Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Corvinvs/Triarivs (II)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Corvinvs/Triarivs

I ask the Princeps to open the floor for debate ASAP.
    "Approved. The Senate will hear firstly the case of Tribune Lepidus. The floor is yours, Senator." said a grim Brutus; a catfight between the Tribunes was the last thing he was interested seeing that moment, while at the same time the Syracusan campaign was in jeopardy.

Perhaps we should assign someone without such a vital role, Princeps. Perhaps the as of yet unoccupied senator Claudius Fidelius, if he accepts? (Voltaire)
    Brutus was skeptical on this proposal; his plan to be Proconsul wasn't working well and now he would either refuse the proposal of the Tribune and show openly that he is striving to succeed a Proconsulship or accept and lose Sardinia and Corsica. After a while, Brutus had decided:

"Agreed, Tribune. As Princeps Senatus, I will endorse this nomination, if Senator Fidelius accepts also, by opening the vote for him. I await your decision, Fidelius."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius stands up after sitting quietly and listening to the preceding debates and decisions.

I must say that our current consul Marcus Valerius is doing perfectly good job as Senior Consul. I am in full agreement with the proposition of sending him to Sicily with as many legions as he needs to quell those retched Greeks and Carthaginians. Soon they will be fighting against us otherwise.

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Consvl Corvinvs quietly rises from his chair to speak:

"I don't mean to interupt, but I officially appoint Senator Marivs as the Censor for this term. Congratulations!"
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Brutus applauded the appointment of Marius Parthicus as Censor for this term. Then, after the thunderous applaud has ceased, Brutus demanded the floor to address the Senate with an important matter:

"Brothers, we have not yet concluded for the Sicilian campaign's fate. I hope that this will be sorted in today's session, nay? We need to reach a decision, Senators! In that order, I give you some topics for discussion

I. Should the campaign aim to the full conquest of the island or to push the Greeks back from the eastern part (conquest Catana)?

II. Should we aim to better our relations with the Sicilians in the future, keeping them as a puppet-state or should we completely annihilate their presence?

III. What should be our diplomatic stance towards the Carthaginians; friends or foes?

IV. Do we need more legions drafted for transportation to Sicily, except the existing two legions?

Please keep the debate along these lines so that we can reach a conclusion."

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Tiber stood back up and again questioned about the military. That was his main focus, defense of Rome and her provinces.

"Other Senators, May I request some information on the Praetorian Legion?...by this I mean the defense of our own city we sit in. What Defense do we have? Also who Leads it?....As for the threats, the barbarians are relentless. I don't disagree with Consvl Corvinvs, that his son could valiantly lead Rome to glory over the Barbarians, but sending a legion to support the Consvl's son would be in our best interest in my opinion. Though I might just speaking out of limited knowledge of the Northern Border."

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ON THE TOPIC OF THE TRIBUNE'S VETO

Tribune Lepidus rises to speak in what is his first large speech in the senate. He strides forward to the senate floor, his outward confidence masking the rattling nerves inside him. He speaks

"Senators, you know my case. This veto, made at a most inappropriate time on a vote to begin an offensive in a current war is grossly irresponsible. Stopping an important vote such as this for the tribune's own irrational fear of monarchical takeover is ludicrous at best."

Senators, I fully support the tribune's right to voice his concerns or comments about the abilities of the Consul or the strategy adopted. But this veto, besides wasting precious time here in the Cvria, is wasting time in the field! We need to act quickly! We should be striking now! But instead, we are forced to debate a most dishonorable use of a noble power.

My friends, the tribune's veto is a sacred act, and when used in the best interests of the people is a noble and wonderful thing. To protect the poor from the machinations of the elite, that is what it was made for. But instead, what we have here is ultimately an inglorious, unjust, and utterly wrong use of an important power. This veto advanced no plebs cause. This veto stopped no injustice. This veto must be overridden."

The Tribune returns to his seat and sits.
    Last edited by Winter; February 28, 2008 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"Senator Tiber, the city garrison is well manned, have no fears on our safety here in Rome. As for North, I believe that we could send a legion to act as back-up to the frontal garrisons but I doubt the free peoples will attack any time soon"

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Is it just me, or when something is brought to debate by the PS aren't we only supposed to debate that...

