Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: PRO DEO ET REGE 1.0 QUESTIONS & SUGGESTIONS

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: PRO DEO ET REGE 1.0 QUESTIONS & SUGGESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I've noticed that when I take a province my general or family member doesn't get "free-upkeep" but then, somewhere along the line he does. I've not explored it fully yet but would I be right in thinking that it's connected with the building of the Assembly Hall?
    A-yup. Free upkeep is dependent upon the settlement having the building in place that allows for the recruitment of the free upkeep unit. And Bodyguards/generals come from the Assembly Hall building.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    A-yup. Free upkeep is dependent upon the settlement having the building in place that allows for the recruitment of the free upkeep unit. And Bodyguards/generals come from the Assembly Hall building.

Kewl, cheers mate.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Hi! awesome job Socal! just a few suggestions...

1. "Reino D'Aragó" should be "Reino D'Aragón"
    2. The word King is not "Rey" as in Spanish but "Rei" in Aragonese
    3. The word Prince is not "Príncipe" as in Spanish but "Prenzipe" in Aragonese
    4. Aragon should'nt have Tercio Pikemen, they are exclusive to Castille. they could have just pikemen instead
    5. The county of Barcelona is not "Condado de Barcelona" as in Spanish but "Comtat de Barcelona" in Catalan.
    6. The count of Barcelona wasn't called Sancho at that time but Berenguer Ramon II and he should be 27 years old in 1080 (traits? just ask me)
    7. The garrison in Barcelona should consist of Crossbow militias, spear militias and knights.
    8. The heraldry worn by the aragonese knights isn't entirely correct...
    --------------Arengada--------------

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I've noticed that when I take a province my general or family member doesn't get "free-upkeep" but then, somewhere along the line he does. I've not explored it fully yet but would I be right in thinking that it's connected with the building of the Assembly Hall?
    To get the 'free upkeep' you must have the building present that recruits the unit. In this case correctly the assembly hall.

Indefinitely Banned

Cheers mate.

Evolution's Avatar Feel my sting

Could you help me to make Amenia (unsure of its spelling) to become more aggressive?

I'm playing as Aragon at the moment and every time I check on Amenia it just sits there counting the turkish jihadists marching past. It has only 1 settlement and I could easily wipe it out.

My plan was to take over Byzantine lands and then pressure the Turks along with Amenia and my army at Antioch. but its all gone up the ass.
    Total war turned me into a Twcenter religious fanatic
    Obi Wan Asterix, Underneath the Legend

Quote Originally Posted by |MeMw|Obi-Wan View Post
    Could you help me to make Amenia (unsure of its spelling) to become more aggressive?

I'm playing as Aragon at the moment and every time I check on Amenia it just sits there counting the turkish jihadists marching past. It has only 1 settlement and I could easily wipe it out.

My plan was to take over Byzantine lands and then pressure the Turks along with Amenia and my army at Antioch. but its all gone up the ass.
    Try reducing the units in the rebel garrison in Seleukia. And maybe place their starting army closer to it.

I agree. In the last build before release, they've become quite passive. They don't die out which is a good thing ( I think they become the Turks vassal most of the time). But they don't seem to expand much in the hands of the AI.

EDIT - it occured to me that some may not know how to make the changes I mentioned.

Open up the descr_strat.txt file in the PDER imperial_campaigns folder and look for this part:

Code:
    ;SELEUKIA						

character	sub_faction byzantium, Loukas Doukas, named character, male, age 39, x 319, y 105
    army						
    unit		Greek Bodyguard				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		SE Spear Militia			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		SE Spear Militia			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Anatolian Levy Archers			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Anatolian Levy Archers			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Anatolian Levy Spearmen			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Anatolian Levy Spearmen			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Anatolian Cavalry			exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    Just delete a few of the rebel garrison units and see if it helps.

To place the Armenian general closer to the settlement, bring up the console (on an English keyboard - the ~ key)
    and find a spot near Seleukia you,'d like him to be, then type in show_cursorstat. This gives you the X Y coordinates.

Then look for this line in the descr_strat.txt.

