Some notable residents of Florence in the Middle Ages:

Leonardo da Vinci
    Michelangelo Buonarroti
    Dante Alighieri
    Niccolò Machiavelli
    Masaccio
    Giovanni Bocaccio
    Filippo Bruneleschi

Florence also had the strongest currency in circulation in europe during the High Middle Ages, the Florin.

"The florin was struck from 1252 to 1523 with no significant change in its design or metal content standard. It had 54 grains of gold (3.5g). The "fiorino d'oro" of the Republic of Florence was the first European gold coin struck in sufficient quantities to play a significant commercial role since the seventh century. As many Florentine banks were international supercompanies with branches across Europe, the florin quickly became the dominant trade coin of Western Europe for large scale transactions, replacing silver bars in multiples of the mark (a weight unit equal to eight ounces)."

"The design of the original Florentine florins was the distinctive fleur de lis badge of the city on one side and on the other a standing facing figure of St. John the Baptist wearing a hair shirt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fiorino_1347.jpg

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Default Re: Faction - Republic of Florence

Florence or Genoa?

Edit: are both factions in?

Edit: They had an influence in Greece too but was it as significant as the influence of Genoe, Venice, Naples and Sicily?

Edit: How many factions are there in? Of course Latin states in this part of the map are necessary and spice the gameplay!
    Last edited by Visarion; January 28, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

They are both in. Check this thread out, it has a lot of useful info.

Artifex

ty! a very good mix of factions! I learned and/or remembered a lot today about Latin Factions in Greece! It was a very pleasant read! Glad Genoa is in too!

Edit: I made further investigations and agree that Florence should be in too as the son of a local nobleman was elected to govern Ioanina and because Florence later bought Athens and occupied Neopatria and it can make claims on Corinth too. I see on the map that Napoli already has Korkyra, Venice also has some settlements and probably Genoa too... and Venice will probably invade Kastro-Larissa later on or who knows maybe it will buy some regions around there or as is the practice in TW games bribe the local governors, because Venice actualy bought Argos and Naflio from the family of Brienne, I think who on behalf of Boniface of Montfortino took Athens and Achaia... Anyway a script should be set so that Latin factions can invade/buy settlements in Greece... and have a constant interest in Constantinople, Dyrrachium, Athens, Neopatria, Kastro-Larissa etc. I am curious how Trinacria and Naples will be represented... I think that Trapezond and Aydin had a place here too but... that is your choice... I mean they would have made a hard life for the Ottoman and Karamanians and stalled them a bit before invading Europe but again you made a great effort here and some great progress and innovations and whatever factions you chose will be fine by me! congratulations!

Oh and certain characters like Charles III should be represented but the question is who will have them? I mean Charles III can be an important actor for both Hungary and Naples but maybe he should be an important Napolitan actor... it certainly is a place for a script here for example Hungary can send an army led by Charles of Durazzo to capture Dyrrachium and later he can be bribed by Napolitans or something like that... anyway the conflict between Joan, Charles, Louis Anjou, the son of the king of France and Louis I Anjou the king of Hungary should be very interesting... and so should the Navarresse Company of Andria maybe represented by an invading Napolitan force with Amulghavar and Frankish mercenaries...

well now I know who will represent the emerging Crown of France invading from Savoy and Milan towards Naples... but still don't know who will represent the Crown of Aragon, maybe it will come to claim the titkle of Duke of Athens and Neopatria and/or give some help to the local Amulghavars?... actualy the Crown of France can invade in one or two waves depending on who you choose the Navarrsese Company to act for...

Edit: oh I could write the descriptions for let's say Athens and Neopatria, Naples and perhaps Trinacria and the Kingdom of Hungary and Croatia if you want and if it wasn't already done....

Oh and there should be towers and or/churches built on the Acropolis as both Franks and Catalans had this pretty unorthodox practice, in my opinion... but at least they didn't use it as a deposit for bombs as Venetians did later...
    Last edited by Visarion; January 29, 2012 at 09:42 AM.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

thanks for the info!, we will make good use of it... (+rep)

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Oh and there should be towers and or/churches built on the Acropolis as both Franks and Catalans had this pretty unorthodox practice, in my opinion... but at least they didn't use it as a deposit for bombs as Venetians did later...
    just a note:

Parthenon was turned in to a church in the byzantine times (~6th c. )... the temple that was used for the worship of the "Virgin Athena" (Parthenon comes from the word "parthena"[=virgin])... was tranformed and became a church to the honor of the "Virgin Mary" (or the church of "The Theotokos Atheniotissa" [=of Athens]... as the medieval greeks used to call her... the spiritual place was very important in the byz. world.. )... this is an exciting and fascinating example of the continuity and of the transformation of the "style" of praying from antiquity to modern times... despite the changes in the "figures" of worship, the old habits die hard (as the song goes).... the believers may worship a different person, but the way and the connection they have with that person (Theotokos in this case) is heavily influenced by the previous beliefs.... it demonstrates very beautifully the fondness for similarities connecting two diferrent religions... for finding common points... for finding a way of evolving from the "old world", to a new one... i find it almost fascinating... magical...

PS: sorry for the off-topic...

PS2: the ottomans had made the temple a gunpowder magazine during a siege [they were the besieged ones]... it was the Venetians who knew of this, and willingly attacked the building.... even though the building was twice as old as their republic....
    Last edited by SpyrosM91; January 29, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Artifex

I didn't knew about Virgin Athena... but I know that my grandmother called God Theos - θιός and that Romans called Him Deus,,, it sounds very much like Zeus to me and to Proto-Indo-European Dyēus... syncretism...

and I just remebered that sometimes she called Panayia (Virgin Mary) Them or Then meaning godess...
    Last edited by Visarion; January 29, 2012 at 04:45 PM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

I think that Trapezond and Aydin had a place here too but... that is your choice... I mean they would have made a hard life for the Ottoman and Karamanians and stalled them a bit before invading Europe but again you made a great effort here and some great progress and innovations and whatever factions you chose will be fine by me! congratulations!
    Actually the Aydins are a faction in the mod too so definetly more competition in Asia Minor. Plus the Knights St John will be besieging Smyrna so they will have a word to say in there too. The Empire of Trebizond is out of the boundary of the map. To have them in would mean extending the map further East and adding other factions too, but we are pretty much out of faction slots so not possible.

well now I know who will represent the emerging Crown of France invading from Savoy and Milan towards Naples... but still don't know who will represent the Crown of Aragon, maybe it will come to claim the titkle of Duke of Athens and Neopatria and/or give some help to the local Amulghavars?... actualy the Crown of France can invade in one or two waves depending on who you choose the Navarrsese Company to act for...
    The Crown of Aragon is represented by Alfonso V's invasion of Naples in 1442 when he conquered the Kingdom of Naples and ended the Angevin rule there.
    Last edited by Wallachian; January 29, 2012 at 06:56 PM.