OOC: Let's do that then... I was simply answering to the post above your oration. Care starting the debate?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by me starting the debate
    ON THE TOPIC OF THE TRIBUNE'S VETO

Tribune Lepidus rises to speak in what is his first large speech in the senate. He strides forward to the senate floor, his outward confidence masking the rattling nerves inside him. He speaks

"Senators, you know my case. This veto, made at a most inappropriate time on a vote to begin an offensive in a current war is grossly irresponsible. Stopping an important vote such as this for the tribune's own irrational fear of monarchical takeover is ludicrous at best."

Senators, I fully support the tribune's right to voice his concerns or comments about the abilities of the Consul or the strategy adopted. But this veto, besides wasting precious time here in the Cvria, is wasting time in the field! We need to act quickly! We should be striking now! But instead, we are forced to debate a most dishonorable use of a noble power.

My friends, the tribune's veto is a sacred act, and when used in the best interests of the people is a noble and wonderful thing. To protect the poor from the machinations of the elite, that is what it was made for. But instead, what we have here is ultimately an inglorious, unjust, and utterly wrong use of an important power. This veto advanced no plebs cause. This veto stopped no injustice. This veto must be overridden."

The Tribune returns to his seat and sits.

Originally posted by ME, trying to open the debate: "Brothers, we have not yet concluded for the Sicilian campaign's fate. I hope that this will be sorted in today's session, nay? We need to reach a decision, Senators! In that order, I give you some topics for discussion

I. Should the campaign aim to the full conquest of the island or to push the Greeks back from the eastern part (conquest Catana)?

II. Should we aim to better our relations with the Sicilians in the future, keeping them as a puppet-state or should we completely annihilate their presence?

III. What should be our diplomatic stance towards the Carthaginians; friends or foes?

IV. Do we need more legions drafted for transportation to Sicily, except the existing two legions?

Please keep the debate along these lines so that we can reach a conclusion."
    OOC: You were saying?

IN: Brutus rose to address the senate;

"Brothers! I honestly think that Lepidus is right on the subject; a veto on such a decision... We are at war, Senators! We must act quickly now that we have the enemies pinned in their cities, instead of giving them time to reorganize and attack as anew. I support the override of this veto."

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: I thought we were debating the veto motion.

ooc: Isn't the Sicilian campaign a part of the motion vetoed?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Okay whatever it doesn't matter, lets just talk about the actual veto then.

ooc- i vetoed him in controlling sicily, i want him up north dealing with the barbarians. I think he is a great senior consul, you guys are missing my point.
    back to charachter- v equestris comes up in a foul mood
    i dont see why my veto should be overriden, i am just saying the most powerful roman should be up north dealing with those infamous barbarians. I also would like a reserve legion placed near rome. In sicily none should be our allies, we should conquer them. Sicily has large grain farms there and will keep our army fed.
    on overiding the veto-
    yeah 0 Neh I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The motion is not yet up for vote.

The fact is the Barbarian tribes of the North are peaceful, at least towards us. They represent NO unified thread whatsoever. Sicily, however, is a warzone, and one that has supreme strategic importance. It deserves the attention of the Senior Consul.

And Tribune, just because you veto the war in the south, it does not mean that we will just automatically send the Consul north to attack peaceful tribes.

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Consvl Corvinvs, confused with Tribune Equestris' last statement, rises from his chair to speak:

"Tribune, I have informed the Senate many times that the north is secured. It is obvious that our main, and at this point, only real threat is the Kingdom of Syracuse and its' Sicilian allies. If "I am the most powerful Roman", then why would you send me to a place where there is no threat? Shouldn't I vanquish the enemies that actually pose a threat to us? While you sit here and veto the rightful actions of the Senate, our young men are dieing in Sicily and they will continue to die until someone is sent to lead them!"

The Senate Hall is full of applause and cheering. Half of the Senate stands up and claps as if Jupiter just descended from the Heavens and announced that he would lead Rome to further glory.

ooc: Yes, now I realize I exaggerated a bit.
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; February 28, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Alright then, I've had enough. I motion for a vote on the motion to override the previous veto.

ooc-i dont understand how do you overide a veto without 3/4 of approval of senate. You have to vote to get that. A little self serving Maxinius? I dont really care about this can we just move though. I just thought a good debate on where the senior consul should be would be good. Plz feel fine to delete any of my posts about this topic. I want peace.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Fine then. The PS isn't here and since he isn't lets just vote. I don't think he'd mind.

" Motion to override the previous veto

I yea N Nay"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast