Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historically accurate soldiers

Default Historically accurate soldiers

I decided, that since I could I would, to post a bunch of pics for historically accurate Japanese Sengoku Jidai warriors. Enjoy

Yari Cavalry (Light/Heavy)

Messengers (can't remember the japanese title off the top of my head)

Yari Samurai

Ikko-Ikki

Arquebus Musketmen

Armour that I own
    Does the Walker choose the path, or the Path the walker?

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Historically accurate soldiers

Hehe, I also have a good source of historical soldiers HERE

But well, nice pics, except fo the two paintings, the first one with a fancy Yari and Katana on his back, and the Ikko Ikki with his Katana upside down and the weird Odoshi on the armour...
    And messengers are called Tsukai-Ban, hunting party.
    Last edited by Taneda Santôka; February 12, 2008 at 04:43 PM.

Nice pics. If i'm right the photos of the yari cavalry and samurai are from the movie 'Kagemusha' and the other two are reenactments.(Messengers were called 'tsukai-ban').
    I agree what says Taneda about the paintings. It's a pity about these little historical errors, because they are otherwise very nice.
    It's a nice yukinoshita-do(?) style armor that you possess.

Quote Originally Posted by furinkazan View Post
    Nice pics. If i'm right the photos of the yari cavalry and samurai are from the movie 'Kagemusha' and the other two are reenactments.(Messengers were called 'tsukai-ban').
    I agree what says Taneda about the paintings. It's a pity about these little historical errors, because they are otherwise very nice.
    It's a nice yukinoshita-do(?) style armor that you possess.
    Correct. Kurosawa was very dedicated to keeping his films accurate and he did a very good job. I love his films. I'm waiting for another director to come up with the next great samurai movie like his. (And if someone even mentions Last Samurai, I'll send a ninja after you)

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

That armour is very cool. It must have been very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_of_Moria View Post
    Correct. Kurosawa was very dedicated to keeping his films accurate and he did a very good job. I love his films. I'm waiting for another director to come up with the next great samurai movie like his. (And if someone even mentions Last Samurai, I'll send a ninja after you)
    The last of everything has always got to be an american...

Concerning Kurosawa, two things should be said. First, historical accuracy was not vital, even if present, for exemple, Ran has a colour language that has no historical ground (let alone the movie being an adaptation of Shakespeare's Lear) and that stands for itself, as a language : the whole film can be read in that scope, colour.
    Second, Kurosawa was a very western-influenced artist -and well, first of of all he was an artist- not saying he clichéed his movies or made them more western-friendly, but it has lot of liberties. Compare him to Mizoguchi or Ozu...

As far as the second picture goes, I very much prefer the original:
    http://horse.shrine.net/samurai/imag...su_samurai.jpg
    It's much more historically accurate. (this is the true original ©seijitai)

And the armour of the Ikko-ikki is kind of not. The odoshi is all wrong, as is the kote and clothing and well, everything actually.
    Last edited by Taneda Santôka; July 05, 2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: THE original :P

Quote Originally Posted by Taneda Santôka View Post
    The last of everything has always got to be an american...

Concerning Kurosawa, two things should be said. First, historical accuracy was not vital, even if present, for exemple, Ran has a colour language that has no historical ground (let alone the movie being an adaptation of Shakespeare's Lear) and that stands for itself, as a language : the whole film can be read in that scope, colour.
    Second, Kurosawa was a very western-influenced artist -and well, first of of all he was an artist- not saying he clichéed his movies or made them more western-friendly, but it has lot of liberties. Compare him to Mizoguchi or Ozu...
    I'm aware of the color inacuracy in Ran, since it was not meant to be a 'true' samurai movie in the sense that is depicted a historical figure as Kagemusha did (not that the story wasn't a historical possibility, but a myth). But the 'kit' was quite accurate in regards to what weapons and armour the samurai and ashigaru armies used during the time.

Though they're inacurate quite a bit I also the occasional Sonny Chiba film. 'Sword of Vengeance' was very enjoyable.

What I meant is not that Ran is historically inacurate, but more that Ran does not strive to be historically accurate. It's not its purpose, aim or goal, even if of course it's not miles away and armies/equipement/strategy/protocol is well depicted, Kurosawa knows his country ; but colour, as in japanese tradition and culture, has a specific role in everyone of his coloured film (), some of them have quite baroque set-lighting and effects, and it always has a life, meaning, of its own .
    Quote Originally Posted by TomteOfDoom View Post
    And the armour of the Ikko-ikki is kind of not. The odoshi is all wrong, as is the kote and clothing and well, everything actually.
    I like the greek-looking temple behind him...
    Last edited by Taneda Santôka; February 13, 2008 at 01:13 AM.

I like the greek-looking temple behind him...
    Yeah that's a neat touch.

You think that's funny, here's some more pics I found. lolz

Last edited by Lord_of_Moria; February 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Ok Lord Of Moria now you're gonna have to tell me

What movie is the 6th picture in your last pictures post?

And I luv the 4th picture drawing

Btw Bought the movie Ame Agaru some time ago (scenario from Kurosawa) Very Cool movie, and I especially liked the moves and battle scenes in it

It's from the movie 'Shogun's Shadow' which Sonny Chiba was in. Pretty good one, though some of the "ninja abilities" are a bit much lol.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I'm pretty sure the guy in the first post is a 'Sohei' or warrior-monk of one of the mountain temples. Not a soldier of the Ikko-Ikki as is stated. He has the traditional headwrap and is wielding the similiarly traditional naginata.

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted about that but now I have.

Cheers.

That's true, but he doesnt really look like anything to me, just fancy japanese flavoured warrior, I guess one could say that Sohei were warrior monks and Ikko Ikki were a mix of monks and peasants, nothing prevents one from being another : a warrior monk Ikko Ikki could be called Sohei if I'm not mistaken. :hmmm:

i dunno but if i was a lord and i had my army back in medieval japan and some warrior monks wouled be part of a rebel army against me you know what id call em.. id call em cannon fodder

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Nvm
    Last edited by McScottish; February 21, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taneda Santôka View Post
    That's true, but he doesnt really look like anything to me, just fancy japanese flavoured warrior, I guess one could say that Sohei were warrior monks and Ikko Ikki were a mix of monks and peasants, nothing prevents one from being another : a warrior monk Ikko Ikki could be called Sohei if I'm not mistaken. :hmmm:
    Ikko Ikki all love Taneda Santôka
    Wind.Trees.Fire.Mountion-風林火山→http://wtfm.exblog.jp

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Funny you're a Oda fanboyo, but you have Wind Trees Fire Mountain in your Sig, wasn't that a Takeda phrase?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast