Thread: Alesia and Spain

Default Alesia and Spain

When the Great Revolt of 52BC breaks out, the mission description text says that Alesia should be the last stronghold to be conquered. Is it just for historical accuracy or is there another (scripted) reason? Cause I've just conquered Alesia and nothing special happened.

My second question is about the second mission of De Bellum Civile. Caesar must march to Spain and secure the settlements of Osca, Tarraco and Valentia. Is there a time deadline for this mission? Nothing is mentioned in the mission description text. Historically, which legions did he take with him in this campaign?

By the way, I have to say that this mod is awesome! The more I play, the more excited I get. Great job guys!

Default Re: Alesia and Spain

I will leave Salvor to explain game play issues etc

However turning to the issue of which Caesariani legions fought in Spain during 49 it must be said that only two of the six legions deployed are directly attested, IX and XIV.

T Rice-Holmes in The Roman Republic Volume III argues that the VI, VII, X and XI also fought in this campaign. Whilst this position might not be universally accepted for the purposes of your 58 BC Campaign feel free to deploy these units...

Quote Originally Posted by pcaravel View Post
    When the Great Revolt of 52BC breaks out, the mission description text says that Alesia should be the last stronghold to be conquered. Is it just for historical accuracy or is there another (scripted) reason? Cause I've just conquered Alesia and nothing special happened.

My second question is about the second mission of De Bellum Civile. Caesar must march to Spain and secure the settlements of Osca, Tarraco and Valentia. Is there a time deadline for this mission? Nothing is mentioned in the mission description text. Historically, which legions did he take with him in this campaign?
    Concerning the Great Gallic Revolt, there is really no need to follow an order as long as you conquer the regions before the time limit is reached.

On the other hand, for the Civil War we decided not to set any time limits for the player, but there are a couple limitations:

- The missions must be fulfilled in the order that they are given. I.e.: you cannot go for the Pompeiani in Spain before conquering Italy. If you do so, you will find out that you have to conquer each settlement in Spain.

- There are some penalties for the player if he does not fulfill the missions in a reasonable time. This tries to portray the growth in opposition that Caesar would have had to face if he had fought the Civil War at a slower pace.

Thanks for the replies!