Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [Dev-Report] Chivalry I : Previews & Progress

Default Re: Preview 1 - The new Chivalry Version

well the AI cannot handle properly almost everything, but I don't consider it a good reason to not include them since even the vanilla system isn't an AI friendly one.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

... we aim to increase the players challenge and to help the ai where possible.

- I don't like it, if an ai unit creates shiltrom only because it "sees" cavalry, stays in this formation, and the player can **** them up with range units or can simply ignore this fix unit until all other ai units are considered, and then going back to the shiltrom unit to slaughter them.

- Shieldwall is very inflexible, the ai is far more vulnerable if attacked and ie. encirlced. And i believe it is also earlier exhausted.

Besides this, shieldwall is a (imo. anyway superflouos) performance resource-eater.

Plus, for the medieval battlefields in our mod not very historical accurate.

Those are indeed reasons for me to not include these formations.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 03, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Is Kazharia going to be in the mod? No mod I have every seen included them, but they were a powerful Jewish Empire stradling the caucasus and part of Khazakstan.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

you see a confused Pompeius magnus!
    First of all: all faction slots are used. So, we can't install a new faction.

Anyway...
    Please give me sources for your comment.
    Which Empire is it? Which time-frame? Make more concrete examples please.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; April 06, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Hashashim View Post
    Is Kazharia going to be in the mod? No mod I have every seen included them, but they were a powerful Jewish Empire stradling the caucasus and part of Khazakstan.
    Here is a RTW mod in development that has planned the Khazars as faction
    Viking: Total War
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    ... we aim to increase the players challenge and to help the ai where possible.

- I don't like it, if an ai unit creates shiltrom only because it "sees" cavalry, stays in this formation, and the player can **** them up with range units or can simply ignore this fix unit until all other ai units are considered, and then going back to the shiltrom unit to slaughter them.

- Shieldwall is very inflexible, the ai is far more vulnerable if attacked and ie. encirlced. And i believe it is also earlier exhausted.

Besides this, shieldwall is a (imo. anyway superflouos) performance resource-eater.

Plus, for the medieval battlefields in our mod not very historical accurate.

Those are indeed reasons for me to not include these formations.
    these are good points, but if we expand them you would have to change almost everything, because almost everything is "exploitable" by the player. High charge - low attack cavalry, frighten and command attributes, long range missile weapons, javelinmen, ap weapons...hell, maybe also the spearmen/swordsmen distinction. Every thing I've listed can be used much, much better by the player than the AI.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by beatoangelico View Post
    these are good points, but if we expand them you would have to change almost everything, because almost everything is "exploitable" by the player. High charge - low attack cavalry, frighten and command attributes, long range missile weapons, javelinmen, ap weapons...hell, maybe also the spearmen/swordsmen distinction. Every thing I've listed can be used much, much better by the player than the AI.
    Whom do you tell this? Therefor we reduce a few options which are very significant, got it?

Originally Posted by Hashashim
    Btw., i forgot, we have them as independent factions at least ( Khazars and Abkhazians )

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Khazars were indeed powerful - but seldom mentioned. It was nice to see as little bit on them last time I went to the British Museum though

I first heard about them through Arthur Koestler's fascinating "The Thirteenth Tribe" book which draws on Muslim sources among others.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Khazars were indeed powerful - but seldom mentioned. It was nice to see as little bit on them last time I went to the British Museum though

I first heard about them through Arthur Koestler's fascinating "The Thirteenth Tribe" book which draws on Muslim sources among others.
    Thanks MoN for showing your face here, it's an honor

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Thx

I like to pop in to the top-notch mod forums every now and again
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

I have noticed a lot of critiscism for the strat map in Chivalry, but I just want to say one of the best things about Chivalry, one of the things that makes it so good, and one of the things is the realistic strat map - I'm sick of bright greens and yellows, not only that the map adds to the atmosphere of the mod better then anything else I can think of

Patrician Artifex

Nice to hear that, thanks

It's great to see that one of my favorite mods is alive and kicking!
    Do you have any new previews?
    Cheers,

CK

Patrician Artifex

Pomp Mag will provide soon a new one, atm. we have still a lot to do, before the next internal beta version stays, respectively before it is is ready for a new preview
    (ie. many units are added and/or changed, the starting maps are changed, one faction switch, a lot new ancs ... but all needs still a quasi-final status).
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 30, 2008 at 09:21 AM.

clone's Avatar Primicerius

hi. i liked very much this mod .but the flag of byzantine empire in the game is historically accurate but it was also the two headed bird(eagle) who looks with his one head in the west and one in the east. you know that Byzantium came vary close with the orthodox church and Greece and as a Greek i would like this photo as the the flag of the Byzantium .i have the old version could you tell me how to change the flag and the units
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gr_ortdx.gif  
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Basileios's Avatar Decanus

Yes, cool flag as well! At the Byzantium TW team we wanted to use it as a flag, too. Like many other well know Byzantine flags, it is rather a flag of the HIGH and LATE period, I'm afraid.

Pompeius Magnus posted a number of other flags at his 'Basileis ton Rhomaion' thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157469

P.S.: The picture of your favorite flag below seems to be of better quality than the pic you posted, so it might though be of some interest for you.
    Last edited by Basileios; May 03, 2008 at 03:47 AM.
    CTW Byzantine faction design (Retired)

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    you know that Byzantium came vary close with the orthodox church and Greece and as a Greek i would like this photo as the the flag of the Byzantium .i have the old version could you tell me how to change the flag and the units
    Well actually we have no intention to change the flag but we will think about this as Basileios said.
    And by the way:
    The doubleheaded eagle was sureley a byzantine sign in earlier times, however, it was widely used after the reconquering of Constantinople in the era of the Palaiologoi. That means the professional introduction was somewhere between +/-1204-1261.
    But it was for sure not the main sign of the Roman state in 1072AD.
    As Basileios said: High or Late era. It was known before, but it was more a sign of a dynasty.

The sign means: the eagle looks into the old west and the new east. The sign means also a proclamation of the emperors over the old Roman Empire. And it really has nothing to do with any greek terms or greek forms. The Roman Empire was a multi-ethnic state!!! (with Thrace, Illyria, Pontus, Armenia, Isauria, partially Latium and Africa and Iberia and dozens of other people.)

Even in the 10th century the official sign was still the chi-rho sign of constantine the great.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; May 03, 2008 at 04:33 AM.

Hi ,your mod is great But I think that the Poland need Retainer's and adding Vois from Kiev or Novogrod??Sorry for my english i'm from Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    Well actually we have no intention to change the flag but we will think about this as Basileios said.
    And by the way:
    The doubleheaded eagle was sureley a byzantine sign in earlier times, however, it was widely used after the reconquering of Constantinople in the era of the Palaiologoi. That means the professional introduction was somewhere between +/-1204-1261.
    As Basileios said: High or Late era. It was known before, but it was more a sign of a dynasty.

The sign means: the eagle looks into the old west and the new east. The sign means also a proclamation of the emperors over the old Roman Empire. And it really has nothing to do with any greek terms or greek forms. The Roman Empire was a multi-ethnic state!!! (with Thrace, Illyria, Pontus, Armenia, Isauria, partially Latium and Africa and Iberia and dozens of other people.)

Even in the 10th century the official sign was still the chi-rho sign of constantine the great.
    yes but Byzantium came very close with greek orthodox church and i don't say there wasn't any other nation
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    And by the way:

yes but Byzantium came very close with greek orthodox church and i don't say there wasn't any other nation
    Robert E. Howard