Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: XAI for PDER 1.0A

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default XAI for PDER 1.0A

XAI!! BY Xeryx and Naimad

Campaign AI version: 2.21 Lite update 1 (12th April 2008)
    Battle AI version: 3.21b (19th Sept 2008)

adapted for PDER 1.0a by gigantus

Download HERE

Installation:
    Double click the XAI Installer.exe file.
    The installer will automatically install into the DEFAULT directory (Program files\Medieval.....).
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 24, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Battle AI updated

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: Alliances

Quote Originally Posted by DarthK View Post
    I have tried both Lusted's and Xerxy's AI mods, and I have to say Lusted's seems a bit more intuitive. Xerxy's seemed more... retarded than vanilla and Lusted's.

The main problem with XAI, at least for me, usually surfaced in the AI having an extreme preference of ignoring rebel towns, and making little to no defensive maneuvers to keep their original territory. So AI on AI, they end up more or less just swapping each others land, and occasionally to the point garrison little to nothing in settlements, they revolt, and nothing ever takes the settlement again even their capitols... or many of the common 'first grab' settlements near AI start positions even 300+ turns which I usually get up to on my average campaign are assailed despite being a moat and bailey with three units in what most faction-owned territories are citadels and huge cities.

The last time I tried XAI was around four to five months ago in an SS campaign as I recall.

The ignoring of rebel towns to have attention on other things was mentioned in my last read of XAI but it seemed to go to the extreme. And of course, the complete dis-regard for their own lands was a pain... and, you might think 'all AI's are sort of like that' well this put a new meaning to it.

This was just my experience with it.
    That was along time ago (like I have only been working on it for 6 months) but retarded, is a little harsh. I was not that great then, I admit that. Vanilla is way less advanced than XAI, It makes 2 decisions per faction. XAI uses a cumulative decision process to get it's final decision. It has taken alot of work, 1600 hrs and has come along way. BTW, rebel are no longer ignored, and when you are at war with factions the war still has priority.

I dare you to try it now!! Then you might think differently. I just tried to take an unforified town, and with equal forces..I lost half my army, but still won!!
    Last edited by xeryx; February 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

aarronpeake's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Alliances

hey i'll give tha xai a try today see what i think and let you know

Default XAI 2.20D for PDER 1.0A

usingXAI!! BY Xeryx and Naimad
    Version 2.20D+ Final Release Version

adapted for PDER 1.0a by gigantus

Ok so i have started my test run on h/vh with Egypt, as this is the faction i play most and would hope i would notice more changes in behavour.

Ok first 10 turns in my game, the first things i have noticed are that it is easier for me to get allies with western factions, as in they are coming to me begging me to be there allies.

Also no matter how much i try i cant get the sejuks to allie with me, or even ceasefire... dont know if this is a good or a bad thing yet...

On the battle front not much to report, except that when i was the seiging force against a rebal town, i let the ai sally forth everything seemed to be going ok apart form none of the rebals cavalry came out of the town to face me including a genaral, and my cavalry would not enter the town... so that was a bit worrying...

I also beseiged jerusalem, which had a smallish garrison force. I was pleased to see the sejuk Ai try its best to defend the town, as in the first time i was besieging i pressed end turn and armys from all over the AIs empire came to help in the seige attacking me with 3-4 stacks in 2 different battles which were tough tho i came thru as winner.

SO far everything seems good, will update here any more findings using the xai.

Last edited by Socal_infidel; February 28, 2008 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: First test on XAI

The diplomatic levels have not been adjusted yet, also are you positive they have been asking you for alliances? Make sure you post your relations and stuff first. If you are being nice to everyone, you can make alliances easier. I have only had trade agreements as the Hungarians.

This AI has specific rules for good relations between factions with your own religions, and not so good for Ortho - Catholic, Ortho to Islam and pretty much hates between catholic and Islam. (these levels are adjustable)

I will be testing sieges this week, did the town you take have walls? If it doesn't the unit's will stay and protect the center of the town.
    Last edited by xeryx; February 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    The diplomatic levels have not been adjusted yet, also are you positive they have been asking you for alliances? Make sure you post your relations and stuff first. If you are being nice to everyone, you can make alliances easier. I have only had trade agreements as the Hungarians.

This AI has specific rules for good relations between factions with your own religions, and not so good for Ortho - Catholic, Ortho to Islam. pretty much hate between catholic and Islam.

I will be testing sieges this week, did the town you take have walls? If it doesn't the unit's will stay and protect the center of the town.
    In regards to sieges, I saw the enemy deploy intelligently when I tried to take the rebel city of Antioch as the Armenians. That garrison has a decent number of Armenian Archers which the AI positioned on the walls along with Spearmen to guard them.

They avoided they whole put everybody in the town square and wait it out approach I've seen before. They also used their cavalry intelligently. They sent their Anatolian Cavalry from one gate to the other once it was apparent I was going to try to barge in from the side gate and avoid a frontal assault.

