Thread: Tactics Arena: Online

Icon3 Tactics Arena: Online

TACTICS ARENA

For those who love strategy games I would like to introduce Tactics Arena Online. TAO was founded by Digital Seed Entertainment (a one man organization) in 2003. TAO is an online multiplayer, turn based strategy game with the look of battle chess yet much more interactive. Since it's release TAO gathered a solid base of players which in turn spawned a number of competitive clan communities. The appeal of TAO is in its simplicity yet attention to detail. The low learning curve makes the game fun for all ages. TAO offers limited free access as well as subscriptions for those desiring permanent accounts, additional content and full support.

Here my archer lands a flank attack on our enemy's archer (in the pretty pink).
    view

The basics of play include two opposing players who face off against each other by controlling an army of ten units (think chess pieces) on a grid. Players are allowed to play one unit per turn. The first player is chosen randomly and decides to move, move and attack (if the opportunity presents itself) or pass their turn. Each unit has a set number of spaces it can move, but that is where the similarities to Chess end. Each unit also has a variable range of attack and damage based on their ability and class. For example Knights are capable of dealing out great amounts of damage with their swords while assassins do less damage, but can attack multiple enemies within their area of attack.

view

Strategy fiends will love that there are also several tactical factors to consider in the game when it comes to unit strategy such as type of armor and the type of attack as well as how an attack is executed all of which are based on percentages. If the opportunity arises the player may choose to execute a frontal, flank or rear attack on an enemy unit. Frontal attacks suffering from greater resistance against good armor while a rear attack is generally a successful hit.

Here my pyromage is about to drop bombs!
    view

All accounts gain a statistical ranking that helps players gauge who to match themselves up with for a battle. You may also find the competitive challenge is enhanced during a game on occasion when players are notified all winners of current matches will be awarded with one additional unit (for later use in customizing their battle deployments.) Sadly these unit give aways are not permanent for the free accounts which are wiped about once a month.

Here you can see my assassin (right end) launching a double attack on the enemy knight and priest.
    view

Surrounded my assassin triple strikes the attackers.
    view

Registering an account is simple only requiring you to create a name and password for an initial free account. There are multiple servers available to choose from to handle large numbers of players. Each server has multiple rooms for you to look for opponents. Chat is initiated in the lobby by pressing enter typing your message and pressing enter again to send.

Here my knight wails on the back of the adversary.
    view

I've been playing Tactics Arena pretty much since it was released and overall I think you will enjoy playing whether you choose to acquire a full subscription or just stick with a free account. I find it's minimum requirements make it a sure choice for when you are away from home or if your computer is unable to run high end retail games. The only requirement to play is a browser with the Flash plugin installed and of course internet access.

Although ahead most of the game the battle slightly shifted. Here I make a last stand with my lightening ward. I anit goin out like that!
    view

For more detailed information I highly recommend checking out the FAQ which feature very well designed guides to the units created by the players themselves. http://www.tacticsarena.com/faq/ Thanks for reading my review and I hope you will enjoy playing Tactics Arena.
    Last edited by Armatus; June 01, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Default Re: [REVIEW] Tactics Arena Online

After ending the contact with my previous host the images on this page had to be updated. I'll add some more in time.

Default Re: [REVIEW] Tactics Arena Online

Just thought I'd drop a well made video dramatization for anyone interested in what it looks like. Though this is heavily dramatized.