Hellenic world (Build 041228) by Drák

Category: Mods

Compatibility: Rome: Total War

Screenshot: greeks.jpg

Description:

Hellenic World - Greek Mod:
    ===========================
    (december the 28th 2004)
    The present mod is designed to be played with the Greek City States only. Playing it with another faction is possible but simply not fun. For a good overall RTW mod, use for example the Rome Total Realism mod.
    The Hellenic World mod is a mix of historical accuracy and esthetical textures.
    We have tried of course to make the new units historically accurate.
    That was our main objective: recreate the spirit of the strategy and tactics of a post-Alexander Greek City States confederation.
    The Hellenic World mod is meant to be "role-played". Powergamers will hate it.

NEW UNITS (Greek City States):
    ==============================

Corinthian Agèma:
    -----------------
    Well disciplined, led by high-ranking officers and carrying large hoplon shields, Corinthian Agèma are a worthy addition to any Greek Army.
    Trained at Corinth only, in City Barracks.

Athenian Hoplite:
    -----------------
    Athenian hoplites are an elite among Greek soldiery, well armoured and trained these are formatable men capable of holding the line.
    Trained at Athens only, in City Barracks.

Hamippos Militia:
    -----------------
    Hamippos are light militia infantry best used to guard the flanks of hoplites and to manoeuvre around an engaged phalanx unit and provide pressure on its rear.
    Trained in any Greek city with a muster field (basic barrack building).

Agrianos:
    ---------
    Agrianos are a perfect means for protecting phalanxes and flanking around engaged units. More armoured and skilled then the Hamippos these infantry will hold their own.
    Trained in any Greek city with militia barracks.

Pharsalikè Ilè Medium Cavalry:
    ------------------------------
    Pharsalikè Ilè Medium Cavalry are spear-armed horsemen capable of turning the tide of battle.
    Trained in any Greek city with a hippodrome.

MODIFIED UNITS:
    ===============

Cretan Archers and Rhodian Slingers:
    ------------------------------------
    (Cretan Toxotès and Rhodian Sphendonetès)
    They can be trained in Peloponnesus (Sparta and Corinth) and Attica (Athens), as soon as a settlement get an archery range.
    Rhodian Sphendonetès recruited in Peloponnesus get bonus experience.

Greek Archers:
    --------------
    (Toxotès)
    They can now be trained in all greek provincies (Macedonia, Seleucid and City States) with a basic practice field, just like the peltasts.
    (historical accuracy for a post-Alexander era: pelasts just as basic greek archers were known as Psiloi)

Spartan Hoplites:
    -----------------
    Spartans are now available in city barracks at Laconia (Sparta).
    Like armoured hoplites, Athenian hoplites or Corithian Agèma, Spartans are Elite Armoured hoplites.
    (historical accuracy for a post-Alexander era: in 270BC Spartan Hoplites exist... in fact, they EXISTED. Making them trainable in City Barracks is simply obvious. They are still expensive though...)

Mercenary War Elephants:
    ------------------------
    With a "Resource elephants" settlement, the Greeks (City States, Maecdonia and Seleucids) can now train Mercenary War Elephants.
    (historical accuracy for a post-Alexander era: the Hellenic Empire has already used elephants -when available- in the past, before 270BC)

Triremes, Quinquiremes and Deceres:
    --------------------------
    Athens can now build ealier better ships:
    with a port, you can produce triremes in Athens. With a shipwright, quinquiremes, and with a dockyard, corvus quinquiremes and deceres.
    (Note: Corvus quinquiremes and deceres are ships developped by the romans. Athenians copy and adapt those technologies to their own needs)

Lithobolos and Oxybelès:
    ------------------------
    (Onagers and Heavy Onagers)
    Corinth can produce onagers and heavy onagers earlier than any other city of the greek world.

OTHER MODIFICATIONS:
    ====================

-The Greek Cities are now known as the Hellenic Empire.