Also once it became apparent that I was also going to try to take their walls with the siege towers, they deployed more spearmen up there. A rather bloody affair.

All in all, was impressed.

i was asked by only catholic factions for alliances as egypt...
    found it very hard to get my fallow islamic nations to be friends with me so i guess there must be something up there...

as far the seige it had walls and the enamy cav wanted to come get me but couldnt and my cav wouldnt go get them, luckly i had much infantry...

in feild battles the ai seems ok, like i have had fragmented 3 part armies attacking me and instead of all coming on 1 by 1, the retreted and gathered there forces which was nice to see..

so far about 50 turns in things seem good apart from my apparant good relations with catholic nations....

I'm giving this a try too, playing as the Armenians, and so far it's been a lot more fun than with the original PDER AI. The 4 major powers of the east are going to war with each other quite regularly - though none of them has really made anything resembling a breakthrough yet. I'm being rather careful not to alienate any of them at the moment (though I'm about to go after the Run Turks as they seem pretty weak) so I've not had any major battles yet, but my conflicts with the rebels seem to have been harder.

Quote Originally Posted by aarronpeake View Post
    i was asked by only catholic factions for alliances as egypt...
    found it very hard to get my fallow islamic nations to be friends with me so i guess there must be something up there...

as far the seige it had walls and the enamy cav wanted to come get me but couldnt and my cav wouldnt go get them, luckly i had much infantry...

in feild battles the ai seems ok, like i have had fragmented 3 part armies attacking me and instead of all coming on 1 by 1, the retreted and gathered there forces which was nice to see..

so far about 50 turns in things seem good apart from my apparant good relations with catholic nations....
    Then there is something wrong, either with your installation, or the files. Catholics will not make friends easily with Islam ( you have to be like a very Saintly)..I will check into this tonight to verify. EDIT: I verified the label is correct in the descr_strat.txt file. You didn't put that file in the Data\Directory did you? It belongs in the maps\imperial campaign...directory

The "cohesion" of the units has been drastically loosened up, this is not Rome total war. This allows for much more fluid battles. It feel much more real too me this way. You get way more one on one combat, without units just standing around.
    Last edited by xeryx; February 27, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

hmm yeah maybe i did omething wrong then, is there anyway the xai files can be uploaded so i can extract them straight into my pder, coz im not great at putting files in my games and it insures i get the right xai to test properly

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by aarronpeake View Post
    hmm yeah maybe i did omething wrong then, is there anyway the xai files can be uploaded so i can extract them straight into my pder, coz im not great at putting files in my games and it insures i get the right xai to test properly
    Xeryx is going to be away for a few days. I'll try tonight or tomorrow morning to upload the latest files we've been using in our PDER test

Cheers, appreciate your taking the time to post feedback!

Cheers would be awesome if you could!

Actually, I am not leaving..I will just not be at work!! I will be working on the mod at least for part of my days, and then playing PDER.

BTW: I seriously tweaked the BAI for skirmishing. Here are the latest files. They were engaging out at too far of a range (which was beyond the javelins range). I am not done yet, but wanted to include you guys in the progression, because your cool.

XAI can be downloaded, just click the logo in my signature.
    Last edited by xeryx; February 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM.

lol thanks for that so the zip is all i need? just put it straight in my data folder? sorry im not good at all this just want to get the instructions right

Yes, these two files go into the data folder, overwrite the old files.

The XAI was using the default AI settings. In default, there are no religious rules to prevent alliances from rival religions.
    Last edited by xeryx; February 27, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

thanks

put the new files in looks alot better when the enemy sallys forth i'll test more later

Here it is guys, this is the one !! Matrix style!! I really need you to test the hell out of these files!! I believe it is right on the line between chaos and discipline!! I worked on the formations one more time!! The skirmishing is done. I am going to work on some of the ranges for engagement and detection. overall though this BAI is 85% done So PLEASE, test it and give some more feedback. Test open battles and sieges. I am signing off for the night see you tomorrow.

EDIT: HERE is the pretty much final adjustments, just waiting on your feedback now!! This pack includes everything you need. Sorry there isn't an installer, but I put the the zipped files in folders to separate where they go.

I am extremely pleased with the Battle AI now!! formations are very MUCH improved, there is enough chaos, but the formations will hold, and reform properly. All ranges are adjusted where they need to be, and taking small settlements will be much harder. Be aware the AI will try an find week spots in you line, and push through!! It is very aggressive, once engaged in battle. Your troop losses will go up significantly, compared to Vanilla!! and other AI's On average I still manage victories (equal forces), but usually lose 30-50% of my men. I used to only lose about 10-25% That is the best we can do, without moral controls.
    Last edited by xeryx; March 01, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Click on loga, to get the latest files
    Last edited by xeryx; March 01, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

awesoem dude i wil 'test the hell out of it' as soon as i get in and let you know what i think

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast