Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash To Desktop, 44 BC during AI, Julii turn

Default Crash To Desktop, 44 BC during AI, Julii turn

The issue begins around 64 BC. The game becomes unpredictable, with crashes occurring during the AI Julii turn. Tweeks and other things allowed me to 44 BC. Now it is not likely to go on. I suspect some issue with the AI during the turn that prohibits it from completing.

This is the furthest I have ever gotten with RTRPE. I respect the job done, and the readdition of the other roman factions. By the way, this is the .13 addon. Any ideas?

Default Re: Crash To Desktop, 44 BC during AI, Julii turn

There seems to be a solution for these late crashes in the roman campaign, but unfortunately the changes involved require starting a new campaign to take effect. Still, if you are willing to do this I will write a short guide on how to implement it. It is a solution that Rome Surrectum has applied and tested successfully according to them. So it looks promising.
    Basically it involves changing the year dates and calendar system so that instead of the BC/AD years you get a calendar based on how many years have passed since the founding of Rome. You`ll start in the summer of 473 and the game will end in the summer of 753. With no minus in front of the date the game will think it is in AD, the year will progress as such(473->474->475 and so on) and the year 66 BC or the ones in that region will not happen anymore.
    Personally I think it is a small price to pay and since the problem seems to be related to the roman campaign I think it`s proper enough to have Ab Urbe Condita instead of BC. Here`s what you need to do:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. open the file descr_strat from the location Rome - Total War/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

Note: - for the mod switch version of RTRPE the path contains a RTRPE folder after data afaik.
    - the latest version of RTRPE also has a path like this:
    Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion
    for playing the game with the exe of BI. If you do that you might need to change the descr_strat file from this place too.

2. change the year dates that are at the begining of the file (right under the factions list) from:
    Code:
    start_date	-280 summer
    end_date	1 summer
    to:
    Code:
    start_date	473 summer
    end_date	753 summer
    3. open the text file menu_english from this location: Rome - Total War/data/text
    and change this line:
    Code:
    {UI_AD}					AD
    into this:
    Code:
    {UI_AD}					AUC
    4. open the text file shared from this location: Rome - Total War/data/text
    and change this line:
    Code:
    {ST_X_AD}					%d AD
    into this:
    Code:
    {ST_X_AD}					%d AUC
    Note: The last two files are not really needed for the solution to work. The changes there are just cosmetic. What they do is that they`ll replace in game the AD next to the year with AUC(Ab Urbe Condita - from the founding of the City/Rome). And since BC no longer exist you`ll only see AUC on the campaign loading screen or in the various menu screens.

5. delete the map.rwm files again so they can be regenerated the next time to start the game, based on the new info.

Also, remember to back up the files you will be editing before messing with them. This way you`ll be able to revert any changes without having to reinstall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two more things:
    1. can you please confirm that you are indeed playing a roman campaign?
    2. thanks for your reports! We wouldn`t have known the issue is still there if not for you. Pity it took so long to figure out a working(I hope so) solution. And good luck with this!
    Last edited by florin80; April 06, 2008 at 02:40 PM.

Yes I always play romans, and to state it again, I am playing the add on mod which reinstates the Roman factions .13 version. I will implement your changes and begin again. Give me a week to test them. I will report back to you. I managed to use every trick available to get it to go to 35 BC. But from 65 BC on, you have to fight to get the game to go on. Sometimes you can go for 5 or 6 turns with no problem, but then crashes start again.
    Thank you very much for you reply and I will start the test on your solution immediately.

First I didn`t realize what you meant with the roman factions and the add-on. Now I see you`re using a mini-mod on top of RTRPE, but I`m not sure I`m familiar with it. Which one is it? The custom mod?

Good luck with the next campaign and I`d be greatful to hear the results. Hopefully you`ll not encounter any other problem until 66 BC.

It is the v. 13 custom mod, which adds back the roman factions. I usually have no problems getting to 66 BC, other than the occasional AI induced crash (maybe once ever 50 years; in other words, no problem LOL). I will provide you results within a week. Thank you for all your work and even after all this time, this is still my favorite game.

You seem to be a veteran at this so I think it might be helpful to share some of the things that you do to get passed various CTDs. I have a thread here on this subject:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124476
    Anything you could add to it when you have the time would be most welcomed.

Greetings again florin80,
    hi everyone,

I remember a few months ago I implemented something similar to the steps you mentioned, to the best of my understanding at the time.

One thing I did not do was to make the game think it was 'AD', and so only changed the end date to make the game last as long as possible. I basically left start_date at -280 and end_date at some really distant time in the future. Apparently, that's not good enough, because I'm getting CTD at 67 BC again.

So, it was time to start a new campaign anyway...

So, I was wondering if I started with 473 summer, if I can set the end_date any further down? Instead, of 753, maybe 803?

start_date 473 summer
    end_date 753 summer

I assume that following steps 1-2 (or thru 4) above will work and has been tested, and understand that if we can get past the 67 BC crash we automatically gain another 66 years of playtime. I'm just wondering if we have that flexibility...

The key to this is that the year 66 BC(or something in that region) won`t happen. So, if you start with 473 you`ll, of course, need to choose a date with no minus in front since according to the engine the start date is already in AD. This way the game will think the whole timeframe is in AD. The year 66 BC will not happen anymore and you should not have the CTD occuring. What the end date is is left for you to choose. You can make it end sooner or later. I don`t think there are any side effect for that. Basically that only counts for the victory conditions.