-All hoplites of the mod use now long pikes instead of spears.
    (historical accuracy for a post-Alexander era)

-All factions: +50% to laws and +50% to happiness from governor buildings
    (squalor/riot problem almost suppressed)

-All factions: Up to +4 to the population growth bonus for the low level governor buildings

-All factions: Construction times for all buildings= 1 turn

-Syracuse and the province of Sicilia Graecus is no more a "Spartan resource".
    Spartan hoplites can no more be trained there.

-Strategy map color modifications: The 4 roman factions use now the same color, red (the original Julii color).
    The Greek City States use the former Scipii color (blue).
    Those changes are only esthetic cause in my opinion that dirty yellow/gold for the City States is simply ... ugly

-Several greek units has been renamed (historical accuracy) but their stats are unchanged:
    General's Boduguard= Basilikè ilè Cavalry
    Balista= Gastraphetès
    Light skirmisher cavalry= Hippakontistès
    Onager= Lithobolos
    Heavy onager= Oxybelès
    Peasants= Perioikoi

CREDITS:
    ========
    Thx to all the "greek faction overhaul" team @twcenter.net for the units skins and textures.
    (and especially spartan_warrior)

CONTACTS:
    =========
    juhadecrey.draksen@pp.inet.fi
    http://www.draksen.net

View This Mod
    Ceci est une signature

I've installed the vanilla=>patch=>origional hellinic mod=>update and everytime i go to continue campagine i get a CTD. also, i sometimes get weird pixilation and graphic thingys at random points. usually just quitting the game and coming back in work.. do u have ny clue?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by hammeredalways
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation

Originally posted by Drewoid13@Jan 11 2005, 10:08 PM
    I've installed the vanilla=>patch=>origional hellinic mod=>update and everytime i go to continue campagine i get a CTD. also, i sometimes get weird pixilation and graphic thingys at random points. usually just quitting the game and coming back in work.. do u have ny clue?
    strange. I use the same version as you and have no problem at all.
    Try to overwrite all the files again (the /Data folder) ... should work fine...
    Ceci est une signature

i did. but it isn't working. it did good b4 i put the update on. could it be a problem with that. also, did you include any other mods with your? like darths fire fix? if so maybe that could be part of the problem b/c i do install other mods but i try to do so that i don't overwrite files ( i manually add in/change the other mod's stuff. ) also, i've found that i can't train the other cities special hoplites (ie sparta= spartans) could that be a prob witht the pathfinding? or what level do the barracks have too be @? i havn't played in a wk or so, so i don't rem offhand wt level my bar is @.
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation

Not being able to recruit spartans or athenian hoplites is a map issue.
    You have played/started a campaign with your actual install BEFORE, and you have to delete the temporary map file if you want to start a new campaign (the Hellenic World mod) which use a different map with different settings (hidden resources).

OR (perhaps the easiest way)
    you uninstall the game, reinstall it, patch it (1.1)
    and then install the Hellenic World mod. It will work fine.
    Ceci est une signature

okay, i'm not to keen on renstalling. and whats the temp map i need to delete? i'll try that. and could you clarify that whole thing about
    You have played/started a campaign with your actual install BEFORE, and you have to delete the temporary map file if you want to start a new campaign (the Hellenic World mod) which use a different map with different settings (hidden resources).
    ?? :blush

Tooz's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Hellenic world (Build 041228) by Drák

Hey Guys,
    I know I am late in arriving on the HW TW mod but I keep getting a crash to desktop by the year 272 B.C. That's REAL early in the campaign and I cannot seem to figure out why the CTD occurs. I have uninstalled and re-installed, overwritten the data files, but still get that disapppointing CTD.
    I had a similar experience with Europa Barboreum. The game CTD because an Egypian (Ptolemaic) city was tring to build a ship without a port. I had to go into the files and do some re-wording, and it worked.
    Any similar fixes with this mod? I have version 1.2 installed over a patched RTW Vanilla RTW 1.2. All the other mods work without problem...