Thread: [RS AAR] A New Achilles?

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default [RS AAR] A New Achilles?

A NEW ACHILLES?
    A Greek Cities AAR by Jingle Bombs

This is my first AAR, I've looked at others and I thought it would be a good idea to do my own. Im a slight noob at Roma Surrectum, so this AAR could quite possibly end in tears, but I still intend to enjoy it anyway!

This AAR features the Greek Cities, and my attempt to play their campaign.
    Objectives:
    • To regain control of the Greek City States
    • To Bring Epirus, Pergamum and possibly Syracuse under Greek sovereignty through bribes or becoming protectorate states if necessary.
    • To destroy Macedon and the Successor States, and show them who their true Hellenic masters are
    Rules:
    • No cheats
    • All campaigning armies must be led by a general or family member
      unless in exceptional circumstances
    • Bribes, spies and assassins are ok
    • Always use battle timer
    • Alliances and ceasefires are ok, as long as they are strategically viable (ie, no weird alliances with gaul or sarmations)
    Settings
    • Campaign difficulty hard
    • Battle difficulty hard
    • FOW on
    • AUC year system
    INTRODUCTION

It is the year 473 AUC. The remaining Greek City states are in an unenviable position, Argos and Athens are in danger of being conquered by the ambitious Macedonians, Sparta lives independantly from Greece, and the only truly safe haven for the Greeks is the island of Rhodes, and even that is only a short distance from the Ptolemaic controlled city of Halicarnassus.

This is our leader, King Kleomenes, who now resides in Rhodes, but he and his youngest son and heir Memnon vow to return to Sparta, their birthplace.

Kleomenes' days are numbered and he knows it, His youngest son and most talented tactitian Memnon has sealed a pact with old Kleomenes to continue his mission of conquest after his death. [I don't have a picture of Memnon...He is *ahem* camera/tapestry shy]

PART 1 OF THE REIGN OF KLEOMENES

It is well known that Sparta trains the best troops in Greece, if not the whole mediterranean or even the world, and as Kleomenes and his family's place of origin, it was his first priority. Memnon, Greece's best and brightest general spent the summer rounding up troops from all over the Greek territories in the Agean, and when the temperate mediterranean winter rolled around, he and his army of around 1,600 men marched on Sparta. Memnon knew that a direct assault on the city would be suicide, and the image of his men being bottlenecked on the walls and gateways of sparta reminded him unpleasantly of the battle of Thermopylae. He was quite satisfied with waiting the siege out. Sparta had no allies to aid her and Memnon was confident he could take the city without spilling a drop of blood.

Memnon had made his first mistake. The defiant Spartans sallied forth from their walls with the aid of a large force of Spartans returning to the city with their King, Vindex. So Sparta's fate was to be decided in blood. So much the better, thought Memnon as he began to ready his troops.

THE BATTLE OF SPARTA

Memnon deploys his troops as below:
    1. The first line is made up of peltasts, ready to engage the enemy and bring down as many of the spartan hoplites from afar before retreating behind the lines to act as light supporting troops.
    2. The second line is made up of Rhodian hoplites and some auxiliary hoplites (note: I refer to the basic hoplites that arent from a specific city as auxiliaries, as my attacking armies are composed mostly of the city specific ones).
    3. The third line is composed of the more heavily armed Cretan Hoplites.
    4. The Athenians form the fourth line, ready as powerful reserves. These are the only troops in Memnon's army that can truly go toe to toe with the spartan hoplites, so he is saving them for the crucial moment.
    5. Behind these are the archers.
    6. And behind the archers are The Aetolian cavalry and Memnon, accompanied by his bodyguard.

The Spartan cavalry are the first to engage, and Memnon counters them with his Aetolians.

The Aetolians are victorious, and the Spartan King Vindex is killed as his cavalry try to flee. The Aetolians withdraw back behind the lines as the first of the spartans charge to engage hand-to-hand on both of memnon's flanks.

But while the spartans engage in a vicious melee, their slower auxiliaries lag behind, and Memnon's troops quickly surround the spartans.

Memnon's Elite Athenians move up to attack the weak auxiliaries, who soon withdraw after taking heavy casualties, allowing Memnon to completely surround and destroy the spartan warriors while his Aetolians get ready to chase down and slay the fleeing enemies.

The last of the spartans fall in battle, achieving their so-called 'beautiful death', and Memnon's victory is achieved, though at a large cost -- just under half of his brave soldiers now lie dead.

Memnon knows that in order to gain the support of the people of Sparta, and hopefully its elite warriors, which he will need to conquer the powerful successors, he will need to be kind to the city. He imposes a liberal occupation of the city and begins the overseeing of new construction projects to improve Sparta's Infastructure, and hopefully soon it will be ready for the coming war with Macedon and Epirus, which Kleomenes and Memnon both know will stretch Greece's military to it's limits.