Code:
    character	Gosdantin Roupenian, named character, male, heir, age 25, x 323, y 116
    traits Factionheir 1 , Cap_Edu 2 , Energetic 2 , PublicFaith 1
    army
    unit		Armenian Bodyguard				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Aspet Cavalry		exp 0 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Cilician Horse Archers		exp 0 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
    And change the X Y coordinates to those you want.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; February 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by |MeMw|Obi-Wan View Post

In my previous campaigns it took sometimes until 1220 for Armenia to make a move, usually for Antioch. It might be the initial garrison that is sapping the finances, at least that was my problem when I played them. Had to disband most of the 'nice' units to have an initial positive cash flow.
    But reducing the close opposition as Socal suggests should work just as fine.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

just a small question, socal.
    is it part of the new AOR system that I can (when playing georgia) only recruit and build recruiting buildings in my capital/starting province?

I conquered the complete western part the great seljuks territory now and I can only recruit unit in Kutatisi

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    is it part of the new AOR system that I can (when playing georgia) only recruit and build recruiting buildings in my capital/starting province?

I conquered the complete western part the great seljuks territory now and I can only recruit unit in Kutatisi
    The AOR works like this. You need to build Auxiliary Hall once you take a new settlement outside your home region. Once you build that, you can then build Auxiliary Stables, Barracks, Ranges which will give you access to local troops.

Then you can build the first Town Hall building. After that, then you can build your own military buildings which will give you access to your core faction troops.

But in any event, all those buildings require a general to be in the settlement to build.

Hopefully this cuts down on blitzing a lot!

All of the Seljuks lands in this area! Oh no! Can't wait to see AAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Almogaver View Post
    Hi! awesome job Socal! just a few suggestions...

1. "Reino D'Aragó" should be "Reino D'Aragón"
    2. The word King is not "Rey" as in Spanish but "Rei" in Aragonese
    3. The word Prince is not "Príncipe" as in Spanish but "Prenzipe" in Aragonese
    4. Aragon should'nt have Tercio Pikemen, they are exclusive to Castille. they could have just pikemen instead
    5. The county of Barcelona is not "Condado de Barcelona" as in Spanish but "Comtat de Barcelona" in Catalan.
    6. The count of Barcelona wasn't called Sancho at that time but Berenguer Ramon II and he should be 27 years old in 1080 (traits? just ask me)
    7. The garrison in Barcelona should consist of Crossbow militias, spear militias and knights.
    8. The heraldry worn by the aragonese knights isn't entirely correct...
    Thanks for correcting these. Already implemented them in my own personal Seljuq campaign. Yeah, that's right Seljuqs. Even though Aragon is far far away, those minor things bug me too!

Will implement them in the next update/patch for everyone else! Thanks again for pointing them out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post

You need to have a governor in the city to be able to build your own barracks and city hall line buildings.
    Both are necessary to build unit recruiting buildings.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

The AOR works like this. You need to build Auxiliary Hall once you take a new settlement outside your home region. Once you build that, you can then build Auxiliary Stables, Barracks, Ranges which will give you access to local troops.

Then you can build the first Town Hall building. After that, then you can build your own military buildings which will give you access to your core faction troops.

But in any event, all those buildings require a general to be in the settlement to build.

Hopefully this cuts down on blitzing a lot!

All of the Seljuks lands in this area! Oh no! Can't wait to see AAR!
    yes, down to edessa, east to tabriz and west to karin.

ok then, but I don't have enough generals for that^^
    but now, i finally found a few that have command points so I can send a few back into the cities

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Thanks for correcting these. Already implemented them in my own personal Seljuq campaign. Yeah, that's right Seljuqs. Even though Aragon is far far away, those minor things bug me too!

Will implement them in the next update/patch for everyone else! Thanks again for pointing them out!
    oh! one more... it should be "Catalunya" instead of "Cataluńa"
    --------------Arengada--------------

SoCal - Where to begin?

I've been playing PDER since its first generally playable beta release, and have never looked back since.

Yes, I've played all the mods, LTC, SS, all that. Nothing compares. Now, I had previously written a lengthier letter of praise and adulation, but the bugs built into these Forums rendered my post 'disappeared' after I hi 'submit reply'.

Alas, here I go at it again. This time i have copied this to ensure its not lost.

SoCal - thank you many countless times for your hard work. I don't even want to think of the malpractice liability, or problems you may incur with your employer or the state bar, that your tremendous work and dedication to our mutual hobby may have opened you up to. I'm not even going to speak to the strain this has had on your relationships with real life loved ones. I know she tells you all the time that you care about this game and what absolute total strangers think more than you care about her. Thank GOD for loading screens and loading times! That's one good reason NOT to get a faster CPU!!!

