Thread: New interesting books

Default New interesting books

One week ago i was searching for 20mm miniatures of samurai. I discovered somewhere a link to http://www.sagaofthesamurai.com. I never heard about this site and they propose a serie of books about the samurai of the Sengoku-jidai.
    I bought the four, already, available books at once. This morning i received them at home. At first look these books are really great. They are in the same fashion as the Osprey-books.(but a little larger format). There are at least 10 pages of colored illustrations and a lot of little drawings. These drawings show some weapons or the use of these in battle. I saw for the first time a picture of a japanese slinger. I wasn't even aware that those existed.
    There are alot of appendices, which are very interesting(there is a family-tree of the Takeda, or the Kamon used by the Takeda and their vasals)
    There are 4 books available for now.
    The first discuss about the early Takeda's until the beginning of the Onin-war.
    The second tells the story of Takeda Nobutora(father of Shingen)
    The third tells the ascending of Shingen
    The fourth goes on with the growth of Shingen.
    There are 4 other books in the making. The 2 following books are still telling the story of the Takeda family but 7 and 8 will treat the story of a not so well known family, the Omi Gamo.
    On the site there is an interesting photogallery. It show some photos of castles that the author of the books visited.

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: New interesting books

Cool, it's dutch right? And is it just info or is it sourcebooks for a wargame?

But damn, a hundred bucks for the four books... :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Taneda Santôka View Post
    Cool, it's dutch right? And is it just info or is it sourcebooks for a wargame?

But damn, a hundred bucks for the four books... :hmmm:
    Why Dutch?:hmmm: They are in english. The books are not for wargames, these are history books.

I must admit that they are a little expensive

Well the authors' names kinda ring a dutch bell

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Terje Solum
    Anders K.Rue?

That doesn't sound like any name from my country Taneda?

It doesn't? Damn... Where're those names from then? Germany or Danemark? Whatever...
    Last edited by Taneda Santôka; February 16, 2008 at 05:02 PM.

juntao's Avatar Foederatus

EDIT :Sorry Juntao, but posting links to copyrighted works is strictly forbidden. Seijitai
    Last edited by Seijitai; July 10, 2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Mod
    If computer games affected children then, surely, after a childhood filled with pac-man, shouldn't we all be running around in darkly lit rooms eating pills & listening to repetitive music?

juntao's Avatar Foederatus

sorry, wont happen again
    If computer games affected children then, surely, after a childhood filled with pac-man, shouldn't we all be running around in darkly lit rooms eating pills & listening to repetitive music?

Seijitai's Avatar Biarchus

I browsed a bit internet about those books, and it seems they have a pretty good reputation... A lot of japanese cited sources, impartiality from the author (which is not bad considering Nobutora's bloody reputation),... It seems it worth it's price...

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Hey, read this!

Its quite Interesting: http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2t...an/index.shtml

And also not a VERY large text, so it also applies to the not-so-keen-on-reading-large-text people like me