Thread: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic review

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic review

Knights of the Old Republic

Introduction:

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..."; we all have seen this time and again in the cinemas,
    our DVD Star Wars sessions, in our PC's... Thus is how this game starts, with the classic yellow fonded text scrolling up and disappearing in space (in the far top side of your monitor, that is), taking your imagination with it for the adventures that lie ahead. And you would be exactly right if you were thinking of epic adventures, for that is what KOTOR delivers. However, first things first:

The story begins 4,000 before the rise of the Galactic Empire and the events told in the movies, in a time where both Jedi and Sith are abundant and battle throughout the Galaxy for domination. The story explains that you kick off in the middle of another great war between the Force sensitives. The Sith are lead by two former Jedi Knights, Revan and his apprentice, Malak, and possess the greatest Sith armada ever seen in a Star Wars saga. Many Jedi's have fallen either in battle or swore allegiance to the Dark Lord Revan in their helpless efforts to be spared.

That was a year ago from the game start: in the meantime, the Jedi in a desperate effort have managed to board the capital ship of Darth Revan and kill him in single combat. However, against common sense, instead of the Sith disappearing after loosing their Master, Revan's apprentice, Malak, has assumed command of the Sith and rules with ruthless wits and iron will. He continues the galactic conquest and nothing seems able to stop him from bringing an early Galactic empire. So, the Jedi, ever creative, set out another board party to kill Malak too. In that point the music halts, the camera lowers and you gasp in amazement for the first scene you witness...

The official KOTOR box

Gameplay:

The gameplay is fairly easy; you move with the W, S, A & D keys, you attack by using a handy pause - choose your next action - depause system simply by clicking on the enemy you wish to dispatch first. There's no easier way to interact with the environment, pick up objects etc that the way KOTOR presents you: you simply move the mouse pointer above the item, you click, your character approaches the item and performs chosen action. The camera is a 3rd person cam and a very well placed cam that is, something that spares you from the acrobatics to see your enemy. All in all, gameplay is simply relaxing, giving you the time to thing the action instead of what was the button for performing that cool critical hit.

CRAP! Wrong turn!!!

Audio:

While not performed by the London Symphony Orchestra nor composed by John Williams (at least to my knowledge), the music is atmospheric, reminding Star Wars deeply, without though following cliches like playing the "Imperial March" tune every time the Sith lord comes by the screen etc. Instead, I believe that it has provided some cool themes for the Sith mostly ("Darth Malak's theme" is extremely good!) but some good for the Jedi as well. Except the music, you will listen almost every alien talking to its native language "SW style" with some nice to the eye blue subtitles, explaining the fuss of some species. Also, the best part of Star Wars is also present: Lightsaber, plaster, laser cannons, X-wing (well, its equivalent...) lasers etc audio is kept true to the movie and adds much to the gameplay, getting you all exited to swing your lightsaber one last time!

Plot:

Easily one of the best plots in an RPG -- I am sorry but if I say anything more, I am in danger of getting carried away and revealing some important stuff along. So, play it and see for yourself: trust me...

Re playability value:

The re playability value of this RPG is tremendous as there are many things you can skip the first time you play the game -- simply said, you can be surprised even the fourth time you play KOTOR. Also, since there are alternative endings, you can go ahead and try and see what will happen if you choose option "a" instead of option "b"...

Who could have done this? Meh, deep down, you already know...

Game Features:

Engage in this saga set in the Golden Age of the Republic - over 4,000 years before the first Star Wars film, when both Jedi and Sith number in the thousands. With the Galaxy reeling from a recent conflict with the Dark Lords, the ongoing battle between the Jedi and the Sith rages on. Your actions determine the outcome of this colossal galactic war - and your destiny as a Jedi.
    • Immersive, action-packed Star Wars role playing experience with customizable and evolving playable characters.
    • Your group, comprised of up to 3 characters, can include humans, droids, Twi'leks, Wookiees and more.
    • Fast paced mini-games -- such as racing swoop bikes, or manning turret guns.
    • Journey spans ten different worlds ranging from the familiar to the new.
    • Locations include Tatooine, Sith world of Korriban, Jedi Academy on Dantooine and Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk.
    (from KOTOR.com)

PC System Requirements:

Required\Recommended - Computer: 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible computer Processor: Intel PIII 1 GHz or AMD Athlon 1 GHz \ 1.6 GHz AMD or Intel processor Operating System: Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP RAM (Win 98) 128 MB 512 MB RAM (Win ME/2000/XP) 256 MB \ 512 MB Hard Disk Installation: 4.0 GB CD ROM or CD/DVD ROM Drive: 4X DirectX
    Note: DirectX may require the "latest" drivers for your particular hardware. Video Card: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required ATI Radeon 9200 or better, NVidia GeForce4 Ti or better Supported Chipsets at Time of Release ATI Radeon 8500/9000/9200 \
    ATI Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800
    NVIDIA GeForce 2/3/4 family
    NVIDIA GeForceFX family

Additional Chipsets supported. For a complete list of supported 3D cards, please consult the Troubleshooting guide, or visit the Technical Support section of the LucasArts Website at www.lucasarts.com. Sound CardInput Device
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0b is included. 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible Audio Device required Keyboard and mouse required

Don't you mess with the Wookie!

Awards given:

Kotor was proclaimed the Best RPG of 2004 and was named best and most awaited game by a number of top magazines like "PC Gamer". Finally, in 2007 it was named as Game Spy's Game of the Year (?) and one of the most memorable games ever. As you can see, you will not regret playing KOTOR...

My Personal score:

For all the aforementioned reasons, I believe that KOTOR would easily score a 90+ for all players standards, unless if you deeply hate the Star Wars saga...

Some in-game takes... *eye candy, anyone?*

The poor lad must think that he'll take the femme Jedi by surprise...

Evidence that Master Windu is actually older than Yoda; here, you see him battling Dark Jedis 4,000 years before Episode I.

OOC: Tell me if you liked it, lads!

Here's the baaaad guy... Open if you dare:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Kritias; February 27, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Default Re: Star Wars: Kights Of The Old Republic review

Well, I don't want to be too harsh, but it's more like a commercial to buy the game, not a review.

You should have wrote about your own experience of playing the game of how you thought what was good , bad, or to what needs improvement etc...

Ooops, sorry about that -- I am a KOTOR fan for some time now so I guess I got carried away...

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

You spelt "Knights" wrong in the title btw.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Default Re: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic review

Edited; thanks for showing this up!