I am triply ticked off at SEGA/CA for rushing to release an unfinished game, that on top of that, was aimed a demographic of gamers which doesn't nearly reflect the actual demographic that really plays and buys the game.

It hurts me that they rely on exploiting the good will and interest of the 'hardcore gamers' to actually re-create the game, and make it playable. I want half of my $40 sent to SoCal.

Mr. SoCal, i hope everyone on this forum can understand all that you've done for us. Because of you, there are no boring nights of watching Steel Magnolias, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, or French Kiss with my girlfriend.

Instead, I am deeply involved in a broader campaign of Cilician Armos (Hye!) to reconquer their lost lands near Georgia, and Greater Anatolia and the Levant to boot. With every intriguing development, I turn to my 'on the couch' GF, and wink and nod! "Baby, the Byzies stabbed me in the back!"

Three Cheers to SoCal!

Some suggestions:

1. My vote (if i had one) is that the whole game be rendered in RealCombat stats, with no complicated option or patch so to speak, so that experience and armour upgrades actually mean something. That should just be how the game is!

2. I also loved that, at least in the first half of the game with RC, archers with those nice big swords can actually do more damage than my GF's acrylic nails. Seriously! I guess this is the same as suggestion one, resolved in RealCombat stats. There's also the stamina and morale which prolongs battles, making them realistically longer and decisive. Indeed, If i want quick battles, I'll play on 6x

3. Is there any chance you can modify the blood mod so that there's a bit more blood? I'm aware that there are other mods that address this separately, and have played blood bath style previously. I'm recommending here, again, that this really not be an option, but really just built into the game. In the interest of user-friendliness and playability (and theoretical compatibility issues), lets have all add-ons be final and built in.

Playing RTW: XGM (Xtreme Greek Mod), there was an option at download to include or exclude certain features. Can this be arranged for battle blood, skies, and RC?

Anyhow, as far as my own skillz, all I'm really capable of us basic newbie stuff like changing stats, etc. I would love to help review and beta test and fix any RC stats that we can get going for this mod.

4a. Playing on VH, VH - campaign mode is not much of a challenge. Can you tweak the number or size of stacks and/or the agressiveness of hostile armies by, say, 10-15% or so? I know that prior mods had received suggestions to soften this. Now we've gone too soft in the other direction. RC will will fix AI on battle mode, no?

4b. Conversely, can diplomacy be tweaked so that, with the right price and trade package, like say in the 10k-20k plus range or similar homage, even factions with whom you have horrible relations can be brought to a non-agression pact/cease-fire?

4A and 4B will bring a special light and richness to the game which is otherwise lacking. Shame on CA/SEGA for making this stupid!

5. As with a few prior beta releases of PDER, mines cost too much and give very very little. Its simply not worth building mines at any point. We need to increase the yield of mines. As is, it takes about an average of 60-100 turns just to recoup the cost of building it, and thats just at Level 1!!

6. Vanilla central west asian/byzie/anatolian archers (the grey ones, peasant archer and militia archers) seem to be on RC stats already! They seem way out of whack with the rest of the game, especially considering their costs to build and maintain. YES YES i know how to correct this myself, but if there's going to be a PDER 1.1 that addresses these things, what I assume is the purposes of Questions and Suggestions, then I hope we can fix this.

And when I say 'we', SoCal, i DON't mean you. I'm volunteering again. But the greek archers issue is easy to fix, even with my limited skills.

7. Merchants need to also be 'worth it' to build. That means that the resources need to give at least 100 florins to start with, for a guy with limited skills. Then at least he's earned his build cost withing 5-7 turns or so. We also need to lenghthen their life spans - an 'historically correct - playability consistent' way to do this would be to have that every merchant has a journeyman with him in his retenue who 'takes over' (We can imagine) when the merchant dies of old age. Same with spies and diplomats. Its just WAY TOO MUCH micro management, when you start taking over whole portions of the the-then known world, to not only move the guys around (which is all good) but then to have to worry about their age. Its enough to worry (which is all good) about them getting bought off or assassinated. ITS A SHAME that you build these guys up and they lose their traits to old age. Way too much on the micro there. Many times I'm trying to get THROUGH the 900 plus turns of the campaign map portion so long as my armies have moved and my to-build line-up is set. Still my campaigns are 3-4 months in real human hours, (which i love!) I dig, of course, that family members and generals age, and that's not the issue here.

8. Can you REDUCE the threshold of being able to buy off rebel armies? I get that we are at war - being at war should NOT be a factor in the diplomacy of BUYING the army off. That's the whole POINT of buying them off!! I've had 5k, 7k, 30k, 60k available to bribe an army of ANY size, and NOTHING works. Its a useless and frustrating, unrealistic feature, if it can't reasonably be utilized.

9. Armenia -

a. their first and only starting city can build way too many variety of troops, it seems, from the get go. They have all sorts of spearmen who are either byzzie, seljuk/turkic, or armo, but little other different besides appearance.

b. Stats on Vanilla AoR byzzie dudes also seem off, too expensive for the stats, etc. Players should have to build for this, and then the differences should be more apparent. If the differences are in morale or other 'invisible' stats differences, visible only in descr-units or whatever, then the Unit Card or Unit Info (i forget which) ought to say so.

c. Fire-Ships, and a few other units (i'll post the names when they come to me), still don't have mini-pics, and the default picture is the peasant from RTW, as you know.

10. The towers ought to shoot more, and stronger. I know there had been prior suggestions, (I religiously read the PDER forums when I get home from work - sort of like my transition from work life to playing the game. Reading these forums gets me jazzed up to play!) and these suggestions were that the walls not be as effective at defending. GIVEN that we have eliminated the inner walls of castles, and all, at least we need some more rapid fire from the wall towers. Please!? Yeah, I know how to tweak this myself, but this is only after a year of learning how to mod. I'm almost 30 years old, so the learning curve is slightly tweaked against me. I know that in all prior talks about user-friendliness, you have agreed in principle that this mod ought to be fully enjoyable for people with even less skillz than me.

Anyway - seems like a laundry list, but these are just suggestions that came to me as I played. I've been taking notes with pen and pad in hand while playing, and this is what I've got so far. I'll post as I continue to Beta-Test Cilician Armenia.

I realize that opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one. None of my suggestions can take an ounce away from the fantastic work that's gone into this. I wouldn't even THINK of asking 'why' this or that turned out as it did in the 1.0/1.0a PDER release.

You are a one-man team, a one-man army - one we here in the Total War community are FOREVER INDEBTED TO!

So I've made the following Fixes/Changes to the Game in Export Descr Unit:

This has been experimented with beautiful results. I also made tweaks to costs to balance. PM me and I'll email you my file! Its easy to do, but time consuming, especially with testing, etc.

1. Gave the following units the HORDE formation, not utilized in MTWII, but still possible because of being built of aspects of RTW: ALL peasants including peasant archers and others, kazaks, highland rable, peasant spear, woodsman, almughavars, viking raiders, battlefield assasins, zweihander, flagellants, pilgrims, religious fanatics, caucasian frontiersman, Transylvanian peasants.

2. Fixed militia and peasant archer stats, now: 3 arrow, 2 knife, 3 sword, 4 defense if knife, 3 defense if sword.

3. ALL General's Bodyguards for all Factions are BACK to 2 Hit Points. No more needless deaths of gens and fam on the field!

4. Created 'Super-Unit' for Armenia and Georgia!

Georgia: Monaspa Swordsmen now 2 HP, 4 turns to recruit, 4200 florins to recruit, 880 to upkeep.

Armenia: Dismounted Nakharars now 2 HP, 4 turns to recruit, 4190 to recruit, 980 to upkeep.

5. Doubled Artillery pieaces, increased number of men, doubled price and maintenance

6. Carroccio Standard and Similar: Now have 2 HP, doubled upkeep

7. Fixed Forlon Hope upkeep from 40 to 140 (Assumed it was an error)

Will work on other factions soon
    Last edited by VanguardXIII; February 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: update

First of all congratulasion because the mod is great.
    However I have two suggestions and I would be glad if you could think about them:
    1. I am from Poland and I feel weird when my polish armies say: "mein Kaiser".
    please turn back the old voice which was good.
    2. If this mod is based on KIngdoms, why there are not placed fractions like Teutonic, Jerusalem , Antiochia and Lithuania. Those fractions were interesting.

That is all. Once again congratulasions

Quote Originally Posted by Erdill View Post
    First of all congratulasion because the mod is great.
    However I have two suggestions and I would be glad if you could think about them:
    1. I am from Poland and I feel weird when my polish armies say: "mein Kaiser".
    please turn back the old voice which was good.
    2. If this mod is based on KIngdoms, why there are not placed fractions like Teutonic, Jerusalem , Antiochia and Lithuania. Those fractions were interesting.

That is all. Once again congratulasions
    Hey there mate! Thanks for the compliments! Now on to your feedback!

1] The problem is that some foreign language versions of the game lack the Eastern European and Scottish accents. I created the sound files for these mapping those accents to German and English. Don't know what version you're playing. Does it have the Eastern European accent?

2] We here at PDER choose factions that were historically relevant at 1080 AD. We don't include factions that may have arisen in prominence at a later date (well except Portugal) because it wouldn't be historical to do so, when the events in the actual game you're playing would preclude such factions from arising.

Cheers, mate!

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

First, big cheers to your mod, as it is (together with dimitri_harkovs "hre") the best and most realistic mtw2 mod available. Despite from having still sound problems, i took a closer look in the factions. As the hre seems to be the faction with the most historical "glitches" (with all due respekt, oc ), some suggestions:

names:

the names of the family members seem a bit random to me. would be better to give them the names of some dukes or counts around 1080. and perhaps you should adjust the namelist, as most names do not sound very "noble" (though im sure the average ca guy thinks "Ulrich Echter" has to be a decent german name as they didnt change it since mtw1).

provinces/cities and titles:

in general (for all factions), titles should refer to the province, not the city,
    so "duke of steiermark" instead of graz (lesser point).

- the title archduke of austria came in use very late in the ma, so it should be just duke (there is no actual duchy of austria before the 12th century, but imo that doesnt matter).
    - the gouvernor of bavaria should have the title duke of bavaria, instead of franconia (dont mix up todays franconia) and perh regensburg would be a better city.
    - for franken, mainz would be a better capital, and the govs title should be duke of franconia, as frankfurt got important later. also an "elector of frankfurt" did not exist.
    - magdeburg should be the capital of brandenburg, and the gov "count of b." (better would be markgraf, just dont remember the english title atm). not 100% historical, but decent. could also be nordmark with brandenburg as capital.
    - schleswig-holstein did also not exist in 1080, just rename it holstein and make the gov count of h. i would also advice hamburg as capital, and lübeck as part of an oborite rebel province (if you wish to create one).
    -bremen should be made sachsen, with either keeping the capital or take münster, minden or goslar instead. title duke of saxony of course (and without the austrian coa). you should also reduce holstein and give saxony the land south of the elbe.
    - staufen is not a really good choice as a capital. i would either take another city like augsburg, or make the city a castle and name it hohenstaufen.
    - lorraine should be oberlothringen
    - you should give it a thought to take italy (at least bologna and florence) from the hre and give it 2 or 3 provinces of burgundy instead, as they were an integral part of the empire, and less rebellious (and we have to give the emperor some trouble in italy, dont we). i would also leave the switzerland be, as theres no such thing prior to the late ma. just rename it county of b., rektorat of b., hochburgund (many possibilities there) and make genf the capital. title of gov may be best reichsprotektor of b. or just count. would also be good to give it a common border with lyonaise by reducing bourgogne a bit.

minor points:
    - you should think about giving brabant to the empire. make the gov duke of brabant or of niederlothringen (both ok). if you leave it rebel, you should make the rebels part of the duchy of brabant, not of the comte de flandres.
    - i would add the river oder at stettin, as without it eastern europe misses an important landmark.

hope this turns out to be constructive, as your mod is on the way to become MTR, and that you get much more support in modding at this huge thing. As soon i get some sound to my pder, ill rename it MTR and enjoy it without mercy.

edit: i just noticed that prince conrad of the hre is a gay; he just married a transvestite with name "Grede der Weisse"
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; February 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling

So far in my campaign (which is going very well) all the crusades just go to Cairo and all the jihads are sent to retrieve it. It's changed hands about 3 or 4 times. Is there a way of getting the crusades to go for something else every so often?

Something that has been bugging me for sometime on all M2TW games is the quote "let the boy win his spurs" by Edward III at the battle of Crecy in 1345. The battle was actually in 1346. I've just changed it.

Sorry I seem to be posting a lot. I should get a hobby.........