Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Victorian Total War ?

Default Victorian Total War ?

What do think about making a Victorian TW after Empire and it's more than likely Napoleonic add-on. Dates between 1840-1905 (I know Victoria dies 1901). It would have Zulu war, Sudan, French-Arab wars, Crimea and American Civil war. It would have all the formation that are in empire like line, square and skirmish. Give me your thoughts.
    The King over the water!

masterbaker's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Victorian Total War ?

It just seems too similar to me, except the battles might be slightly more tactical thanks to improvements in firearms.

I think CA try to give a different feel to each consecutive game, and don't simply advance chronologically, otherwise they could have just followed M2 with Renaissance:Total War.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

I think this idea has potential ! Victoria Total War would take place in an other period then Empire: Total War. Victoria would take place in a period where industry gets a more important position. A period of changement !

As an expansion I think it's a good idea, there's plenty of meat in the era, from various tribal conflicts to massive wars. There's bolt action rifles, Iron clad ships(even a submarine), machine guns and breach loading artillary, observation balloons, it's almost 1st world war.

And the uniforms are very 'posh'.

Icon3 Re: Victorian Total War ?

There's bolt action rifles, Iron clad ships(even a submarine), machine guns and breach loading artillary, observation balloons, it's almost 1st world war.
    It is, but without the cruel reputation and with more grandeur.

P.S.: Is it allowed to post twice or more in one thread ?

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Yeah, why not?

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    I think this idea has potential ! Victoria Total War would take place in an other period then Empire: Total War. Victoria would take place in a period where industry gets a more important position. A period of changement !
    Yes, but this era is directly after the era in which ETW will take place. ETW will probably finish around 1850, so a VicTW would be very similar. I personally would want CA to put at least 1 game between ETW and a Victorian release.

Quote Originally Posted by masterbaker View Post
    Yes, but this era is directly after the era in which ETW will take place. ETW will probably finish around 1850, so a VicTW would be very similar. I personally would want CA to put at least 1 game between ETW and a Victorian release.
    I think your dates are bit out Master B as empire is set in the late 17th and 18th centuries. Empire will probably end about 1800 (I could be wrong) and an add-on will be made for the Napoleonic wars 1790-1815. The Victorian era is not to be missed out.:brit:
    The King over the water!

I'm sure ETW is set to start around 1700. We'll assume 1707, because the Acts of Union seems a significant starting point. Say CA go for the shortest time-scale likely, 1 turn = 6 months, that would mean 225 turns (Med2's turn count) would take it up to around 1819. If all of the Americas and parts of Asia are included its likely there'll be more to do than in M2, so more turns will be necessary. That's why my estimate is 1850.

We shouldn't assume the Napoleonic Wars are an add-on. The vanilla game may well cover the French Revolution within itself. After all, CA has talked a lot about including different styles of government within Empire.

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Not a whole lot of significant wars during the Victorian age. Also this period was a period of great change in warfare, with armoured steamships, repeater rifles etc. etc. Victorian age warfare was by and large very different from the 18th century method of warfare. Not only would it mean changing a lot of AI to represent these change, the art department would have to an awful lot of work to put together something convincingly Victorian looking.

If you want a good setting for Total War, you are best served looking for it in the 17th century, when the Europeans had some spectacularly large and complicated wars. This would make it a prequel expansion, almost a tradition for the Total War series. Fighting was on the whole fairly similar, and ships in particular nearly identical. That would save CA's art department a lot of work. And going by stock skins one can be forgiven for thinking the graphics artists are a bunch of bone idle slackers.
    Last edited by Elmar; February 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spellink faux pas.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm IRON CLAD WARSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

MITRELOUSE!!!!!!!!!! GATLING!!!!!!!!!!!

CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE!!!!!!

PICKELHAUBE!!!!!

OMG!! but srsly.............I doubt CA about that but the MODDERS!!!

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

The period may have seen great change in warfare, but starting off with the same units as you finished with in Empire really doesn't excite me.

Icon3 Re: Victorian Total War ?

The period may have seen great change in warfare, but starting off with the same units as you finished with in Empire really doesn't excite me.
    Why ? In this period, changes succeeded each other very fast. After about 10 years, your army could look very different.
    f.ex.:
    starting point is 1815: your army consists of grenadiers and riflemen with a Brown Bess rifle.

1860: some turns later: your army consists of early- modern troops, armed with gatlings, ships with iron plates, etc. ...

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by masterbaker View Post
    Oddly enough, that's the greatest attraction for me. I grow attached to units that are with me for a long time, they become like old, pixelated friends.
    It's a major annoyance for me that in TW you couldn't retrain units to the next evolution in their class. That kick ass unit of principes that helped you conquer all the known world? Couldn't get enlisted as a legionnaire after the reform. How lame was that?
    If in Empire I can now stay as faithful to my early fusiliers as they have stayed faithful to me, I'd be all for it.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Black Watch 42 View Post
    What do think about making a Victorian TW after Empire and it's more than likely Napoleonic add-on. Dates between 1840-1905 (I know Victoria dies 1901). It would have Zulu war, Sudan, French-Arab wars, Crimea and American Civil war. It would have all the formation that are in empire like line, square and skirmish. Give me your thoughts.
    I've mentioned this before, and I stand by my previous statements. It would be a great idea, and make use of the gunpowder engine without getting too modern...

Sig made by XKillerX

"From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
    The crownless again shall be king.
    "

The_Bulgar_Slayer's Avatar Biarchus

This would be fun. I would love to fight the American Civil War, but wouldn't mind a Napoleon expansion either even if it is in the vanilla game. I liked Kingdoms a lot because it covered areas I never reached in the original campaign game before beating it. I never even made it to the gunpowder age, let alone the Timurids and the New World.

Official Byzantine Historian for Tzardoms:Total War

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

I think in a way it will be good but nother part of me tells me it might be bland?? anyone else share.Maybe im just over the top but it seems to bland to me.Civil War will be a fun part to play though becuase I allways loved to fight battles in the Civil War Total war LoL would be fun.
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Elzabar's Avatar Krazy Kiwi

At first, Black Watch, when you started talking in the "What will CA do next" thread thing, I didnt really like the idea of a Victorian TW. But the more I think about it, the better it seems. I hope CA does a Kingdoms style expansion for ETW, with Napoleanic, Victorian and some other things.

Icon10 Re: Victorian Total War ?

ow ! I like the kingdoms-like idea with Napoleonic and Victorian. Maybe another 2 expansions in it like in kingdoms: f.ex: + 30-years war and WW I ????

Darsh's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Black Watch 42 View Post
    and you forget important conflicts like the Franco-Austrian war, Austro-Prussian war, Franco-Prussian war, Opium wars 1and 2, Mexican war, Russo- Japan war.
    I think the title: Industrial TW would be better than Victorian TW because UK didn't participate at the half of these conflicts.

Légion étrangčre : « Honneur et Fidélité »

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast