Thread: The Egyptian army

Default The Egyptian army

I have some questions regarding the Egyptians.

1:In the mod it is said that the Egyptians archers are heavily outdated. They have the composite bow, so the only different should be the recurved bow. So what makes them so outdated?

2:The Egyptian chariots look like wagons, or Heavy chariots like those of Babylon in the mod, shouldn't they be light and mobile?

3:The last one is regarding the khopesh. In the mod it is used like a sickle, however it should be edged on the outer side of the curve.

Thats all for now continue the good work

Default Re: The Egyptian army

Hi.

1. The main inferior aspect of the Egyptians was the tactical use of their archers. they had not developed the tactical archer/shieldbearer combination that would prove devastating in the east. The Persian Dathabam was a tactical unit that afforded their archers far better protection up close and from afar.

2. I'm not quite sure I follow on this one. The Elite Egyptian chariot is slightly larger due to the parasol we added but it is still far smaller than the Babylonian style. As for maneuverability, the RTW engine is pretty terrible at recreating chariot warfare, especially the Egyptian style. There really isn't much we can do to effect a better simulation of their tactics.

3. Thanks for pointing that out. That needs fixing.

Cheers for the help!

Thanks for answering.
    I'm not quite sure I follow on this one. The Elite Egyptian chariot is slightly larger due to the parasol we added but it is still far smaller than the Babylonian style. As for maneuverability, the RTW engine is pretty terrible at recreating chariot warfare, especially the Egyptian style. There really isn't much we can do to effect a better simulation of their tactics.
    I was referring to how they look, so you did answer well.

Thanks for pointing that out. That needs fixing.
    I'm glad I could help.

Just want to ask about the Egyptian chariots, they do look quite ungraceful i guess. I look at the Lydian chariots and they look wonderful, smaller and have more people on them. Then the Egyptian ones, look like a box, with only 2 people on them. Also the parasols look ugly. But if thats the historically accurate portrayal of Egyptian chariots then I'll shut up.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

maybe you might want to talk more....
    http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/...cs/chariot.htm
    and...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Egyptian+chariots
    no evidence that chariot design changed sadly...

maybe you might want to talk more....
    http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/...cs/chariot.htm
    and...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Egyptian+chariots
    no evidence that chariot design changed sadly...
    That's why I asked about the design, they looked different than they do in the mod.

check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius Vatco View Post

check this out
    Wow. Where did you get that from (looks like another game)?

Isn't that form the game praetorians?

Yeah its from Praetorians.... would it be great if the chariots in ROP would look like that.?...

Last edited by Octavius Vatco; March 21, 2008 at 08:12 AM.

Yeah its from Praetorians.... would it be great if the chariots in ROP would look like that.?...:original:
    Yeah, it would be great, that's why I made that point.

They look very cool indeed - but maybe it'll use some more cpu power, seeing the huge amount of vertices required to make them so detailed. If it's the shape you like, and if it's more accurate than what we currently use, we could consider changing ours if we have enough resources
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

it doesnt need to be that very detailed actually, just the Egyptian look, some curves , its good.. I think...

They look very cool indeed - but maybe it'll use some more cpu power, seeing the huge amount of vertices required to make them so detailed. If it's the shape you like, and if it's more accurate than what we currently use, we could consider changing ours if we have enough resources :wink:
    Just changing the shape would be good enough, so if you can, change it please.