Hi florin80 and community,

I regret to inform that after applying the AUC fix,
    I'm still getting consistent ctd at 60BC exactly.

In descr_strat, I changed the start and end date to 473 to
    2900, respectively. So, start and end date are both positive
    values. The AUC date where I'm crashing is 693 AUC, which
    is 220 years after the game start, putting us right at the equivalence of 60 BC (if we left descr_strat to start at year -280).

I haven't searched the other forum topics yet, but I seem to have followed
    the recommendations and the fact that the ctd is happening now is too much of a coincidence.

Anyway, are there any other things to try?

Update 1:

I backtracked my saves and got past to year 696 AUC.
    Hopefully it stays that way. No news from me is good news.

Update 2:

Bad news.
    ctd again at year 697. It feels a lot like the days when I was trying
    random stuff to get the game to get past the 60's BC. Before this,
    the game stability was smooth as linen.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    The key to this is that the year 66 BC(or something in that region) won`t happen. So, if you start with 473 you`ll, of course, need to choose a date with no minus in front since according to the engine the start date is already in AD. This way the game will think the whole timeframe is in AD. The year 66 BC will not happen anymore and you should not have the CTD occuring. What the end date is is left for you to choose. You can make it end sooner or later. I don`t think there are any side effect for that. Basically that only counts for the victory conditions.
    Last edited by spqr_arcani; March 26, 2008 at 02:25 AM.

You`ve overreached with the end date, but I can`t believe that`s the reason. Still, could you post here the exact text from descr_strat?
    Also, what faction were you playing with? And, have you made these changes before starting a new campaign and have you(this is important) deleted the map.rwm file after doing the changes, but before starting the new campaign?

EDIT: were you using the simple or the mod_switch version of RTRPE? Because iirc the mod switch version has two descr_strat files in different folders. Not sure how that affects changes done.

Hi florin80,

Thanks for your attention.
    descr_strat.txt is simly

start_date 473 summer
    end_date 2900 summer

and I did the cosmetic change in the other file (forgot name) that
    did the cosmetic AD -> AUC change.

I'm playing Romans. I understand that this is more prone to this crash.
    I started a new campaign and deleted the map.rwm of the imperial campaign folder. And I started a new campaign after making the descr_strat changes.

I'll find out what simple vs mod_switch version is. But to possibly answer your question right away, I downloaded the full v1.9 PE and installed it on the
    Vanilla RTW with RTR-recommended patch.

EDIT:
    My paragraph above may have been confusing.
    The order which I did things:
    1. change the descr_strat.txt
    2. change other file AD -> AUC
    3. delete map.rwm
    4. start new campaign
    Last edited by spqr_arcani; March 26, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Well, is it this one:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105336
    or this one:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104767

Also, you should have used the campaign_map_reset file. That also deletes the map.rwm that is in rtw/data/world/maps/base.

Based on your links, I have the simple non-mod version.
    When I get back home I'll check the map.rwm files.

I wasn't aware there are multiple map.rwm's.
    Maybe that's where my problem is.

As an aside note I`ve made a wrong connection above. Both versions should have two campaign folders, not just the mod switch one. There should be a RTW/data/world/maps/campaign/imperal_campaign
    and an
    RTW/data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion
    (i`m quoting from memory, I don`t have the mod installed atm)
    The last is supposed to be used when you start the game with the BI exe.

OK, I searched the folders, and there was only one map.rwm, which is in the
    \base directory.

There was no map.rwm in the imperial_campaign directory or subdirectories.

I also saw that in the descr_strat.txt file has a timestamp that precedes that of the map.rwm that was generated last month in the base directory.

Well, sorry it took so long to get back, but I have made it to the equivalent of 5 BC with the solution you gave me a month or so back. The only problem I have had is the multiple battle crash, but the solution you have for that requires some intense review of the solutions file you created for it to work. (city sizes not matching buildings, to low a values (pop. 100) etc.) So I didn't fool with it, not that it is not a good idea. Anyway, as far as Julii turn for this, I am assuming he this person is also using the reestablishment of the other roman factions. I made sure the other roman factions were destroyed by 44 BC, but I doubt that has any relation to the Julii crash problem. I am going to continue the game that has made it so far with relatively no problems probably for at least 50 more turns into the future, even if I have conquered the whole map to further test the solution.

FMvonKleist,

I wanted to double-check with you.
    Which faction are you playing?

thanks

I was thinking that the next time I start a campaign,
    that I would use a cheat to go to the neighborhood
    of the 693 AUC crash years to see whether a fix works or not.

I saw on the internet that

date <year>

is supposed to change the date in the ~ prompt.
    I tried that and that didn't work.
    Is this because I have Vanilla RTW or because I need to enter another
    cheat code prior to using "date"?

Thanks,

Roman faction, Scipii to be exact. Mod .13 with the restored factions, I am assuming the fix will work with regular 1.9 PE, and may be the solution for the upcoming Elysium project (ancient empires)

FMvonKleist,

Thanks for your reply.
    I think I will install Mod .13 now, after seeing how the units look good and that it worked for you with Scipii.

I'm thinking of getting the BI in case this is the discrepancy between me and the others. So far I'm the only one reporting this problem playing the Romans.

Is BI what you use?

Quote Originally Posted by FMvonKleist View Post
    Roman faction, Scipii to be exact. Mod .13 with the restored factions, I am assuming the fix will work with regular 1.9 PE, and may be the solution for the upcoming Elysium project (ancient empires)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast