Thread: Editing bc.cfg causing crash?

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Editing bc.cfg causing crash?

Hi,

I recently edited the bc.cfg file to enable the display of character names on the campaign map, and immediately afterwards I booted up the game. However, for the first time since my installation, I crashed to a blue screen almost immediately after loading my savegame. I tried a couple more times, all blue-screen crashes.

I thought it might have been my edit on the bc.cfg, so I went back and changed the "1" back into a "0" next to the "label_characters" entry. However, I am still experiencing the exact same crash, without fail, and I haven't been able to play since that first edit.

Is there some problem with the way I've edited the file? I was wondering if someone could upload a fresh file for me to replace mine, to see if that would work.

Thanks!

Default Re: Editing bc.cfg causing crash?

Some text editors leave or add extra text marks like hard return, I don't know what a good editor is because in all my mod attempts I crashed unfortunately for probably the same reason
    Roma, Acta est Fabula
    Released! version 0.9B of the mayor overhaul mod for IB2 Vandalorum

The only change I made though was from a 0 to a 1, and then back to 0. I'm wondering if somewhere I accidentally inserted a space or a character, and that's causing my issue. I was hoping a fresh file replacement would solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    The only change I made though was from a 0 to a 1, and then back to 0. I'm wondering if somewhere I accidentally inserted a space or a character, and that's causing my issue. I was hoping a fresh file replacement would solve it.
    to my humble oppinion you have eddited another file than bc.cfg because my plain bc.cfg looks like this:

[features]
    mod = broken_crescent
    [video]
    widescreen=0
    movies = false
    [game]
    allusers=1

What you are pointing to is in other mods i believe found in the imperial game map though i could not found what you really have altered
    Roma, Acta est Fabula
    Released! version 0.9B of the mayor overhaul mod for IB2 Vandalorum

It's strange that you crashed to a blue screen, usually it should just freeze or go to the desktop if you mess up a game file. I only get the blue screen with hardware issues.

Yeah, in the past I've had blue-screen crashes, and it *usually* was resolved by a fresh installation....this most recent crop of crashes occurred immediately after editing the game file, so I thought there might be a connection.

Update:

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I tried starting a new campaign (as Sindh) and I had no troubles running the game. Do you think my save files became corrupted some how?