Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why all these damned crash to desktops?!!

Default Why all these damned crash to desktops?!!

I get at least three CTD each session I play on this mod. My latest was a battle that I won that took about half an hour. But thanks to these CTD I will have to do it all over again seeing as it crashed STRAIGHT AFTER I HAD FINISHED THE BATTLE.

I hope you fix this for 2.0....

Default Re: Why all these damned crash to desktops?!!

ah yes. we can fix errors that we don't actually know anything about... have you downloaded all the patches? have you put RS on a clean install of RTW patched to 1.5? what faction were you playing as, which date, etc. etc?
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

I have the patches, says 1.5 in the corner, I installed it on a clean copy of RTW besides 2 old save games still on the memory. I'm using Armenia and not really too far into the campaign - maybe 50 turns.

I downloaded Roma Surrectum 1.5a as well but the crashes still remained, i've had them since I started the campaign.

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

You probably install mod in wrong direction! Tell what you do, step by step, please....

i get the same type of CTDs but i do not think it is because of RS. sometimes after very large battles it tends to CTDs when going back to the campaign map. if i had to guess it would have to be a memory leak occuring when its unloading all those resources..
    really pisses you off sometimes. after an exceptionally frustrating battle, i CTD'd and thats when i threw my headphones to the ground, lol.

i have had this problem myself with Vanilla RTW. not much you can do about it really.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Have a look at what services are running in the background on your system. Either use MSConfig (from the start>run) or use Advanced Windows Care Personal ( http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html ).

Also have you followed the recommendations about maintaining your PC (defrags etc)?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...98&postcount=1

I also get a random CTD at times after the battle has ended. I am yet to pinpoint the problem. I sometimes have Paint Shop Photo XI running in the background (the organizer takes a bit of memory) but I've also ha problems with Adobe Photoshop Premier (which doesn't have an organizer).

I've also had CTDs when I've been toggling the unit cards, command keys and radar map on the battlefield. It may be a combination of PF keys being pressed.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

This is very odd, because I have a test campaign that is 123 years in the running and I had NO CTD's until I destroyed all the buildings in 'Dimidi' in Africa and let it rebel. I had to go back to a previous save to get around that one. But other than that, there have been no battle CTD's, no reinforcement of 'occupy, enslave' city CTD's.

However, bear in mind that....as used to happen to me often in SPQR....a very graphically intense Mod such as RS can cause your Video card to get HOT...and maybe overheat. This will cause random and increasingly frequent CTD's if the card remains HOT.....and Battles are the number one culprit.

No matter how good your video card is, if it's overclocked, has a dirty or non- functional fan, or the inside of your PC looks like a 'House of Horror' with dust bunnies the primary occupant, it can and will get VERY hot. My son's PC has a VERY good video card, but the fan and heat sink tend to get choked with dust and gunk....in which case, it starts crashing ALL his games.

So check your video cards and make sure they are clean and well ventilated.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

as well as provide sufficient voltage to your RAM, it was crashing every single thing including explorer until i gave it a bit more.

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

I'v only been playing v1.5a for a few hours now as romans and have had No CTDs. I have had three battles with the free peoples armys so far. No problems as of yet. Played several custom battles with no problems. It is a good thing to have a clean Computer System. I clean mine every two months but thats just me.
    Last edited by HMonk; February 17, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

I've had one CTD in 1.5, two in 1.10b

I've had one crash to desktop in 1.5a. But I think it was just a random flook. It was during a battle in tarentum. But other than that I've had no other problems.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

It can't be that my pc is too dusty or too full up, I have 4gb of RAM a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS card, 250gb hard drive and I only got this pc at christmas. Ill have to try that defrag thing.

Might be a good idea
    I bought my PC over a year ago and it seems fine (mid spec)
    I've only had one CTD and that was the reinforcement bug

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

I think I've only ever had one CTD with RS and that was also after a fairly large battle, but in general I've found this mod to be very stable compared to some.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    No matter how good your video card is, if it's overclocked, has a dirty or non- functional fan, or the inside of your PC looks like a 'House of Horror' with dust bunnies the primary occupant, it can and will get VERY hot. My son's PC has a VERY good video card, but the fan and heat sink tend to get choked with dust and gunk....in which case, it starts crashing ALL his games.

So check your video cards and make sure they are clean and well ventilated.
    I did a spring clean the other week. There was a slight build up of dust in the case (the PC usually has a dust cover over it).

I've been looking at the temperatures on my Nvidia 8800GTX - it runs at around 70 degrees centigrade during a battle.

PC is well ventilated as the case sits on my desk with no obstructions.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
    I'v only been playing v1.5a for a few hours now as romans and have had No CTDs. I have had three battles with the free peoples armys so far. No problems as of yet. Played several custom battles with no problems. It is a good thing to have a clean Computer System. I clean mine every two months but thats just me.
    oh don't expect to experience any CTDs in only a few hours, but if you don't have any for weeks and weeks of constant playing, one should consider themselves lucky. i wonder if there is a log file that writes down the errors...

Could it be that you have Autosave enabled still? That can cause problems.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Yes I still have autosave on, but I won't be able to edit the text files of RS because Vista doesn't let me save the files after I make the changes.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Could it be that you have Autosave enabled still? That can cause problems.
    I've been playing with autosave off recently. It's just a case of remembering to save the game every now and then. Old habits die hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast