Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There Will be Blood

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default There Will be Blood

1st off let me say that I wouldn't do this flim any justice by trying to reveiw in a normal fashion.You can read the very many reviews here and watch the trailer http://www.therewillbeblood.com/

What I will say is this is one of the best movies I hav seen in awhile.I went into it knowing only that DD(Daniel Day Lewis,The Butcher from Gangs of NY) was in it and it was about oil or something.Boy was I in for a shock.
    It also had that teenage kid from Little Miss Sunshine(Dano) who was more than i could have hoped for in this flim.

There are some brutal scenes,some awe inspiring ones and for me some of the funniest scenes that I can remember.Maybe i have a warped sense of humor but in the multi plex where I watched it with a friend I was cracking up
    at a bunch of different parts.(Definetly at the church scene and the last part of the movie)

The story line goes like so DD is a sliver miner who than deceides to get into the oil game at the turn of the century with an adopted son.He than gets word of a good prospect some ways away.It turns out to be more than he a life changing move.(Some positive,some neg.)

The local pastor of the church(Dano) and DD conflict over a variety of issues and the drama starts to unfold.You see the main char. change as the movie goes on.You root for him,you love him,you hate him,you want to be him,you think he is scum and a scoundrel.

The iceing on the cake was the music.The score was for lack of a better word hypnotic.I enjoyed it the whole time.

Another thought:I can tell when a movie is going to be good,for the 1st 5-10 mintues there is no talking.Just good music and one guy working.Very cool.

If your looking for a interesting movie with great acting,great music and awe inspiring scenes and landscape than look no further.There Will Be Blood will not disappoint.

PS:If your going to click on to the link,just watch the trailer,but none of the other clips,better to go in fresh.
    Last edited by Scipio Afracanis; February 09, 2008 at 12:06 PM.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: There Will be Blood

I saw that a week ago, great movie, surprisingly delicious.

Bowling anyone?

Indefinitely Banned
    Mid-sized town about an hour north of Chicago. Tis a'ight.

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Great film.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I thought this was a great performance from DDL, but little else, there's no script to talk about, the relationship between the lead and his adopted son is never really explored, the battle of wills between the lead and the preacher had promise but again was never explored, the only scene of note was the afore mentioned church scene and even that was nothing special. I had high hopes for this given the evocative title, There will be blood?, Meh 'twas but a scratch.

Thought the movie was a bore.

There was a lot of build up for basically nothing. I was expecting a lot more out of this movie and was disapointed(action....the movie lacked it). Ending was memorable, but not worth the what..2 hour wait?
    I admire your luck, Mr...?

Bond..James Bond

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I really liked it Lewis as usual was great the last scene was great

I'm a false prophet and god is a superstision hehe

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I thought the movie was fantastic.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Indefinitely Banned

it was good but seriosuly, what was the point of it?
    it's hard trying to determine what its themes are.
    it's got quite a fairly straightforward plot. and then, that's it: 'i'm finished'

Kool-Aid's Avatar Civis

This Film look good
    I'm defiantly going to watch it ...
    As Daniel Day Lewis is in it
    And he was amazing in Gangs Of New York.

Spoiler, I guess. Where's that button?

I enjoyed it. Showed well enough what kind of man Daniel Plainview is. His relationship with his son wasn't always there in the first place and while the affection shown by Daniel is human enough, in his perpetually dark moods though he simply has people around him who serve a direct purpose, because otherwise he despises them all.

I was disappointed by the ending but it was no different than the one from No Country For Old Men.

I loved the use of music and orchestra and that sound that was really bothersome in some choice scenes.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Oh man did the first 15 minutes music annoy me? Freaking yes, oh god my ears. No dialogue during those minutes either..

A little too boring in my taste.
    Last edited by Cyrus the Virus; April 16, 2008 at 06:42 AM.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

I recently watched it for the second time. The second viewing allowed me to pick up on the deterioration of Daniel's feelings for his son... sad, really.
    Daniel wasn't a great guy to begin with, but I think the real turning point was immediately after the well caught on fire, and HW went deaf in the explosion.

"There's a whole ocean of oil under our feet, and no one can get to it except for me."

(while HW is severely injured in the blast)

PaganLord's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Kool-Aid View Post
    This Film look good
    I'm defiantly going to watch it ...
    As Daniel Day Lewis is in it
    And he was amazing in Gangs Of New York.
    He was amazing in Last of the Mohicans

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

DD is even more amazing in this than any other play. He is just awful on this one....he doesnt even act in this one, he makes u believe its him alright. He is plain filthy in it.

Daniel Day-Lewis is the ultimate badass!

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Definitely a magnificent film, and Daniel Day Lewis is without a doubt one of the greatest actors of all time and certainly of the last 50 years. The music was breathtaking and eclectic, it had a sort of Godfather feel that makes you think someone is going to die around every corner, but still surprises you when they actually do. The screenplay was a breath of fresh air from the overly choreographed trash heap movies that have been flooding their way into theaters near you. The environment was really well portrayed, some of the scenes make you wonder how such a different seeming world was less than 100 years past, especially for a Californian like myself. Paul Dano does a respectable job considering the caliber of actor he has to play across from. Overall one of the best movies of the last 10 years to say the least.

Most of the critics of this film are such because of what some would call a lacking storyline or because of the heavily nuanced tone of the movie. This however does not hinder it, as though many people may not appreciate the gritty drama it offers, those who aren't looking for slash, bang, boom can appreciate the compelling story. The movie doesn't thrive on an overly explanatory and fully fleshed out dialogue, and in fact it may have been a much worse movie heavily weighted down with over-rationalization. What this movie does is grip at your emotions, it gets you to love, hate, aspire to be, and want to kill the characters in a fluctuating struggle of the good and evil in all of us. Rather than tell you who the characters are, the depths of their character are laid bare to be interpreted and in many ways disdained, but nonetheless enthralling.

A must see for anyone who can appreciate film for what all movies set out to do, inspire emotions within us, which this movie does in flying colors.

Cheers,
    Augustus

I thought it was decent. The lines were great however, much of the movie was boring. Daniel Day Lewis was superb and really kept the movie interesting. However, other than him nothing about the movie interested me. I though the movie would focus on his rise to power. Instead, it just focused on his purchase of a town. That's it. The 15 minute overture didn't make the movie anymore interesting either. Overall I would give the movie 3 stars.

spartan117's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Definitely a magnificent film, and Daniel Day Lewis is without a doubt one of the greatest actors of all time and certainly of the last 50 years. The music was breathtaking and eclectic, it had a sort of Godfather feel that makes you think someone is going to die around every corner, but still surprises you when they actually do. The screenplay was a breath of fresh air from the overly choreographed trash heap movies that have been flooding their way into theaters near you. The environment was really well portrayed, some of the scenes make you wonder how such a different seeming world was less than 100 years past, especially for a Californian like myself. Paul Dano does a respectable job considering the caliber of actor he has to play across from. Overall one of the best movies of the last 10 years to say the least.

Most of the critics of this film are such because of what some would call a lacking storyline or because of the heavily nuanced tone of the movie. This however does not hinder it, as though many people may not appreciate the gritty drama it offers, those who aren't looking for slash, bang, boom can appreciate the compelling story. The movie doesn't thrive on an overly explanatory and fully fleshed out dialogue, and in fact it may have been a much worse movie heavily weighted down with over-rationalization. What this movie does is grip at your emotions, it gets you to love, hate, aspire to be, and want to kill the characters in a fluctuating struggle of the good and evil in all of us. Rather than tell you who the characters are, the depths of their character are laid bare to be interpreted and in many ways disdained, but nonetheless enthralling.

A must see for anyone who can appreciate film for what all movies set out to do, inspire emotions within us, which this movie does in flying colors.

Cheers,
    Augustus
    couldnt agree more

Daniel Day Lewis is quite the exceptional dedicated actor. (although the character seemed a little similar to gangs of new york, but I still loved it)

“...a mesmerizing meditation on the American spirit in all its maddening ambiguities: mean and noble, angry and secretive, hypocritical and more than a little insane in its aspirations.”

I thought the end was horrible though. It was abrupt and left me wondering what will happen with daniel day lewis and his son, but not in a good way. (as in not a good way to end the film)

The movie should have been extended so as to continue the plot and finish with an adequate conclusion. In my opinion.

i fell asleep during the movie

when i rented it i thought it was going to be an action movie based on the title, but when i started to watch it and found out it is just a movie about oil, i leaned back in my chair and fell asleep

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

André Masséna's Avatar Vicarius

(although the character seemed a little similar to gangs of new york, but I still loved it)
    ...because he had the same voice?

Can't change his voice man. Why would you want to? It's dy-no-mite.
    America is an Apple pie
    with a few bad apples
    right toward the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast