying the sarrissa or kontaria makron but as a garrison unit pikes are most unlikely. So we decided to use short pikes (kontaria mikron) instead.
    Nice but ...what is the starting day of the mod?:hmmm:
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

good things need time.
    some unit UIs need an overhaul and the beta-test is not finished.
    Anyway. In the next days we will offer a new Preview.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Nice but ...what is the starting day of the mod?:hmmm:
    1072. But I suppose that wasn't your point... Do you consider the Numerioi out of the timescale? Or just their design?

The name numerioi as the infantry version of Scholarii is fine becouse "arithmos"-numeron was one of the scholae!
    My abjection is the shield type...Large round and oval shields begin to be abondoned after 1025(Death of Basileios II)and even earlier!
    A kite shiled with the Crist's insignia kould be more accurate (if you have not an imperial guard unit in your roster)!!!:hmmm:

good suggestion and really sensefull. we will check that. thanx

The following description of the battle of Matziquert will help you to see ranks(traits in 1071)and some usefull info for the battle it self...

Battle of Matziquert
    With little words like a telegram

Persons related to battle :
    Romanus IV Diogenes Emperor of the Roman Empire.
    Manuel Komnenos Kouropalates
    Ioannes Dukas Kaisar
    Andronikus Dukas (Megas?) Dux
    Joseph Tarchaneiates Magistrus
    Nikephorus Vasilakius Majistrus Katepano
    Nikephorus Vryennius Domestikus ton scholon tes Dyseos
    Theodorus Alleates General-Dux of Kappadokia
    Russelius de Bayell Etairiarches ton Latinikon
    Michael Attaleiates Historian (describer of the hole campaign).

Arp Aslan Sultan (leader of the seljuk/turkoman confederacy)...
    Nizam al Mulk General

Pre battle events:
    1:Kouropalates Manuel Komnenos signs a non aggression pact with the Arp Aslan with very good terms for the empire...
    2:Manuel Komnenos dies early 1071(or late 1070)...
    3:Arp Aslan begins hostilities with Fatimids and Khwresmians at the same time...
    4: Turkomanic tribal forces raid the empire east territories and capture the city of Matziquert (maybe) without orders of Arp Aslan.
    5:Imperial council insists that is the right time to expand (Arp Aslan already fights in two fronts).
    6: Emperor orders the troops to be gathered in Ellenopollis at the army's Aplicton(camp)...
    7:Army's numbers 200000-400000 according to Turkish historians of that time 60000 according to Cheynet …(estimated 60000-90000).
    8:Army has Greek/romans,Iberians(Georgians),Armenians, Francs(latinicon),Rus(varangs)and skythicon(Allans and Pejenegs).
    9:Emperor marches to Theodosioupollis to gather more "thematic"troops.
    10:Emperor sieges Matziquert(estimated dates 15-20 of August).
    11:Arp Aslan sieges Edessa
    12:Sultan orders Nizam al Mulk to gather troops and help shield the paths to his
    rear.
    13:Emperor sends Russelius to Hliat to conquer the city…
    14:Emperor has no news from Russelius and decides to send Tarchaneiates with
    20000 heavy cavalry to find him and then to return to assist him as soon as
    possible.
    15:Arp Aslan arrives at 17th or 24th of August…
    16:Arp Aslan holds highlands and a water spring…

Battle events:
    -1 day: 1:Turkish recon force provokes Byzantines..
    2:Nikephorus Vryennius responds to the trap and counter attack .He
    is in the middle of the trap and asks help…
    3:Emperor orders Nikephorus Vasilacius to help the trapped general!
    4:N. Vryennius is safe but N.Vasilakius captured by the turks.
    5:Army withdraws for the night.
    6:Turkish forces doing night attack…

Day of the battle: (19 or 26 of August)..
    1:Emperor orders the army to take position..but still has no clear view for
    the Seljuk army.
    2:Emmisaries from Arp Aslan arrive to the imperial camp with peace
    proposals.
    3:Emperor’s council convince that the sultan’s offering is an act of
    weakness.
    4:Allans start to fight with out orders.
    5:Emperor still waits the Hliat forces to return .
    6:It is already midday and Emperor orders the army to march.
    7:Emperor leads the center and his is slightly ahead from the rest of
    the army. And turks commit fake retreat..
    8:Turks surrounds emperor .
    9:Nikephorus Vryennius tries to help emperor but falls in a trap and
    Gets surrounded him self also…
    10: Pejenegs go to Turkish side.
    11: Emperor orders reform but the second line (under the orders of
    Andronicus Dukas ) sees it as a retreat…
    12:Emperor gets wounded and captured by the Seljuks!!!

