Thread: what can i do ? ( siege)

Default what can i do ? ( siege)

if i attack the city the oil will kill my soldiers and i haven't ram point

I have 12 british barbarian warlords and 5 barbarian cavalry the enemy has hastati and equites

Default Re: what can i do ? ( siege)

What level walls are they? Do you have any siege equipment at all?

nope . they have stone walls .

I dont think there is anything you can do sorry. When attacking stone walls you need atleast onagers or even battering rams.

i will use infantry and ram points

Yeah good choice. Do you mean sap points?

Maybe put a spy(preferably a high level one) inside their settlement and then when you invade, there's a chance of your spy managing to open the settlement's gates for you, so you don't have to use a ram(I don't remember, but I reckon it'll stop them using the oil too...). It's a really useful tactic.

Bear in mind there is a success rate for spies but like Cmdr said if they open the gates it very useful

Three spies typically give a chance of over 100% to open the gates. They will destroy the gates and prevent oil from being poured. The gatehouses will still shoot arrows though.

actually, even with spies, the oil still drops if your men idle in the doorway, until you actually take the towers. I lost a general in that manner...

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I never knew that people could pour oil off the top of stone walls. In the RTW vanilla I didn't fight out many sieges, only field battles, and auto-resolved most sieges. That's something completely new for me.

Quote Originally Posted by piranha45 View Post
    actually, even with spies, the oil still drops if your men idle in the doorway, until you actually take the towers. I lost a general in that manner...
    I'll pay attention to this, as I was playing a mod that may removed boiling oil (XGM).

Oil sucks, thats why I always use heavy infantry and ladders to quickly gain the walls. I may lose some men but I like to do it this way.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Use ram only if the walls are made of wood material (that means the first and second level of walls). With regular, large and epic stone walls, either use ladders or siege towers.
    In Barbarian Invasions, siege towers come pre-made with a limited amount of lances that can be set to auto, so that's like archer support from the siege tower while it's nearing the wall. Not sure about regular RTW.
    Even if in regular RTW the siege towers don't have the extra ammo of lances, it's still better to use siege towers than rams, because the men pushing the tower can climb it (shielded from arrow fire) and once enough have climbed the "landing part" of the tower (the topmost floor), the tower "lands" a whole group of men on the walls, and they're more likely to survive. That's better than using ladders when the unit has to climb a few at a time.
    And it's definitely better than using rams, because not only the unit has to run through boiling oil at first, but also fight any AI units in the streets *and* receive arrow fire from the wall towers at the same time, and if it were to try to take the towers to stop the arrows, it'd still have to climb the towers one by one.
    So, in summary, using siege towers is the best option, but build a few, because if there are archers on the walls, some of the towers might catch fire from the fire arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by piranha45 View Post
    Really? I haven't really paied attention to that, but I don't think they do. :hmmm:When I do it, at least.
    Vale,