Thread: Divide Et Impera discussion

Stanislaw Poniatowski's Avatar Libertus

Default Divide Et Impera discussion

Alright, I wish I could have gotten a look at what you guys had done here a lot sooner but I've been away from Total War Center for a long time.

About two years ago I worked together with a group of people associated with Role playing Games, some of the Administrators might be aware of the game that I was heading development on which we were negotiating at the time to play on the site, Divide et Impera. Well since negotiations for the game to take place sort of died out we've massively expanded the scope of Divide et Impera since then, expanding it and making it more complex and expansive of the Roman period which we were hoping to look at, 230 BCE. I chose to post here because I'm seeing that there's a ton of similarities between "Rome:TW Roleplaying Game" and "Divide et Impera" and I think that associating our game with yours might give a unique outlook on how we've gone about formulating our ideas into playability.

Here's the link to my board: http://s9.invisionfree.com/Divide_et_Impera/

For instance, we've decided to diversify the game into three distinct areas of interest, political, economic and military. We've introduced a system of gentes to regulate how families function, imposed a complex economic system which would introduce this vital sector of Roman life and politics into the equation while allowing players to immerse themselves into the foreign politics of the Senate or potentially utilize the street politics. I've personally done a ton of research into the period and I along with several friends of mine have dedicated hundreds of hours into debate and endless writing and reading to understand how the system worked or didn't work.
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
    - Frank Dane

Say nothing of my religion. It is known to my god and myself alone.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Suggestions Thread!Speak your mind here...

That would be a great idea -- but how exactly do you imagine this merge? We keep the R:TW mod for military and your ideas in economics, politics etc or you have something else on your mind? If we can reach a viable solution then I would be for the merge!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Suggestions Thread!Speak your mind here...

I agree with Fabius. Your RPG looks pretty interesting. But how do we merge?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Divide Et Impera discussion

Posts moved from suggestion thread

Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

BTW, Divide Et Impera is still in its infancy from what I've been told. I propose that we look this proposal seriously to bold the ranks of both them and ours with conjoined members...

Stanislaw Poniatowski's Avatar Libertus

Well Fabius Maximus and I were discussing things and I've remarked to him that I believe Divide et Impera fundamentally presents a lot of the ideas that the game here does, but they're more complex and more developed. Like we've worked in rules on families, Senate procedure, but also the political assemblies like the Comitia Centuriata, the Comitia Tributa and the Concilium Plebis which were also vitally important in Roman political life.

I've discussed also the massive complexity of our economic system. Its extensive and complicated, it'll need a lot of moderators to function well; but I feel that the economy will help not only who will have the financial ability to finance their election bids to push far in the Republic's political sphere, but also will give an indication into the overall "political arithmetic" as Gregory King would put it, into the wealth of the average Roman citizen.

As to how we might potentially integrate our respective games, I'm not sure but we've already figured out a series of forums to which to manage the game's structure. Most of the Senate rules and the form and procedure is taken from the 230 BC period, other then the necessary changes so that the game could function in a text-based context. One point which is debatable is the battle system. I see you've decided to use Rome: Total War as a means to manage battles, but we chose to work with a system based on rules from miniature wargaming utilizing dice rolls. We did this because there's a lot of potential able players who'd be interested in playing, but would be restricted by the fact that they didn't own Rome: Total War. Also we noted that someone who was particularly good at RTW would be able to dominate battles.
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
    - Frank Dane

Say nothing of my religion. It is known to my god and myself alone.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Has this been looked at?
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Yeah we were discussing this some months ago; however, they were still in the development face, shorting out couple of stuff. As the mod leader(at least I thought he was the mod leader...) told me, they are many months away from initiating it... It does look very promising though!