After battle events:
    1:Arp Aslan treats emperor with honor. He gives emperor a bodyguard
    force .
    2:Ioannes Dukas claim the throne for his nephew Michael Dukas.
    3: Diogenes finds refuge to Antioch and an ally the catepano of the
    city Hatatorius (an Armenian).
    4: Diogenes marches to the castle of Addana and waits the winder to pass.
    5: Ioannes and Andronikus Dukas siege the castle…
    6: Hatatorius tries to brake the siege but gets captured…
    7: Diogenes surrenders (his is wearing the monks cloth!
    Conspiracy theories:
    1:We found both Russelius and Tarchaneiates 150 kms away from the battle
    at Meletene .They had almost half or one third of the army with them…
    2: Andronikus Dukas had better position to help the emperor ,instead he
    orders retreat…
    3:Ioannes Dukas claim his nephew as the new emperor to fast .No one
    knows if the emperor is dead or alive and when it is clear that he is
    alive the claim him a traitor not a returning emperor.

Notice: Nikephorus Vryennius soldiers were known as ‘Loricati” ….

oha, so much informations in our preview thread.

gents, if somebody has infos about our mod-time-frame then please post it into one of the hist. discussion-threads or just open a new thread.

All informations are highly welcome, and we like such an input, however, it should be located on the right place.
    This preview-thread is reserved for Chivalry items and the coming version(s).

Thanx and best regards

Patrician Artifex

I think you should create then a fresh 'preview 2' thread, which i'll stick then again.

The name numerioi as the infantry version of Scholarii is fine becouse "arithmos"-numeron was one of the scholae!
    Well, as a matter of facts we had the design of the (our) Numerioi first (similar to the former Excubitai) and provided it with a place in the unit roster later...

The Viglia/Biglia/Arithmos was one of the Scholae - as you put it. The 'Numerioi', though the term itself seems to be synonym to 'Arithmos' - was apparently an other unit.
    Both the Numerioi and Teiche are said to be closely related to the Tagmata but were normally not counted among them.

My abjection is the shield type...Large round and oval shields begin to be abondoned after 1025(Death of Basileios II)and even earlier!
    For the oval shield you're certainly right! About 1000 AD the kite-shield is suggested to have replaced the oval ones but the round shields seemed to have remained in use for the Riptaristai (=Akontistai) and Menavlatoi. In the cavalry the dates for the kite-shield becoming predominant vary between 1000 AD (like the infantry) to the adoption of wester heavy cavalry tactics although for native cavalry under Manuel Komnenios around 1150 AD. Personly I prefer the first date!

A kite shiled with the Crist's insignia kould be more accurate (if you have not an imperial guard unit in your roster)!!!:hmmm:
    Sounds most interesting! Though imho the Hetaireia (bodyguards) might be an even better choice for that!

Btw great work about Manzikert! The informations are generally known, but you put them in a superbly compact form!

Just one thing: the defection of some Turkish mercenaries is said to take place before the battle (probably the day before). The remaining Turkish mercenaries were after that put on an holy oath and are claimed to have fought to the end!

What about the new custom battlemap buildings ?
    Will you include other in this new version ?

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Patrician Artifex

The as yet included Chivalry 3d buildings/settlement plans (battle mode) are present since version 0.50 (released October 2006 ... new?).

And else, we haven't an active 3d building modeler, as Drak isn't present since January 2008. So it is high probable there won't be new 3d buildings, unless Drak comes back and has the time to work on this, or another new 3d building modder suceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    The as yet included Chivalry 3d buildings/settlement plans (battle mode) are present since version 0.50 (released October 2006 ... new?).

And else, we haven't an active 3d building modeler, as Drak isn't present since January 2008. So it is high probable there won't be new 3d buildings, unless Drak comes back and has the time to work on this, or another new 3d building modder suceeds.
    Great. Anyway it is true that new buildings aren't necessary because there is already new buildings since v0.50.
    Ok, thanks for the answer, and be sure that I will play this new version.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.