To be continued.

Last edited by Jingles; February 24, 2008 at 07:19 AM.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: A New Achilles?

Very nice,keep it up

Nice AAR.

Roma surrectum, the only real rtw experience

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Good going!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Good AAR - have you thought about cropping the pics at all? It will help focus on the action.

Yeah I plan to crop existing ones Ive already taken for the next update, but I realised yesterday that you can use F5 F6 and F7 to make all the buttons, minimap and stuff disappear, much better for taking screenshots.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Well, that's me told - I didn't know that!

PART 2 OF THE REIGN OF KLEOMENES

With Sparta now back under the influence of the City states, Kleomenes could think about recovering the rest of the pelopponesus, and then moving onto the great city of Corinth, and the war with Macedon, as well as its weaker neighbour Epiros if needs be. However, no sooner had Sparta been conquered, The Knossans, another group of Hellenic peoples living on the eastern end of Crete had gathered their own forces and marched on the city of Kydonia, which was as good as defenseless, as its troops were busy serving with Memnon's army on the mainland. Under the King's orders, Memnon and his army left Sparta and boarded a fleet of ships bound for Crete, leaving but a skeleton garrison behind in Sparta. Without a chance to rest or re-train, Memnon's troops landed on Crete and immediatly set upon breaking the siege of Kydonia. Memnon attacked the Knossan army at Dusk.

Memon deployed as he did against the Spartans, but this time the Rhodians, who had taken horrific casualties against the Spartan hoplites and were now reduced to two small units covered the flanks while the Cretans take up the bulk of the first line.

Memnon marches up the hill where the smaller Knossan army awaits, and soon comes under fire from the enemy peltasts.

The eager Knossans charge down the hill to meet the Greeks, but only have enough troops to cover Memnon's right side. The Knossans are taking a gamble, hoping that the Greeks will break under the impetus of a downhill charge. The Greeks stand firm,
    and the Knossans are quickly out flanked and their relatively inexperienced soldiers are cut down.

Those Knossans who flee are shot down by Greek arrows.

Memnon has won a relatively easy victory, and marches on to the undefended town of Knossos, driving away the rebellious populace, so that law abiding greek colonists can be introduced to the area.

Meanwhile....

There seems to be a build up of Macedonian troops in Corinth as well as naval activity...

Which is revealed to be the result of a large army of Pergamum's soldiers on the mainland, which Greek spies reveal to be led by Pergamum's King.

Elsewhere, near Sparta, a rebel Greek army is loitering dangerously close to the border.

It looks as if The whole of Greece is about to go to pot, and Kleomenes dispatches a diplomat to Asia minor to see if The Greeks can find a temporary ally in Pergamum.

To be continued.

[Sorry I didnt crop the pics btw, but I had alot of trouble uploading the cropped versions, so I had to make do with these....]

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

They are pretty good anyway. Looking forward to more!

Looks great, JB. I don't mind the non-cropping (although I agree it can help focus the action). My personal preference is to get of the big banners, but that's just me.

By the way, I'm enjoying the way this is playing out. Please keep it up.

+ Rep . . .
    Lost In Transition

Still trying to find my place in the world . . .

Yeah I recently turned off the banners for taking screenshots, and it dosent seem to affect the gameplay, so they're staying off.

Also, when I referred to the rebel cretans as Knossans, I was wrong, historically those chaps were actually called the Minoans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle_Bombs View Post
    . Also, when I referred to the rebel cretans as Knossans, I was wrong, historically those chaps were actually called the Minoans.
    really, i though the Minoans were before the Myceaneans and lived around 1000 BC...are you sure about that

really great btw
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Well, I could be wrong, but I made up the word Knossans for them. The Minoans were the ones who lived in Knossos, named after their famous king Minos. But Minos died way before the Roma Surrectum timeline begins so you're probably right.

I haven't updated this AAR in a long time now, mainly because of exams, but also because When I installed M2 gold, I had to clear out as much space as possible (the damn thing eats up 12GB) and pretty much everything had to go, including RS briefly... Basically, I have lost ALL my save games, so not only my greek campaign is gone but also my huge Roman and Getae ones *sob*.

To top it off Imageshack has decided it hates me so I have to find an alternate means of uploading images, as well as the fact that I cant put in the last huge update. I am rather vexed to say the least that technology has failed me again, and so this AAR is pretty much dead in the water. Believe me, I wish it wasn't. I'm definately going to start a new AAR soon though, inspired by Austen Bin's excellent AAR 'The Pontic Expedition'. I don't know which faction it will be about however so I'm open to suggestions.